SaltCritters.com

HighCurrent's 14g SPS Forest and Zoa Garden

HighCurrent

HighCurrent
46 minutes ago, Motolife said:

Tanks looking wicked! Have the same one on the way cant wait. Was wondering how the skimmer is working for you? I have one laying around so might try that before investing in something else. 

Thanks!! It would probably work great if you put it lower than I have it. I honestly installed it just for aeration. I truly believe it is not required for a tank like this. Maybe if you had an insane fish load lol. With a weekly to bi weekly water change, it should keep no3 and po4 levels in check.

22 minutes ago, HighCurrent said:

Thanks!! It would probably work great if you put it lower than I have it. I honestly installed it just for aeration. I truly believe it is not required for a tank like this. Maybe if you had an insane fish load lol. With a weekly to bi weekly water change, it should keep no3 and po4 levels in check.

Ok sweet thanks for the info

• Like 1
HighCurrent
On 5/5/2017 at 11:45 AM, Tuffryu said:

Tank is looking great dude! I'm now wondering if my clown goby is doing the same to my acros.

Thank you sir! Honestly, I about that looking through your tank thread. Was going to say something but thought MAYBE yours was behaving differently.

On 5/5/2017 at 1:19 PM, Reefer69 said:

Just curious what you keep your Alk and CA at?

Alk 8-8.5 CA 400-450 6ml of Bionic 1 & 2 everyday...for now lol.

Mine is behaving actually. I've started looking at him much more closely and when I see him on the branching digis, he's perfectly fine. Will plan on keeping him as he's by far my favorite.

• Like 1
HighCurrent
8 hours ago, Tuffryu said:

Mine is behaving actually. I've started looking at him much more closely and when I see him on the branching digis, he's perfectly fine. Will plan on keeping him as he's by far my favorite.

Yeah that's good to here! I really liked mine but he just hoped and tail slapped all over my acro.

1 minute ago, HighCurrent said:

FTS 5/8/2027

IMG_4283.thumb.JPG.046799223bd5cad420dc66610c897ab3.JPG

Dis tank is from da future? :huh::mellow::lol:

Looks really nice!  Love the little orange faces on the clowns!  Your frag plug garden looks very nice hehe :D

• Like 1
HighCurrent
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Dis tank is from da future? :huh::mellow::lol:

Looks really nice!  Love the little orange faces on the clowns!  Your frag plug garden looks very nice hehe :D

It has come to warn me about my tank!

Thanks. I'm getting really good at keeping ceramic plugs alive!

Krak God baby sprouting out!IMG_4281.thumb.JPG.77f611950d880ce4fc9990c9da8308ad.JPG

2 minutes ago, HighCurrent said:

It has come to warn me about my tank!

Thanks. I'm getting really good at keeping ceramic plugs alive!

Haha me too, better than some corals it seems.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
HighCurrent

So...unfortunate news...

I lost a couple acropora and the ones that have survived are pissed. About a week ago I did a WC and everything seemed fine. The next day I came home from work and EVERYTHING was super angry. First thing I checked was my salinity....41ppt! When mixing my salt couple days prior I must have added an extra half cup of salt. I thought that I checked my salinity as I always do but I must have forgot. 

Long story short, always always check your make up water or you could spike your alkalinity by about 4 points dkh in about 5 minutes. I have been pretty hard on myself about the whole thing. I have spoke with some other local reefers and they try and comfort me by telling me their tale of "this one time...". I must except it and strive on however, its pretty difficult lol. Especially, after everything was doing so well.

Lesson learned...the hard way!

7 minutes ago, HighCurrent said:

Tank is still sad and brown. May have also lost another acro ?

If it makes you feel better, something similar happened to me last weekend. I was doing a wc and unplugged my ATO. Unfortunately, the plug ended up in my tank and started oxidizing and rusting too. Over the course of 24 hours, I lost an entire colony of milli and birdsnest. Everything else is either bleached or browned out.

Shit happens to everyone in this hobby. :(:(:(

• Like 1
On 5/16/2017 at 8:29 PM, HighCurrent said:

So...unfortunate news...

I lost a couple acropora and the ones that have survived are pissed. About a week ago I did a WC and everything seemed fine. The next day I came home from work and EVERYTHING was super angry. First thing I checked was my salinity....41ppt! When mixing my salt couple days prior I must have added an extra half cup of salt. I thought that I checked my salinity as I always do but I must have forgot. 

Long story short, always always check your make up water or you could spike your alkalinity by about 4 points dkh in about 5 minutes. I have been pretty hard on myself about the whole thing. I have spoke with some other local reefers and they try and comfort me by telling me their tale of "this one time...". I must except it and strive on however, its pretty difficult lol. Especially, after everything was doing so well.

Lesson learned...the hard way!

3 hours ago, HighCurrent said:

Tank is still sad and brown. May have also lost another acro ?

Oh noooooo!  I'm so sorry that happened, it's an easy mistake to make.  No advice to offer but keep working to lower the salinity, and run some carbon.  Hopefully you'll still have a few nice pieces when it's past.

3 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

If it makes you feel better, something similar happened to me last weekend. I was doing a wc and unplugged my ATO. Unfortunately, the plug ended up in my tank and started oxidizing and rusting too. Over the course of 24 hours, I lost an entire colony of milli and birdsnest. Everything else is either bleached or browned out.

Shit happens to everyone in this hobby. :(:(:(

Ugh that stinks!  Sorry that happened!

• Like 1
HighCurrent

Thanks everyone for the support. I have been beating myself up pretty hard. My local fellow reefers have been supporting me and telling me the same. Lost 4 acro so far. Other seem to be holding on.

A buddy gave me a strawberry shortcake and a Tyree pink lemonade yesterday. They are both looking super happy. So the tank is back on track. I'm just waiting for corals to rebound.

IMG_4331.thumb.JPG.7b23926cf03a1ed1ced604afc2f2bc81.JPGIMG_4330.thumb.JPG.e209bca98a4d52604a0aa64fd05efecf.JPG

HighCurrent

Updated the OP. Removed and rearranged coral list since I lost quite a few. Also, only have SPS, zoas and gorgs now. Gave my shrooms and candy canes to a buddy.

Kicking it old school. New light over the tank.

592590a14dfc1_IMG_43491.thumb.JPG.c7d3a300e2f3aec34594831112c5915b.JPG

New stuff is looking super happy but most everything is still brown and closed. A few things are starting to come around though. I took out everything that was dead or on the way out.

5925911fc6b98_IMG_43501.thumb.JPG.0641359ce9e4fb45cf617609165c7ec9.JPG

• Like 1
HighCurrent
On 5/28/2017 at 2:34 PM, Bowen1022 said:

Jealous of those mini colonies. Hopefully the rework works out

We actually have an awesome local vendor here in Fort Wayne. I got 4 acropora and one green tip birdsnest mini colonies for $190.

IMG_4363.JPG.353f87ccbcab01f8e3c32682aa3d8e92.JPGIMG_4364.JPG.bdc15a62b68eade0ea1fd979f20e3a91.JPGIMG_4365.JPG.b20a910467251dff464c53086751d917.JPGIMG_4366.JPG.b11db0b6479b6c0f936142654817cd0c.JPG

These are his photos of the four acro mini colonies I purchased.

• Like 3