Innovative Marine Aquariums

My first reef tank

JoeMan02

Hi guys! This is my first reef tank, It's a fluval evo 13.5 with the fluval SEA PS2 mini protein skimmer and a hydor koralina 240 pump. My first corals were a mushroom rock, kenya tree, and green palythoas. My tank has been set up for almost 7 months now and since I bought my first corals I have accumulated 14 more types and not my tank is really starting to look like a reef! My favorite corals include the multiple types of zoas i have collected, my red digi, my aussie green leather, and finally my orange galaxea.

The tank is stocked with a green chromi, two ocellaris clowns, and a royal gramma basselet, along with the classing cleanup crew of hermit crabs and some snails.

I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions! sorry about the poor picture quality, iPhone 6 :unsure: 

IMG_2976.JPG

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

Hi guys! This is my first reef tank, It's a fluval evo 13.5 with the fluval SEA PS2 mini protein skimmer and a hydor koralina 240 pump. My first corals were a mushroom rock, kenya tree, and green palythoas. My tank has been set up for almost 7 months now and since I bought my first corals I have accumulated 14 more types and not my tank is really starting to look like a reef! My favorite corals include the multiple types of zoas i have collected, my red digi, my aussie green leather, and finally my orange galaxea.

The tank is stocked with a green chromi, two ocellaris clowns, and a royal gramma basselet, along with the classing cleanup crew of hermit crabs and some snails.

I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions! sorry about the poor picture quality, iPhone 6 :unsure: 

IMG_2976.JPG

That Digitata looks nice. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Five.five-six said:

The whole thing looks nice, congrats :)  I'm hopeing to do so well myself.  Forgive the ignorance but what is the black in the sand?

It looks like it may be a black and white mixed sand--I know there's at least one company that offers this.  There's also a couple types of black sand available, which looks very striking but can be kind of a pain to keep clean sometimes.  :welcome: to N-R!

2 hours ago, Five.five-six said:

The whole thing looks nice, congrats :)  I'm hopeing to do so well myself.  Forgive the ignorance but what is the black in the sand?

like lula said its just black sand mixed with white. Goodluck with your tank, if you have any questions just pm me. im also planning on starting a youtube channel centered around my tanks, will include a link in my profile once its up.

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

that is le awesome! 

have you done any equipment upgrades over stock parts? 

Thanks! No upgrades to the tech it came with, but I have added two hydor circulation pumps and the heater is a cobalt. The lighting is actually doing a pretty good job which is great because I haven't had to shell out $200 for a new lighting unit! ;)omgomgomg

In other news, I got a hydor picto pump (i think that's what it's called) to give more surface flow but for some reason I still have this oily film issue at the top of the water. The skimmer is working fine, what could be causing this issue?

WIN_20170807_19_14_48_Pro_LI.jpg