SaltCritters.com

Greg's 60 gallon NonPhotosynthetic Cube FTS 8/16/17

GregEmmitte

Live-plants.com sells turtle grass for example. But they don't always have it. Gulfspecimen can just go for a swim and get it on demand. So for me, it's worth it. If I want it right now.

48 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Live-plants.com sells turtle grass for example. But they don't always have it. Gulfspecimen can just go for a swim and get it on demand. So for me, it's worth it. If I want it right now.

I'll have to see if they allow local pick up.  Probably worth the drive.  

It also looks like it's open to the public to explore.  Probably definitely worth the drive :D

https://www.facebook.com/GulfSpecimenAquarium/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34541-d1853110-Reviews-Gulf_Specimen_Marine_Lab_Aquarium-Panacea_Florida.html

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

@lkoechle I'm planning a trip next year to FL. I'm going in search of Spanish coins, see the reefs and stop by this place.

Let me know what your plans are.  It'd be cool to meet up!  Most of the spanish wrecks I believe are in south Florida.  The Mel Fisher Museum (which I've always wanted to go to) is in the Keys.  But St.  Augustine is a wealth of information on Spanish colonialism (and just south of me lol)  and the old city and Castillo de San Marcos are beautiful.  Seriously, like St. Augustine Old City is one of my favorite places in Florida.  If you're a diver (which I'm assuming you are), a lot of the springs are great for diving.  Blue Springs which is where I grew up in DeLand/Orange City, has an underground cave and the spring is like 100+ feet deep.  But be careful, divers have been killed down there.  I, on the other hand, am too claustrophobic to learn how to dive. lol

• Like 3

I'm 5'11". So if I'm in 6 feet of water I'm dead lol. 

Theres some beaches up north where coins are still found, especially after storms. 

The atocha castle is still deep off he coast and undiscovered. Mel fisher has rights to it but it's expected to have an unimaginable load of gold, silver and emeralds.

this is all I have, for now.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, GregEmmitte said:

I'm 5'11". So if I'm in 6 feet of water I'm dead lol. 

Theres some beaches up north where coins are still found, especially after storms. 

The atocha castle is still deep off he coast and undiscovered. Mel fisher has rights to it but it's expected to have an unimaginable load of gold, silver and emeralds.

this is all I have, for now.

Thats cool! I never knew that.  THAT would be a beach find.  My best is a juvenile Megladon tooth.  If you are into fossils, Florida is a hot bed for Pleistocene fossils.  The Peace River is great. Or so I've heard.  My kids are far too young so I haven't gone :( 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

@lkoechle I'm planning a trip next year to FL. I'm going in search of Spanish coins, see the reefs and stop by this place.

47 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Let me know what your plans are.  It'd be cool to meet up!  Most of the spanish wrecks I believe are in south Florida.  The Mel Fisher Museum (which I've always wanted to go to) is in the Keys.  But St.  Augustine is a wealth of information on Spanish colonialism (and just south of me lol)  and the old city and Castillo de San Marcos are beautiful.  Seriously, like St. Augustine Old City is one of my favorite places in Florida.  If you're a diver (which I'm assuming you are), a lot of the springs are great for diving.  Blue Springs which is where I grew up in DeLand/Orange City, has an underground cave and the spring is like 100+ feet deep.  But be careful, divers have been killed down there.  I, on the other hand, am too claustrophobic to learn how to dive. lol

Yes, seems most of the treasures are found in waters off of Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin counties in relatively shallow water. Hutchinson and Jupiter Islands are hot spots, and like you said, after a storm, especially something like a hurricane or tropical storm. But the best reefs are in Palm Beach County or down in the keys. There are reefs north, but they tend to be very deep and the water is not as clear. On a good day in palm beach we can see top to bottom on an 80 foot dive!

• Like 2
Thunder Goose
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

A local shop had 1/2" nubs of sinularia for like $20 lol.  $40-50 seems pretty common for toadstools, and Diver's Den yesterday had some gorgeous purple ones with green polyps.  Their $99 free shipping right now is an awesome deal (but you have to order all from the same location to hit the $99 at least once, not $99 between all locations).

Did LA change their free shipping? Two weeks ago I ordered from them and had stuff shipped free from THREE DIFFERENT locations! It was actually cheaper to order more stuff than just the stuff I was shopping for!

3 hours ago, lkoechle said:

My dad grew up in St. Augustine! We went there a lot as a kid (it was driving distance and my mom's family wasn't). I love the Alligator Farm, too!

If you order enough to meet the free shipping threshold in one location (at least for overnight shipped items), it seems to give free shipping at other locations as well.  I'll have packages coming from four locations on Weds lol.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:59 AM, lkoechle said:

Thats cool! I never knew that.  THAT would be a beach find.  My best is a juvenile Megladon tooth.  If you are into fossils, Florida is a hot bed for Pleistocene fossils.  The Peace River is great. Or so I've heard.  My kids are far too young so I haven't gone :( 

What beach did you find a juvenile Megladon tooth?!

4 minutes ago, samnaz said:

What beach did you find a juvenile Megladon tooth?!

One of the gulf side beaches, probably Venice area.  Thats where I find most of my shark teeth.  I've only found a handful on the atlantic side.

2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

One of the gulf side beaches, probably Venice area.  Thats where I find most of my shark teeth.  I've only found a handful on the atlantic side.

Dang I've searched all my life for a shark tooth, no luck. I only lived in FL for 12 years though, and I was born there so obviously too young to go shark tooth hunting... but I visit 2-3 times a year since then (gulf side), spend all my time beach combing. 

5 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Dang I've searched all my life for a shark tooth, no luck. I only lived in FL for 12 years though, and I was born there so obviously too young to go shark tooth hunting... but I visit 2-3 times a year since then (gulf side), spend all my time beach combing. 

Well, the gulf beaches near venice are full of them!  Look for very grainey sand (not the fine stuff)  that has little black specs in it (which are usually pulverized fossils).  Look near tide lines like during low tide.  They're all mixed in with the sand, take handfuls and sift through them.  They're there!  I have a few hundred teeth.  I've been trying to figure out what to do with them.  When my son was little, I had a portion of the teeth in an old perscription pill bottle.  He thought it was the best rattle. lol I've thought about catalouging them and putting them in shadow box frames, but the idea is so daunting.  And remember, most of the teeth are quite small.  So you're not usually going to find them unless you're sifting.  And the meg tooth is as long as my thumb and it was still buried in a handful of mud.

• Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...