SaltCritters.com

You'll be reading about this algae additive in the blogs soon

brandon429

Since UV sterilizers are designed to kill bacteria, fungi, etc. in the water, I think I would turn the sterilizer off for a while after dosing.

Gonna take my UV offline tonight...I just realized the bulb needs to be changed anyway. Scrubbing the rock again and another water change. Water params are still perfect. I'm puzzled by my GHA outbreak.
  • Like 2

Gonna take my UV offline tonight...I just realized the bulb needs to be changed anyway. Scrubbing the rock again and another water change. Water params are still perfect. I'm puzzled by my GHA outbreak.

Does the GHA look more vibrant?

• Like 9

It's simplicity under that scope adds to its enticement. Time for gas chroma

A doser like this doesn't have to hit 100% it only needs to be more effective than the current alternative set

for a given demand niche in reefing it sure is...the mode where one does no work and doses the water. Number one in demand method

No collateral loss patterns stands out here, a positive.

Nobody hand works the farm anymore society wants hands off :)

The fact that many people still report successes using it as a catchup earns respect and this is no slight to vibrant... Given a large tank with tough access/attachment points and something I overlooked in quarantine or hand-guiding the substrate I'd for sure use it.

Why not use it in cases of QT-bypass dinoflagellate invasions (all dinoflagellate invasions) the alternatives are about 30% consistent strain to strain.

The fact it's add to the water, hands off, high likelihood improvement and ironically part of the exact methodology that causes algae problems simply means I'm looking for a reason not to be impressed and can't find one.

There's a way to boost the effects of literally any doser like Vibrant imo

Hand cleaning the entire tank first, opposite of purposeful farming/catchup, and then dosing the water.

Having to rebuild a community is harder than maintaining one = population biology. Make the algae fight to regrow in the presence of the doser

Give the active less mass to act on because you want to win over your condition, not to see if it works. It's passed the test of likely to work, so seal the deal and clean the tank first. if bryopsis rides in, that's worth pulling the rock and etching out heading it off at the pass.

For the cases where vibrant doesn't work as the full hands off additive, hand clean the tank and use it as a growback preventative. Sancho if you used a metal tool with dental precision, and post spot cleanup work with either external 35% or probably liquid vibrant externally dosed (for concentration effect) and dropped white spectrum intensity and likely the whole intensity just for a cycle you'd win and the phosphates wouldn't matter, nitrates either.

There's already a way to be invader free but this one seemed handy for the redress. IMO one can design a current and export system such that sludge digestion simply isn't needed. If organic waste isn't stored in the tank nor invader mass there's no need to add biomass to consume it.

If I had a large tank with lots of inaccessibility I'd use it without issue if help was needed. Its impressive.

• Like 3

I've now tried Vibrant in all three of my tanks:

IM10: it's been a little over two weeks in this GHA infested tank. Nothing miraculous yet but I'm cautiously optimistic that things are slowly getting better.

Cadlights 4g frag tank. Three days after the first dose, the light case of gha I had in this tank seems mostly gone. But I also did peroxide dips and scrubbed with a toothbrush on the frags. However, things seem to be improved even in the spots I didn't treat. The test here will be whether things stay the same/get better, or if it goes back to the way it was before.

IM40: I treated the tank on Sunday night, and the heavy diatoms I was getting every single day on the sand completely disappeared immediately, and I haven't seen any since after three days. This was a dramatic difference, and I've been stirring the sand every day to get rid of them before adding Vibrant. Nothing else changed in terms of filtration, dosing, feeding, etc., so I'm impressed in this case.

• Like 3

My main concerns with the saltwater tank were a patch of bryopsis and bubble algae, both of which take several doses to work on. I dosed one more time last week. The dusting of diatoms on higher-light patches is basically nonexistent, the dime-sized patch of what looked like cyano (trying to grow on other red hitchhiking algae) hasn't come back, and the glass is much easier to clean. There used to be a stubborn green might-be-coralline that took twenty scrapes to get rid of, but it's down to three or four scrapes of the nano flipper.

• Like 2

What's the difference between the saltwater and reef versions of Vibrant?

According to the thread linked, the saltwater version is more concentrated, and the only issue presented was that it might strip nutrients too quickly for corals?

• Like 2

What's the difference between the saltwater and reef versions of Vibrant?

saltwater is 2x the concentration supposedly. I accidentally ordered a freshwater variant and the gha that came in on my frags seems better but could be placebo. Uwc told me it was fine to use and would still work.

I've kept things very simple for the past 4 years now and I despise reactors and dosing and I've had amazing success. My tank speaks for itself.

I believe in a well rounded CUC (sand sifting starfish, snails, brittle starfish, skunk shrimp), not over feeding, proper lighting cycle and good quality water with regular water changes. The only thing I throw into my tank once a month is calcium for my clams.

I refuse to believe there is a "miracle" chemical out there. After reading through many posts about this there is always a contributing factor with this chemical or several: IE scrubbing rocks, peroxide, water changes, etc. If it was indeed a miracle product you wouldn't need to do those other things.

Keep your reefs simple people and stop putting your hands in them and messing with them because all your gonna do is cause more harm.

• Like 4

Here is a photo the night after dosing, just got my bottle of Vibrant. If you look close you can see the GHA down in the star polyps and on the rock, didn't do anything else but drop it in...but this takes time, I think people are expecting results overnight. I'm using the every week dose for my moderately affected tank. This morning the water is a bit clearer than yesterday, although it was pretty clear because I keep the tank pretty pristine, scrapping every day maybe twice a day. Fish get fed very judiciously once a day, coral every 2 to 3 days, lights on 8 hrs.sdk51h.jpg

Sorry this is sideways iphone pic...I will post another pic next week to compare

• Like 2

Thanks for posting Im still enjoying seeing the results.

across multiple vibrant threads the responses are grading about 95% happy with the purchase. its the best doser ive seen in cust feedback and I think hes making one million dollars by now. The free marketing aspect is genius it doesn't matter if Id ever need the product or not its that masses do and will pay. For tanks where retro cleanup work is needed or for maintenance ease in larger tanks good on them for finding the niche and working it. I never expected it to work 100% of all tanks to be amazing, what they've done so far is best I recall and way better than I first gave them credit for

all nano reefs I keep will have forced removed all algae in the early stages requiring no future headaches so this wont be used. But should I get dinos/non quarantiners disease etc id vibrant all day to save the system if needed

• Like 1

Not ready for another pic just yet, just did my second dosing...but for once, the white sand in foreground is staying pretty white, no sign of new dinos or cyano or GHA! Doing a WC tomorrow and another dosing, next picture coming soon...this time I'll get out the DSLR and maybe the colors will be right. So far, I am somewhat impressed......

• Like 1

At this point I believe Vibrant has resulted in the following for me after a few weeks of dosing twice the amount on the bottle:

Bubble Algae - gone

Hair Algae - thinning, turning dark in color, easier to turkey baste, does not seem to grow back as quickly

Cyano - much worse now likely due to inbalance in NO3 vs PO4

Diatoms - gone, but could also be as a result of adding ROWAphos (to remove silicates)

Last night I dosed KNO3 to bring up the NO3 to help combat the Cyano.

Yeah, I'm with you on that Brandon. Been following the thread on R2R and the guy is really active answering questions and such. Pretty hefty all around claims on the product, but interested to see what the outcomes are. I'm with Markalot on wanting some feedback from known users. Although I have no algae in my newly setup tank, I have been battling a white slime bacterial outbreak. Pretty much got it licked, but no claims to rid this from them. At the price point they're selling it, don't see it as overly expensive & probably cheap if it does what it says. I'll be following & if it does work as advertised, you better believe you'll see copies pop up soon. I'm sure there are some big names with the microscope out already looking at the bacterial strains.

I bought some but haven't used it yet. I got worried when Harry and Sancho lost snails. I think it was Harry and Sancho....

Plus, the cyano/dino issue seems to have subsided so I'm keeping the vibrant for a rainy day!

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

I bought some but haven't used it yet. I got worried when Harry and Sancho lost snails. I think it was Harry and Sancho....

Plus, the cyano/dino issue seems to have subsided so I'm keeping the vibrant for a rainy day!

Yeah, normally I wouldn't worry about a few dollar snails, but you have some exotic ones right? I've been keeping up with the thread & seems like isolated incidents tho.
  • Like 1

Yeah, normally I wouldn't worry about a few dollar snails, but you have some exotic ones right? I've been keeping up with the thread & seems like isolated incidents tho.

Nothing too crazy but I do have some scutus limpets I don't want to kill!!

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any negative effects with either tank actually.

• Like 1

I lost my snails and urchin before using vibrant.

oh maybe it was JBB that lost his stamina!

oh maybe it was JBB that lost his stamina!

Bahahaha!! Autocorrect! Snails, not stamina!

• Like 3

Chiming in here: Couple more doses in, snails are all alive and well (includes the nano conches, the black frilled limpet, the hitchhiking algae-grazing limpets, the ceriths, the couple of nassarius that made it into the fusion). I may need to start feeding them supplemental algae/food, but that's besides the point :P

My peppermint shrimp (got him a while back at a pretty decent size from my LFS) did pass away, but that could be on me and my bad water change schedule or just plain old not feeding him enough. The blue-legged hermit crab that also got selected for the tank transfer molted and is fine. The pom pom crab also makes an appearance every couple of days, waving around full-looking pom poms!

• Like 4