SaltCritters.com

New 3.7 Fish Only Pico up and running

Jholm007

On 13/07/2017 at 4:42 PM, Jholm007 said:

No.  Just LR, LS and water from LFS. Should I have?

Liverock is enough. It cycles the tank quickly if there is even a cycle.

13 hours ago, LX20000 said:

Always sad to see fish in a tank this small.

Depends on the fish.

I have 2 clowns in a 10g. Clowns generally hang out in one area.

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Depends on the fish.

There is a decent difference between 10 gallons and 3.7 gallons, not to mention water quality issues with two clowns in a tank this small. I know opinions are always changing as we progress in this hobby, but I think we need to stop accepting behavior like this. There are very few fish that are acceptable to put in this tank, and people saying "oh they are happy" is just them excusing themselves. 

• Like 4

I Normally Wouldn't  Recommend A Clown For Under 10g. For some reason I thought the tank was 7g.

I'd say a small goby like a clown goby or even the tailspot blenny because it's pretty small.

The light is a Wave Point 6" 12w Super Blue & 10000k Daylight Blade HO LED with Dual on/off switch.

http://www.wave-point.com/Lighting_folder/Blade HO LED light.html

I also do 50% water changes every 3-5 days.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we all know what they say about those.  As I said before, these clowns will be moving on up in a couple weeks.  They are so small right now, maybe an inch and a 1/4, that they have bonded.  Once I move them over they will be fine.

I appreciate all of the feedback and advise you guys are providing. 

5 minutes ago, Jholm007 said:

The light is a Wave Point 6" 12w Super Blue & 10000k Daylight Blade HO LED with Dual on/off switch.

http://www.wave-point.com/Lighting_folder/Blade HO LED light.html

I also do 50% water changes every 3-5 days.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we all know what they say about those.  As I said before, these clowns will be moving on up in a couple weeks.  They are so small right now, maybe an inch and a 1/4, that they have bonded.  Once I move them over they will be fine.

I appreciate all of the feedback and advise you guys are providing. 

I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but in your first post you admitted to being new to saltwater, and thus reefs. I would try to take the advise of those with more experience in this hobby, and assume there is a reason they are telling you things. But we all know what they say about assuming, don't we? 

• Like 4

I added a couple zoas and a mushroom last night.  The nice lady at the LFS also gave me a small branch of Kenya tree.  What other softies should I look to add?  Thinking about a candy cane, but I also want to get more color in the tank.  Not sure of the names of the stuff I put in last night, but looking for more blue and purple. 

13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Depends on the fish.

10 Gallon, vastly different.... and this is 3.5 with a huge rock in it... probably 1.5 gallons of water.

If I stick you in a closet, and pass in food and water, and open the closet door 6 months later, and you're alive, I can't quite say "You were quite happy in there".

Just now, LX20000 said:

10 Gallon, vastly different.... and this is 3.5 with a huge rock in it... probably 1.5 gallons of water.

If I stick you in a closet, and pass in food and water, and open the closet door 6 months later, and you're alive, I can't quite say "You were quite happy in there".

Ease up on the attitude!

I already said I thought it was a 7g.

6 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

No attitude.  Just a comment.

My apologies but the comment came off sarcastic to me as I already corrected what I originally stated.

The op is planning on moving them to a bigger home soon.

Tiny clownfish with proper care of the Pico should be fine for a short duration.

I have noticed subtle behavioral differences when clowns are in larger tanks. Sounds like an upgrade is planned anyways though, enjoy it :)

• Like 1

12w and you have it right on the glass top? I would just stick with what you got for another month. If I could I would just load my tank with all kinds of stuff but it would destroy my tank. My Duncan and hammer are doing great I'm my 3.7 and add a lot of movement to the tank. 

To actually add something to the thread that you'll find valuable, I would wait out switching the light until you find how this one suits your needs. The wattage doesn't really mean as much as it used to, but this light will probably work fine for softies and whatnot. There are plenty of decent options out there, but you're going to invest some money in most of them. I had a coral compulsion par30 on this tank before I upgraded, but the kessil a80 or the nanobox mini would be even better options. 

22 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

To actually add something to the thread that you'll find valuable, I would wait out switching the light until you find how this one suits your needs. The wattage doesn't really mean as much as it used to, but this light will probably work fine for softies and whatnot. There are plenty of decent options out there, but you're going to invest some money in most of them. I had a coral compulsion par30 on this tank before I upgraded, but the kessil a80 or the nanobox mini would be even better options. 

I ment stick with the livestock (corals) another month not the light. The light is fine, maybe too bright...? Who knows. I have a 12w over my thank at 4" above water and it is extremely bright.

I am just going to let my tank chill for a bit.  I will say that I hate the crabs I have.  They keep knocking my frags over.  Should have just went with snails. 

On 7/18/2017 at 8:13 AM, LX20000 said:

Always sad to see fish in a tank this small.

22 hours ago, LX20000 said:

Probably more like 2-2.5 gallons as the rock looks pretty porous, and some small gobies or blennies would be absolutely fine in a tank this size if well maintained.  I absolutely don't think two clowns is appropriate for this size tank but since the OP is upgrading in the near future, I'm not going to say anything further about it, lest he tune out all further advice I could offer in the future.  Not everyone has room for multiple larger tanks and even someone with a small tank should be able to keep a fish appropriate for the tank.

37 minutes ago, Jholm007 said:

I am just going to let my tank chill for a bit.  I will say that I hate the crabs I have.  They keep knocking my frags over.  Should have just went with snails. 

Hermits are trouble, I tell ya.  Nothin' but trouble! ;)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

You're right.

Led's wattage and standard lights like florescent and halides wattage isn't comparable at all. Therefore focusing on wattage is a waste.

It's really about the spectrum, the optic spread, the par depth of an led light. 

Par 30's and par38's are under rated in this hobby.

Snails and hermits knock things over. Glue the plugs down.

I personally never have issues with my hermits other than knocking something down that I haven't glued down

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LX20000 said:

Snails will knock frags all over the place as well.....

Yes, but hermits may also eat them. :P Or harass them relentlessly lol.  I've avoided hermits ever since an experience with a zebra hermit turned me off to them. :unsure:

gone_PHiSHin

zebras are the worst 

followed by blue legs

i don't know how anyone with a nano even thinks about putting in any other hermit other than a scarlet 

• Like 2

I have zebras, blue legged, and scarlet in both my nano's.

No snail murders, no destruction, no fights.

I've had one issue. My one frag was knocked over because I didn't glue it properly 

It's funny how people can have such different experiences with the same type of crab.  I will say, though, that I've consistently heard horror stories about zebras in particular.  You must've gotten a nice, docile one, clown!