ReefCleaners.org

JLynn's Softy Reef

JLynn

I think Jasmine jumped overnight. I looked everywhere in the tank and the filter for her, but I couldn't find her. 

I looked on the floor around it and under the dresser to try and find a body, but I also didn't find that.

I do have a lid on this tank, but there are two holes - one for feeding and one to accommodate the HOB filter (but that hole is quite a bit larger than it needs to be to fit my Aquaclear.

I don't really know what else to say. This just sucks. 

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sorry to hear, that's no easy thing :( 

Are you sure there's no other hiding spots?

I wish, but I've lifted moved around the PVC elbows, unplugged the filter and checked inside that, and looked at the tank from every angle. There's no trace of her. Now, Flynn's shell is large enough for a fish to curl up in it completely out of sight, but Flynn would never tolerate her hiding in it. Plus, she's always out as soon as the lights go on, and it's been two hours since I turned the lights on with no sign of her.

I guess when I order Moana, I'll order Jasmine III, as well. I'll definitely have to separate those two during QT, though. Jasmine I bullied Moana I quite a bit. 

And to make a bad day worse, I've spotted two of my four remaining fish scratching themselves against the PVC. 

• Sad 2

I posted on Reef2reef about what to do for this, and Humblefish said:

"There are three likely scenarios here:

1. Your fish had flukes, and their skin is still irritated from where the worms had been feeding. Also, prazi itself can sometimes be a skin irritant.
  2. Your fish have ich - which can wait for treatment until after the second round of prazi is complete.
  3. Your fish have velvet - which would necessitate copper/CP treatment ASAP

But I'm unable to determine which scenario is most likely here."

So I think I'm just going to abort the Prazipro treatment and skip to the copper treatment. Better safe than sorry, just in case it is velvet. Rapunzel could have carried velvet in with her, and maybe a wholesaler used subtheraputic levels of copper in their systems, which disguised any symptoms until now. I just don't wanna take the chance. So I'll add carbon back to the filtration tonight to soak up all the Prazipro, remove the shell from the tank (Flynn is gonna be pissed) and start copper treatment this time tomorrow. 

To prevent any more incidents like this, I've cut up some of the foam sheet stuff I used for moving and taped it over the holes as best as I could. It's not 100% secure - a fish jumping particularly hard at the right angle could still make it out - but it's the best I can do. 

I started the copper treatment late last night.

Some pictures of the DT for y'all:

37089238055_2f3770c907.jpg

36900777466_459f38bf20.jpg  <--- My new green leather and orange ricordea

36918832602_7d587ef512.jpg  <----- My new baby clam and goniopora

36900777156_902f48e476.jpg  <----My tiny, new little acan frag

36692795190_956e11f9b6.jpg <----- My nice big duncan frag (or at four heads is it considered a small colony instead?)

Sorry about the crappy white balance. Bluefish is giving me trouble lately.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

Wow. It's been a damn long time since I've posted here. Well, in the intervening period, there's been a bit of drama. 

On the quarantining front: I am now down to just one clownfish (who I suppose will become Nala by default) and the yellow clown goby. Flynn and the other clownfish both died for reasons as-of-yet undetermined. It sucks, yeah. I think these last two will make it, though. We only have until the 17th till I am able to release them into the DT.

As for the DT, the biggest news is that my light, for whatever reason, got disconnected from my wifi overnight, turned off, and refused to reconnect to my network. That was 2 weeks ago. Today, I finally hit upon a sort of solution to this with Dave Fason's help: connect to a wifi hotspot instead. Thankfully, that worked. The light is finally back up, but it still won't connect to my regular wifi, which is a problem. As a result of the lack of light, my poor baby clam died and was eaten by bristleworms :(. Also all my corals are looking dull (but they should color up again given a week or two of proper lighting).

The last thing of note is that I bought two new things recently: a toadstool coral frag (from Pacific East Aquaculture, again) and an RO/DI from Melev's Reef!

• Sad 2
fishfreak0114

So sorry to hear about the troubles!  I had light issues recently too, and the corals had insufficient sunlight for 47 days.  Pretty much everything did alright.  Your corals will be back to full health in no time!

On 11/8/2017 at 12:23 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

So sorry to hear about the troubles!  I had light issues recently too, and the corals had insufficient sunlight for 47 days.  Pretty much everything did alright.  Your corals will be back to full health in no time!

47 days? Wow! And to think that I was beginning to get worried after just a couple weeks lol!