SaltCritters.com

Clownfish getting in anemone periodically

Landofin

RIP Sebastian
11 minutes ago, Landofin said:

My clownfish only gets in my anemone periodically and then hides what is he doing he sleeps in it every night

That is normal. Some clowns never host, some host sporadically, and some clowns never leave the anemone.

• Like 2
BustytheSnowMaam

What type of nem?  Clown-nem pairings are species-specific.  It may be a type of nem that it doesn't normally host, so it's not sure about it.  

I have a red saddle-back clown that hosts in a condy.  A condy is a Carib anemone, so it wouldn't normally host clowns, and so it stings my clown.  My clown still brings it food and hangs out nearby, and sometimes manages to float in between its tentacles, but it never hosts within the condy completely.  

Its a Saebae Anemone and the clown is an ocellaris 

15 hours ago, tashayar said:

What type of nem?  Clown-nem pairings are species-specific.  It may be a type of nem that it doesn't normally host, so it's not sure about it.  

I have a red saddle-back clown that hosts in a condy.  A condy is a Carib anemone, so it wouldn't normally host clowns, and so it stings my clown.  My clown still brings it food and hangs out nearby, and sometimes manages to float in between its tentacles, but it never hosts within the condy completely.  

BustytheSnowMaam

Oscellaris clowns and sebae anemones don't usually pair.  They may take to each other eventually.  Oscellaris will normally pair with carpet or bubble-tip anemones.