Pod Your Reef

Lighting time for reef

Lugmos12

I saw this video by a well known reefer on YouTube (my question is below):

He basically talks about the position of the sun throughout the day in relation to light intensity. Now my question is, for those of us that cannot control the intensity of the light in our tanks, should we be cutting down the time our lights are on during the day. My are on a timer for about 8-10 hours a day. I've read that corals need about 8 hours per day.

any thoughts on this?

First of all, major props to Melev's Reef.  I use information provided from there all of the time.  Plus, his reef tanks are something to envy (and I'd love that platform he has on his main reef tank).  Love the setup!

His lighting is also very impressive, and much of the information in the video is helpful.  Although most of us cannot replicate certain aspects of his setup; and to be honest, don't really need to.  Some of what he does is an attempt to mimic nature, but isn't required.

I'm pretty sure that his drawing explaining the light cycle didn't accurately describe how the intensity actually changes.  It has more to do with the angle of penetration and light spread than the closeness of the sun.  Still, the intensity does change throughout the day, and he replicates that surprisingly well with MH lighting.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

If you can't program a replication of sunrise and sunset with ramping or the percentage of the leds used 8hrs would be enough.

8 hours for the main light or does that include the actinic as well? 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

T5: actinic and white

Actinic for 1hr(or 2)

Both for 8hrs

Actinic 1hr(or 2)

I'd do actinic for 1 hour before and after (10 hours total).  If you can, do a half an hour before and after (9 hours total).

• Like 1