Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Evo 13.5 advises

EvilFish

Hi,

I need some advices for my new 13.5G Fluval Evo. The tank is really beautiful.

1. Fluval FP2 skimmer is good and silent?

2. Is there any better skimmer that will fit this tank? Like Reef Octopus Nano Skimmer NS80 or Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer (both cost half price of FP2).

3. Fluval M50 heater is fully submersible?

4. It's a good idea to use Biomax media in media chamber or 15lb live rock is enough?

5. The default 132G pump is OK? I have Hydor Koralia Evolution Nano Water Pump 240 GPH, is there any smaller pump? Like Sicce Voyager Nano Circulation and Stream Pump - 530gph.

6. Is there any good nano Automatic Top Off?

7. Can I put GFO in media chamber and BioPellets XL? How long they'll last?

Thanks

I'm not sure if theres another skimmer that will fit and a skimmer isn't necessary on a nano.

The stock pump should be fine, if you find it too weak then upgrade after.

The hydor 240 is pretty small, there is the hydor pico which is smaller but doesn't offer as much gph. 

The sicce is not smaller than the hydor.

I would diy a media basket, use filter floss and a good carbon. Ditch the sponge.

10-13 lbs rock in the display is enough.

You can use phosban or phosguard in a media bag but thats not necessary, I'd use as needed.

As far as i know bio pellets need a reactor.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, EvilFish said:

Hi,

I need some advices for my new 13.5G Fluval Evo. The tank is really beautiful.

1. Fluval FP2 skimmer is good and silent?

2. Is there any better skimmer that will fit this tank? Like Reef Octopus Nano Skimmer NS80 or Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer (both cost half price of FP2).

3. Fluval M50 heater is fully submersible?

4. It's a good idea to use Biomax media in media chamber or 15lb live rock is enough?

5. The default 132G pump is OK? I have Hydor Koralia Evolution Nano Water Pump 240 GPH, is there any smaller pump? Like Sicce Voyager Nano Circulation and Stream Pump - 530gph.

6. Is there any good nano Automatic Top Off?

7. Can I put GFO in media chamber and BioPellets XL? How long they'll last?

Thanks

I have the same tank..

1. as for the skimmer I believe its the Fluval PS2 nano skimmer. I have it, its not quiet, its not super loud.. it works good enough for the intended purpose
  2. I haven't seen another skimmer that fits..
  3. The fluval heaters are submersible, but I am using a Eheim Jager 75W
  4. I use biomax media along with 10lbs of live rock
  5. The default pump is ok, more flow would be nice, but not necessary, I have the hydor 420gph, then I switched to the Hydor 240gph. I have on order the Jebao SW2 and the Hydor Pico to try out.. I think the Jebao has a slightly smaller foot print
  6. I don't have an ATO
  7. can't comment on this either.

Best of luck with your decision, I love my tank!

Thanks friends!

So,  I'll stay with the included pump and maybe buy PS2 skimmer.

For media chamber, I'll DIY two media basket, one for filter floss and micro filter pad, another with 4 sections, for Biopellets XL (doesn't need reactor), GFO HC, Charbon and Purigen.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, EvilFish said:

Thanks friends!

So,  I'll stay with the included pump and maybe buy PS2 skimmer.

For media chamber, I'll DIY two media basket, one for filter floss and micro filter pad, another with 4 sections, for Biopellets XL (doesn't need reactor), GFO HC, Charbon and Purigen.

Thanks

I use the hydor centrifugal 300 and it's smaller than the stock pump. Gives you more room for the heater.

for skimmer I use the aquaticlife 115. It's nearly identical to the PS2. Only thing is the included brackets are too big so you'll have to zip tie the skimmer together. You may also want to do a silencing mod that you can find on google. I believe it's about half the price of PS2 for essentially the same skimmer.

26 minutes ago, Slayer33 said:

Do you use the skimmer plate with the upgraded pump? I find that the skimming plate does much for me.. it's on but at the lowest setting..

I like the skimmer plate a lot. It keeps my water level in the display at my desired level. Evaporation would only affect water level in the sump area, where I plan on putting my float valves in.

Is hydor centrifugal 300 much stronger than the fluval pump? 

In Canada aquaticlife 115 cost the same price as PS2 skimmer. Is there any mod to make PS2 more quiet? 

Is there any compatible ATO that fits sump area? 

Filter floss won't be a nitrate factory? 

Thanks

24 minutes ago, EvilFish said:

Is hydor centrifugal 300 much stronger than the fluval pump? 

In Canada aquaticlife 115 cost the same price as PS2 skimmer. Is there any mod to make PS2 more quiet? 

Is there any compatible ATO that fits sump area? 

Filter floss won't be a nitrate factory? 

Thanks

It's quite a lot stronger plus smaller so more room for heaters and stuff.

get the PS2 then. It's like a version with the silencing mod built in.

SmartATO? You may have to scrape off some of the honeycomb pattern though. Or you can diy an ato. 

Not if you switch out your floss frequently.

The tank doesn't need a skimmer. Anything 20g and under it isn't really needed.

If anything there are arguments that skimmers on 20g and under can strip the tanks of beneficial elements.

Filter floss should be changed 2 times a week.

Carbon bag should be rinsed weekly and changed every 3 weeks

Thanks friends, 

I have more questions:

Can I put stock light on timer? 

Is there any advantages to use 1 inch of sand bed instead of 0.5 inch? 

I am using the Current USA dual ramp timer. This works great on the stock light and allows you to adjust the intensity (Min/Max). What I've noticed is that if you set the min intensity from 1-10 it will be using the blue atinic lighting only, anything about 10 brings the white LEDs into play..

I installed 2 LED light strips I got off ebay (1 blue and 1 violet) and have these on my second channel of the ramp timer.. so how I have it working is from 10am-6pm I have 80% intensity on, but from 6pm-10pm I have the violet/blue atinics on. after 10pm the violet/blue atinics are set to 1/100 intensity over night.. its very dim, but just enough.

• Like 2

Most lights can be out on a timer but most light timers will just turn it on and off.

I don't know much of the light regarding programming, can the whites and blues be set to different percentages? 

There is no difference of 0.5 to 1" sand,  personal preference unless you get sand sifting gobies which have their cons. 

The less deep the easier to maintain with vacuuming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

How about this CUC for 12g?

Red-legged Hermit Crab (2)
Emerald Green Crab (1)
Pom Pom Crab (1)
Cleaner Shrimps (1)
Peppermint Shrimp (1)
Sand Sifting Starfish (1)
Porcelain Crab (1)

2x Nassarius snails
1x Cerith Snail
1x Nerite
2x Trochus snails 

It's good? Any advice?

Thanks

Not all at once. If the tank is new, start out with 2 hermits and 2 snails.

Shrimp need stable conditions so i'd wait on them. I don't recommend peppermints, they often go after corals 

Ya, sandsifting stars need a lot of food and nano's can't provide it, they end up dying.

I have a pom pom, he's pretty cool. Emeralds are good but may need removal when it gets too big.

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Shrimp need stable conditions so i'd wait on them. I don't recommend peppermints, they often go after corals 

Can I use two Cleaner Shrimps instead? How long I need to wait before adding the shrimps?

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Porcelain and pom pom don't really count as cuc.  Research the sand sifting starfish.

But those crabs are cool to watch? 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, sandsifting stars need a lot of food and nano's can't provide it, they end up dying.

I have a pom pom, he's pretty cool. Emeralds are good but may need removal when it gets too big.

Like this will be OK?

Red-legged Hermit Crab (2)
Emerald Green Crab (1)
Pom Pom Crab (1)
Cleaner Shrimps (2)
Porcelain Crab (1)

2x Nassarius snails
1x Cerith Snail
1x Nerite
2x Trochus snails 

Bioload will be OK with two clowns?

Cleaner shrimp don't actually clean. They clean fish of parasites if the fish allow it. I'd do 1 shrimp.

Not sure of all those crabs in a 13.5 will be fine.

They will compete for food and territory.

Porcelain crabs do well in pairs and anemones are their home which may be competition for clowns.

They should also not be housed with aggressive crabs. 

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+501+629&pcatid=629

15 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Cleaner shrimp don't actually clean. They clean fish of parasites if the fish allow it. I'd do 1 shrimp.

Not sure of all those crabs in a 13.5 will be fine.

They will compete for food and territory.

Porcelain crabs do well in pairs and anemones are their home which may be competition for clowns.

They should also not be housed with aggressive crabs. 

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+501+629&pcatid=629

Thanks

And now? 

Red-legged Hermit Crab (3)
Emerald Green Crab (1)
Cleaner Shrimps (1)

2x Nassarius snails
1x Cerith Snail
1x Nerite
2x Trochus snails

Do I need to add more snails? 

In a new tank, I'd stick with just the hermits and snails at this point.

Wait to add more as needed and wait to add the shrimp and crab till theres more for them to eat and the system is more stable