ReefCleaners.org

You'll be reading about this algae additive in the blogs soon

brandon429

And there lies the issue. It is not truly scientific. To really determine if it worked you would need at least three tanks. One with nothing done, one with just vibrant and normal maintenance and one with the ramped up maintenance. But since most of us have different set ups, different maintenance. different stock ( you get the picture) That may explain why it works for some and not others.

That is why I am quick to say "It appeared not to work for me" That by no way means it will not work for another

That's the thing. A lot of people that reported success with Vibrant also increased their maintenance at the same time so there's no telling if it was Vibrant doing anything or just snake oil...

That's the thing. A lot of people that reported success with Vibrant also increased their maintenance at the same time so there's no telling if it was Vibrant doing anything or just snake oil...

I can't really be the spokesperson for saltwater, but I can tell you that I did absolutely nothing but dump Vibrant into my freshwater tank - three days in, the turf algae carpeting the eco-complete substrate began to melt and turn grey, then disappeared by the end of the week with just two doses. Of course I didn't do any nutrient export, so after it disappeared, black cyano took advantage of the nutrients. The plants are just now beginning to outcompete it (because other than refreshing the sachem matrix carbon one time in the past couple of months, I still haven't done anything).

• Like 3

Vacuum Sand bed. Keep sump area detritus free. Do regular water changes (25% weekly). You won't have issues...

Also, if your base rock wasn't cured, it would be holding a ton of phosphate. Just a thought.

Been doing this for 12 years now. Seen a ton of miracle cures come and go. Nothing pays off like planning (start with good rock) and being vigilant about maintenance.

Just my $0.02

I can't really be the spokesperson for saltwater, but I can tell you that I did absolutely nothing but dump Vibrant into my freshwater tank - three days in, the turf algae carpeting the eco-complete substrate began to melt and turn grey, then disappeared by the end of the week with just two doses. Of course I didn't do any nutrient export, so after it disappeared, black cyano took advantage of the nutrients. The plants are just now beginning to outcompete it (because other than refreshing the sachem matrix carbon one time in the past couple of months, I still haven't done anything).

I think I heard that regular water changes are a good idea. I don't know; I do them weekly and still have some small but persistent algae issues. This thread has really become quite a sales pitch :lol: because I just broke down and ordered a bottle of Vibrant.

I've been using Dr. Tim's Waste Away for a while. I definitely felt like I don't have to clean the glass as frequently, but I didn't get the impression that it did much against other algae. Hoping this will do more... fingerscrossed

• Like 2

I was doing a very minimal dose of Vibrant weekly and it worked flawlessly at keeping my sand bed clean. I was typically a heavy feeder (ULNS system) and would see diatom outbreaks on my sand the day after a big feeding that would take a couple days to clear up. Now my glass stays relatively clear (went from scraping every 2-3 days to once a week) and havn't seen a brown spot on my sand bed in a month.

As with anything in this hobby, everyones results will be different, some will be faster, some will be slower, some no change at all... take it for what you will, but Vibrant has created less work for me (although the work was minimal to most), so I rate it a success.

• Like 1

I think I heard that regular water changes are a good idea.

Uhhhhh I didn't get the memo

:blush: I know, I know! I just wanted an easy fix before I brainstormed a way to make water changes as easy as possible. Thinking about carrying 40lbs of water up two flights of stairs is kind of a deterrent at the moment.. But I'll be better, I promise!

• Like 1

I'm on week 2 of dosing Vibrant for diatoms, and it is very slowly getting better. It has definitely reduced algae film on glass, so it does something. I have not changed my maintenance routine, to see if it truly is just vibrant that is doing the work.

One warning: it appears to have killed all my feather dusters. I saw a couple of duster crowns floating around, and all the tubes are now empty (or retracted). People say it may kill snails too, so I wonder if it affects vermetid snails? If it does, that would be an awesome side effect!

From what I could find, this is just a bacteria source combined with a carbon source, so like dosing MB7 or zeobak and vinegar at the same time. This is further illustrated by the cyano blooms when free NO3 is exhausted leaving PO4 and a NO3/PO4 imbalance remaining. Am I missing something? Definitely not revolutionary from what I can see. I wouldn't use it without a skimmer though.

• Like 1

mb7 has a good thread track record for cyano in my recall, but none for bryopsis.

Vibrant clinched a pattern nobody else is getting, that to me is an accurate takeaway of the user feedback on that first example thread from R2R its out to 120 pages so far. enough data to make inferences on bryopsis imo

there is a large market for things we add to the water to take care of algae so we don't have to work any to get there. After vibrant ebbs and flows, another will come back it never stops. A small sect of the populace w remain perpetually invader free regardless of the trends of the day by using the same techinques my grandma used to rid her garden of dandelions. that mode involves work, and non hesitation, so it will always be popular only with a small section of practicing aquarists. the rest want to farm the stuff on purpose then retro dose, that's the way of the masses.

I guarantee we could make any tank in this thread algae free, free. it doesn't matter if someone already toothbrush scrubbed and it didn't work, or if they put peroxide in their water and it didn't work, that's not the mode we'd use to simply make any nano on this site free of algae. someone needs to make a reality show called nano reef bootcamp

the whole premise of the show would be making new reef tank owners sit through intervention-style gut wrenching VR video shots of eutrophic tanks, eventual algae gardens w corals $$ intertwined, months and years of wanting a clean tank, not making excuses to those who see it in person-type reefing, if they'd only known reef surgery was a viable option the whole time when that algae was one single spot

:)

one reefer chopped off that spot and was done. twenty thousand others left it, and added X to the water.

mb7 has a good thread track record for cyano in my recall, but none for bryopsis.

Vibrant clinched a pattern nobody else is getting, that to me is an accurate takeaway of the user feedback on that first example thread from R2R its out to 120 pages so far. enough data to make inferences on bryopsis imo

Yeah, didn't mean to imply they're the same, just that the mechanism of nutrient reduction, bacteria plus carbon source is the same for both methods. Vibrant doesn't interfere with bryopsis directly like tech-m which is MgSO4 + MgCl2, correct?

• Like 1

Yeah, didn't mean to imply they're the same, just that the mechanism of nutrient reduction, bacteria plus carbon source is the same for both methods. Vibrant doesn't interfere with bryopsis directly like tech-m which is MgSO4 + MgCl2, correct?

The makers of Tech-M confirmed it's not the magnesium level, it's another metal in the formula being added while one raises magnesium - but yes, not the same method.

Though a subset of the bacteria in Vibrant and MicrobacterClean are meant to adhere to microalgae and break it down while using up nutrients.

The makers of Tech-M confirmed it's not the magnesium level, it's another metal in the formula being added while one raises magnesium - but yes, not the same method.

Though a subset of the bacteria in Vibrant and MicrobacterClean are meant to adhere to microalgae and break it down while using up nutrients.

That's interesting because I've seen the BRS 2 part Mg work for it, but when using either singly it has no effect. Anyway, I figured it was the combination of the 2 - Mg's, since almost no other vendor combines both like tech-m or the 2 part.

That's interesting because I've seen the BRS 2 part Mg work for it, but when using either singly it has no effect. Anyway, I figured it was the combination of the 2 - Mg's, since almost no other vendor combines both like tech-m or the 2 part.

Maybe the impurity's created when they're combined? Do we have a 'shrug' emoji? :P

http://reef2reef.com/threads/fluconazole-x-bryopsis.283998/page-4#post-3460642

check that one out. dumping fluco in the water to fight bryopsis, this market for retro growth additives is straight vertical, smart venture capitalists w get in on this demand ~ even though id never use anything of the sort in my tank out of nerd pride. there is a hungry hungry hungry willing to pay dearly market for things we can add to the water and cause ungrowth of plants.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/fluconazole-x-bryopsis.283998/page-4#post-3460642

check that one out. dumping fluco in the water to fight bryopsis, this market for retro growth additives is straight vertical, smart venture capitalists w get in on this demand ~ even though id never use anything of the sort in my tank out of nerd pride. there is a hungry hungry hungry willing to pay dearly market for things we can add to the water and cause ungrowth of plants.

Oh dear. I can't wait until we have fluconazole-resistant bryopsis, as if we needed that one to get any worse... ;) I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with that stuff for about 4 years now.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
SquishyFishy
On 1/20/2017 at 2:25 PM, brandon429 said:

there is a large market for things we add to the water to take care of algae so we don't have to work any to get there. After vibrant ebbs and flows, another will come back it never stops. A small sect of the populace w remain perpetually invader free regardless of the trends of the day by using the same techinques my grandma used to rid her garden of dandelions. that mode involves work, and non hesitation, so it will always be popular only with a small section of practicing aquarists. the rest want to farm the stuff on purpose then retro dose, that's the way of the masses.

I guarantee we could make any tank in this thread algae free, free. it doesn't matter if someone already toothbrush scrubbed and it didn't work, or if they put peroxide in their water and it didn't work, that's not the mode we'd use to simply make any nano on this site free of algae. someone needs to make a reality show called nano reef bootcamp

No one...I repeat, no one on here is a better tank maintainer than I am...and I can prove it.  Just read my tank threads, I am an OCDer to the max, always tweaking my tanks and set up and right now, I'm having the worst experience possible with Dinos and new tank syndrome.  I mean, I walk by with magnifiers on at least 4 or 5 times per day.  I mean, I'm on it.

And even the good results I had with Vibrance is not helping the current situation.  Right now my plan of attack...do nothing.  Now I'm having a problem with cloudy water, all params test out perfectly.  I have dosed Vebrance along with NoPox and Waste away and WCs and for 3 days its cloudy!  I feed once per day, one cube of Mysis alternating with Thera A pellet and Veggies for the Tangs and Coral Beauty.  All my shrimp are gone RIP.  Snales are slowly whackin out day by day.  Corals refuse to open or fade away when just 5 months ago, I had a coral jungle of happy critters.  So constant care and maintenance will not save your tank if something has gone wrong and you can't find the cause.  Just sayin....

Having said that, anything that can help is fine with me.  My GHA disappeared and my glass is much cleaner after Vibrance but it didn't help me keep my jungle going in my new tank.

brandon429

very glad you posted. its boring without compliant tank challenges. live time testing is best

so do you want to bootcamp that tank, sounds like invasive ostreo dinos as first no pics guess.

going off only the peroxide thread on our site alone, how many tanks were noncompliant in the end? it means we have a fair chance of using modified work to fix your tank. there are some large threads from twiliard on r2r that have 100 pages of methods not tried here yet, but we save those till the end. you can return stuff off amazon in prep for the camp.

purchase oversized uv sterilizer meant for a small pond off amazon. one that w reasonably fit on or behind your tank.  most opt out, and use their own methods (boot camp no go) and hold course which is opposite of what we'd do for another round of challenge tank. I agree dinos are hard... they're obligate hitchhikers that quarantine will take care of in most cases (be ocd about qt) but the final 10% vector we can't control is fish vectoring/slime coats. if you input fish from a pet store into your reef, expect possible dinos. there are a few more options not ran here yet, post pics to start lets see blue/white balance in lighting from the pics

the vibrant turned out to be a great doser. its getting statistically highly significant result numbers for its claimed targets, and if you have a nonresponding tank to peroxide and vibrant I bet we can narrow your invading species down to two candidates even before scope pics.

run uv for 3 weeks as evaluation after the big cleaning, including sandbed remove/rinse/install

Considering how far you have gone using custom approaches and the losses mentioned, Id try another way. The uv is installed after the best cleaning you've ever done on the system (same for vibrant use, people need to be pre cleaning before its application as a hedge win) and it can be returned if it doesn't work per the seller rules.

future prevention is just as important as the immediate win, and correctly used UV is such a power kick when you install it correctly considering your fish may be reinfecting the system with a particularly virulent strain (obviously resistant) get one that can stay hooked up, mcguyver deluxe, behind the system is my recommend. your strain isn't responding to normal modes. we have a way to hit the worst noncompliant systems with a blackout, power cleaning, uv + peroxide method that w beat dinos Ill bet. typically just the clean + UV oversized w do it.

SquishyFishy

I had a  uv sterilizer but read in several articles that the ones we use in our tanks are just not big enough to do any real removal of bacteria.  Forgot I had it, I'll stick that back in for grins.  And shop for a pond sterilizer.

I have no sand, glass bottom only, did this to help eliminate the dinos.  I did a weeks blackout with DinoX being treated whilst on vacation and when I got home  it looked like they were gone, now back with a vengeance.

if you have read my tank thread the pics are on there.  My tank was pretty gorgeous last April, this year not so much.  The beginning of all my trouble was the change to the bigger tank.  I think the buggers came in the Aragalive sand I used.  I wanted my sand bed in new setup to be pristine.  And they were worst in the sand bed than anywhere.  So I pitched it and scrubbed everything off the rocks...which is what really po'd every coral off.

• Like 1