Pod Your Reef

Homemade 5gl cylindrical vertical tank !

AVisual671

Just set one up ! New too saltwater  aquariums hobbie any advice my tank  set up is 37" vertical  cylindrical  x 12 " round . I got 5 live rock  hanging  with 20gl external  filter  pump and one small powerhead !!!! And two coral brand shrimps !!!! Any suggestions  on fishes too get and corals !!!! Any help will be helpful thanks !!!!

20170718_230157.jpg

20170719_175646.jpg

• Like 2

It looks good but my concern would be the size of rocks. It doesn't leave much room for cleaning, fish swimming or coral placement.

Your tank needs to cycle and you need to test it to ensure the cycle is started and finished 

What kind of lighting are you running?

If it's your first tank, I wouldn't do seahorses. They have very specific needs

• Like 6

That's insane, especially considering it's not easy to make them. The only issue is the dimensions, makes it difficult to clean the bottom. Maybe a sea grass tank with a very deep (10in) sandbed and a jawfish would be cool. Also the tank is closer to 15 US gallons if its diameter is 12in.

I'm thinking a magnetic cleaner might work but I can remove the rocks in one time it has suspension support which  can be removed  if need be !!!! Oh ya my led  lights are spare blue red green led modules that I just put together  with a 12v out computer plug !!! Maybe I need a white led color to match with the blue maybe ? Hey I'm new  too  this just learning on the fly !!! Will cycle the water some time but I'm thinking  I just can get new water for the sea I live new the beach 5 gl is no problem . Any way I know you guys are pro's too this thanks for the input !!!! Cheers 

20170720_172217.jpg

Water won't cycle a tank.  The nitrifying bacteria reside on hard surfaces (rock and sand).  Also, water from the beach can contain pollution.

I wouldn't put any live coral in this tank.  The light will not penetrate very far.  The bottom half would only support NPS.  Also, there is very little room for growth.

However, it IS a very interesting and unique tank.  I think you'll be able to clean the walls with a magnet cleaner.  Siphoning detritus off the bottom will prove more challenging.  A long rigid tube might allow you to get down that low.

• Like 4

Yeah it's tight in there  but it got some nooks too place coral !! A good challenge are fun !

15 minutes ago, seabass said:

Water won't cycle a tank.  The nitrifying bacteria reside on hard surfaces (rock and sand).  Also, water from the beach can contain pollution.

I wouldn't put any live coral in this tank.  The light will not penetrate very far.  The bottom half would only support NPS.  Also, there is very little room for growth.

However, it IS a very interesting and unique tank.  I think you'll be able to clean the walls with a magnet cleaner.  Siphoning detritus off the bottom will prove more challenging.  A long rigid tube might allow you to get down that low.

The led lights are vertical  set up so the penetration is fine . Well  the water  comes from  a low tide current which enters the bay from the ocean i mean the deep blue ocean less chance  of pollution , but there is pollution  here too heck this this planet  is getting  bad when it comes too reef systems just wanna see it every  time I come home !!!

20170720_180217.jpg

You're new to this. You aren't understanding what we are trying to impart.

The info we are giving you is to prevent you wasting time, causing death to livestock, and having success.

You can do it what ever way you want but know that improper cleaning and tight rocks-leads to high nutrients and then massive uncontrollable algae. Which wi'll be very difficult to control and remove with all that rockwork.

Improper lighting- you simply will kill the corals with those lights and they will help with adding algae.

It's not about challenge. Corals need a certain type of light and they need  room for movement and growth. 

Corals need leds in the 10,000k to 20,000k range. The k represents Kelvins. 

Standard leds are usually 0.5 watt and in the Kelvin range of 5000-6500k (algae growing)

Water doesn't cycle a tank. Your rocks do and you need it properly cycled to have any livestock in it.

Using sea water is a mistake due to pollutants and parasites.

You need to do a lot of research to have success in this hobby. It's the number 1 advice given. Research, Research, and research more.

If it were me. I'd take the rock out. Break it up and use less.

Plan on cycling it, start testing for that, research while waiting during that period

Plan on a better light if you want corals

• Like 7

Cool tank!

As others have said, you will need to upgrade the light to something appropriate spectrum and POWERFUL enough to house corals. 

Be sure to test your water frequently for awhile, I am not sure how new the tank is or where your live rock is from... but... changes in light/flow, ect can cause die off and a cycle which could kill your shrimp.

• 3 weeks later...

Just about a month !!! Update on my vertical 5gl tank ! All is great added fishys my four three stripes damsels two saron shrimps two five lined cardinalfish . Two snails and my paired  coral  branded shrimp and some crabs in the mix they all get along  great they feed on flakes ! My homemade light set up is good no algae growth only very little which my snails will clean up no problemo . Got a coral growing out my live rock don't know what kind ? No skimmer  thinking of making one .? This have too be nano a small one !!! I do regular water changes oh yeah  my two branded shrimp molted!!! So cool two see them get new pinchers 

20170810_175353.jpg

3 hours ago, AVisual671 said:

With the amount  of live rocks  and live stocks in this 5gl tank things  should go south !! But all is well !!

As @1.0reef stated, a 37" cylinder with 12" diameter would be a 18 gallon tank (not 5).  A 12" circumference would be less than 2 gallons.  So is it 12" in diameter?