Top Shelf Aquatics

Haley's IM 10 Nuvo Black - 10/17 FTS

haleschristine

21 hours ago, haleschristine said:

Thank you! I think I will have to use bags for my fish and shrimp.. They're too big for the cups.

Can probably pick a few bags up from Petsmart or wherever, I've gotten them free before when I explained I was moving.

Mckinney0171

you can buy seachem bags from premium aquatics if you want to.  that way you can double or triple bag with no worries.  they come in bundles of 100.

2 hours ago, Mckinney0171 said:

you can buy seachem bags from premium aquatics if you want to.  that way you can double or triple bag with no worries.  they come in bundles of 100.

Might not have time for that...guessing some disruption of delivery services may have occurred too with most of Houston out of commission.

Mckinney0171
54 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Might not have time for that...guessing some disruption of delivery services may have occurred too with most of Houston out of commission.

good point.  LFS bags for now.  i keep a bunch of those seachem bags on hand all the time just in case though as i also live on the coast.  never know...

• Like 1

Your plan seems pretty solid. I can't speak from experience but I'm moving a tank soon. I've read up on it for countless hours and have spent way too much time planning and preparing for it. It seems like the most stressful thing ever. 

The best suggestion I can give is to prepare as much as you possibly can BEFORE the day of the move. Especially since you'll be driving for hours, that's gonna give you less time for the take down/set up.  

Make your tank as clean as possible before the move. Get out as much detritus as you can. This will help to prevent stirring up all the untouched dead stuff hiding in the sand and on/under the rocks. Good call on ditching the old sand. With such a small size tank it's just not worth the time and hassle to re-use. 

I would even suggest cleaning the equipment (filter, heater, PH, etc) a day or two before the move day. Saves you some time, and gives you a few less things to worry about.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Your plan seems pretty solid. I can't speak from experience but I'm moving a tank soon. I've read up on it for countless hours and have spent way too much time planning and preparing for it. It seems like the most stressful thing ever. 

The best suggestion I can give is to prepare as much as you possibly can BEFORE the day of the move. Especially since you'll be driving for hours, that's gonna give you less time for the take down/set up.  

Make your tank as clean as possible before the move. Get out as much detritus as you can. This will help to prevent stirring up all the untouched dead stuff hiding in the sand and on/under the rocks. Good call on ditching the old sand. With such a small size tank it's just not worth the time and hassle to re-use. 

I would even suggest cleaning the equipment (filter, heater, PH, etc) a day or two before the move day. Saves you some time, and gives you a few less things to worry about.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

Yes.  Always plan for it to take at least a third or half longer than you think it will, and then longer still lol.

• 2 weeks later...
haleschristine

After this past weekend, I am pretty sure I am never moving again... Anyone planning on moving their tanks in the future... there are 2 necessities - lots of extra water and lots of extra towels.

• Haha 1
On 9/14/2017 at 3:51 PM, haleschristine said:

After this past weekend, I am pretty sure I am never moving again... Anyone planning on moving their tanks in the future... there are 2 necessities - lots of extra water and lots of extra towels.

So true.  ALL the towels! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
haleschristine

The Pom Pom is doing great! He did drop his anemone within a week though. He hid for a while but now he comes out as soon as the lights come off and he pokes around the tank. They're super cool little guys. I got him from Urban Aquatics in Houston - they have a really awesome selection of livestock.

The firefish on the other hand has disappeared :(  And my watchman goby jumped... So the tank is currently fishless.

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
haleschristine

And this tank is now taken down... I unfortunately got extremely lazy and ended up having a horrific GHA break out that I just could not get rid of for the life of me. It also didn't help that although it was only a 10 gallon, it just took up too much room in my already tiny apartment.

However ..... I of course cannot go without a tank so I went out and bought the evo v.  Spent all last weekend putting it up and scrubbing the bajezuz out of the rocks with hydrogen peroxide. So new build thread coming soon. :)

• Like 1