Top Shelf Aquatics

5.5 Gallon Mixed Reef

Lorekeeper

Just go it done. Ended up mixing it with water a 1.024, to bring it up to 1.023 (it was at 1.022).

Hopefully that helps a bit.

1 hour ago, Lorekeeper said:

Ah, probably a good choice.

If Shirley doesn't make it, will you be getting another Pom Pom or are you going to try out something else?

I'll probably see if I can get another pom pom.  They are just so cute!  And perfect for teeny tanks.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'll probably see if I can get another pom pom.  They are just so cute!  And perfect for teeny tanks.

Good that you aren't giving up on them!

Still haven't really decided on what I want to get... though I was getting the Pederson Shrimp for sure, but so many options!

I may make a list of shrimp/crabs my LFS has next month when I go for the Trochus snail and coral/macros. I know he had a lot of the larger species, but I don't remember seeing many that were fit for picos. He did have on of the "royal" firefish that go for like $110 though... beautiful, but I don't think I could pay that much for a fish!

26 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

Good that you aren't giving up on them!

Still haven't really decided on what I want to get... though I was getting the Pederson Shrimp for sure, but so many options!

I may make a list of shrimp/crabs my LFS has next month when I go for the Trochus snail and coral/macros. I know he had a lot of the larger species, but I don't remember seeing many that were fit for picos. He did have on of the "royal" firefish that go for like $110 though... beautiful, but I don't think I could pay that much for a fish!

Nah, pom poms are my fave!  Can't give up on them!

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nah, pom poms are my fave!  Can't give up on them!

Good to know!

Since nothing new has really happened, just wanted to share a dumb little project I started on Friday night.

A 140 ML planted tank! Not really.

It's a 1 oz mason jar that I through some gravel, java moss (Freshwater chaeto!), and anacharis into. It's sole inhabitant is a juvenile MTS snail (same species that's in the reef), and it's lit by the window.

No heat, and no circulation.

The tank is actually small and dark enough that my phone can't take decent pics of it. But here's it next to a 500ml bottle of stability:58eab7830c2b4_140ML.thumb.jpg.8a77cebeb7a32ce1eb22e7c1d92d4dca.jpg

and here's the tank by itself

58eab78ab4c66_140ML02.thumb.jpg.4d3169fab44b7b10ef340320c2fd6cba.jpg

Today's water test showed:

Ammonia: 0.25 PPM

Nitrite: 2-3 PPM

Nitrate:80-160 PPM

Is it normal to have THIS much nitrate? I've never seen anything above 80 in my other tanks!

It's API.

I've always used the brand with pretty good success. I did have the salifert ammonia/nitrite/nitrite kits at one point, and they tested the same as the API did. They were much easier to read.

Yeah, I agree, just saying that I don't think it's the brand.

The test itself may have gone bad, as it is a year or so old. The experation date is dated 2019 though, so I'm not sure.

So, tank is still cycling (as far as I know), as I'm still getting some ammonia/Nitrite. Both have dropped to around 0.5 PPM.

I think my Nitrate test is still good, as my tap water is testing 0, and my planted tank is testing a consistent 5 PPM throughout the week. So maybe I really do have that much Nitrate? There is a metric TON of die-off.

The rocks have begun to shed their out coating of dead crap, but other than that, not a thing has changed. I've got a local reefer that's offered me a mat of GSP and a type of less-invasive Caulerpa. It's still a fast grower, but I don't think it's as bad as Prolifera.

So, just got back from the LFS.

Ended up with a $1 zoa colony, and a $0.50 mexican turbo snail, with a brittle star hitchhiker. Pics to come!

• Like 2

Yeah, I've been busy with AP tests/finals lately.

Had the diatom bloom last week, and had o/o/80. Decided to start stocking this weekend.

• Like 1

So, waiting for the water to clear a bit before pics, but just a few questions and comments:

Apparently, my SG has dipped to 1.021. I know that's low, but is it immediately harmful to corals/inverts? I can bring it up pretty easily over the next few days, but should I do it in one swoop?

Are turbo snails known for escaping? During acclimation, he tried to crawl out 2-3 times and it was pretty annoying. 

Are turbo snails shy? He hasn't really moved since he was put into the tank, while the coral has opened up (except for 2 polyps) and started moving into the light a bit. Worried that I hurt the poor guy :(

I also got a sea star hitchhiker (bristlestar? I can't for the life of me think of the name of them, but they're tiny sand sifters) and a single copepod.

Is prob a brittlestar. 

Turbos don't usually try to escape, but Nerite snails definitely will. 

Raise the SG gradually, maybe one point a day. 

Alright, thanks.

In the store, the zoas looked almost completely brown (hence the $1 price tag). In the tank, they've got a neon green/yellow mouth, and a much more colorful apperance overall. Very pleased with my $1.50 purchase.

Also got a bucket of Reef Crystals while I was up there for $25.

• Like 1

So I got a pleasant surprise...

The MTS!!!

MTS.thumb.jpg.ba1fa048d478eea35eaea3860df7b079.jpg

He survived the acclimation, plus a looonnngggg cycle. Tough little guy!

Here's the turbo. He's began exploring/cleaning already!

He has lots of coraline on his shell, so I'm hopeful that it'll spread.

Turbo.thumb.jpg.c40b77ddb527765209a0ede0b8fd7880.jpg

And finally, the zoas.

Their color is much duller in pics, but they still don't look awful. The snot has cleared for the most part, and they're extending.

Zoas.thumb.jpg.6251db4405d02218cc28bd4cb5caaaf2.jpg

• Like 1

So, second day, and no disaster so far. In fact, everything seems to be doing well.

The snail has cleaned up a large portion of the tank, and watching him traverse the rock has been pretty fun. So far, he hasn't done anything that I wouldn't want him to do, so I'm feeling good there.

The coral has colored up even more since yesterday, and the green has become more of a yellow. All polyps are extended and open, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be doing well.

Salinity is up a point from yesterday, and I tested the store water the stuff came in. Tested at 1.019. The coral and the snail both come out of a beautiful frag tank, that had softies, LPS, and a few SPS. Tons of Turbo snails, hermits, and there's probably quite a few things that I didn't even notice. How can a tank like that be run at that low of a sg? I guess I don't exactly know what to look for when looking for Salinity stress, but everything in the tank looked to be doing extremely well, especially the softies.

10 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

So, second day, and no disaster so far. In fact, everything seems to be doing well.

The snail has cleaned up a large portion of the tank, and watching him traverse the rock has been pretty fun. So far, he hasn't done anything that I wouldn't want him to do, so I'm feeling good there.

The coral has colored up even more since yesterday, and the green has become more of a yellow. All polyps are extended and open, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be doing well.

Salinity is up a point from yesterday, and I tested the store water the stuff came in. Tested at 1.019. The coral and the snail both come out of a beautiful frag tank, that had softies, LPS, and a few SPS. Tons of Turbo snails, hermits, and there's probably quite a few things that I didn't even notice. How can a tank like that be run at that low of a sg? I guess I don't exactly know what to look for when looking for Salinity stress, but everything in the tank looked to be doing extremely well, especially the softies.

I admit, that surprises me too. 

It looks like things are doing pretty well in your Jar right now. 

That's cool that the MTS made it!!!

Just now, Braun036 said:

I have a question for you are you running any kind of powerhead or fliter.  If so what kind I am thinking about doing one of these. 

I'm actually using a Top Fin 10 Gallon Internal filter turned down to 67 GPH.

If you don't mind the noise, an air stone would probably be a better choice, although the filter I have and most small powerheads would work fine.