ReefCleaners.org

Just now, Reefkid88 said:

10-4. Hmmm well I am out of thoughts & opinions then lol. 

no i really do appreciate it. it's part of the reason i never purchased anything. i can't decide on a fuge, reactor, or scrubber. 😄

• Haha 1

I'm actually thinking of sumping my tank atm. Back area is too small,even at 10"x10"x3" my return pump,ato,heater barely fit. Which would free up some room in the display. 

But having to get a bigger return pump,5.5g/10g tank,all new ¾" plumbing bits since I only have ½" (unions,union ball valves,check valves),baffle kit.. I'm kinda like ehhhhh lol. Maybe at tax time lol or never. 

35 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I'm actually thinking of sumping my tank atm. Back area is too small,even at 10"x10"x3" my return pump,ato,heater barely fit. Which would free up some room in the display. 

But having to get a bigger return pump,5.5g/10g tank,all new ¾" plumbing bits since I only have ½" (unions,union ball valves,check valves),baffle kit.. I'm kinda like ehhhhh lol. Maybe at tax time lol or never. 

I'm a huge sump fan, even more so for smaller tanks, real estate is even more precious in smaller tanks.

• Agree 1

I have never ran one,but I am considering it. DIY pvc overflow,5.5g tank,simple baffle design and a return pump,should be good. 

I would like to run a scrubber to keep algae growing in that and hopefully not in the display. 

37 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I have never ran one,but I am considering it. DIY pvc overflow,5.5g tank,simple baffle design and a return pump,should be good. 

I would like to run a scrubber to keep algae growing in that and hopefully not in the display. 

that'll be one OP 7g nano lol

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

that'll be one OP 7g nano lol

Its actually 9,sir. 24"x10"x10" lol. Gotta hide shit somewhere on these small tanks,may as well sump it. 

Something I was dosing has potassium/potassium nitrate in it. I stopped everything except rods food and pellets and alk immediately stopped climbing. 

Esv nitrate claims they use calcium nitrate but that would raise alk too.  (For clarity I haven’t used it since the crash). 

complete list of what I was using but stopped  is:

KZ lps amino acids, amino acids, sponge power, coral vitalizer, pohls extra special 

Red Sea ab+
phyto that I’m culturing (I think this is the cause. Whatever fert I’m using maybe has nitrate in it?)

6A229464-0532-4B71-82F2-F83134C4B7E5.png

• Like 2
Just now, mitten_reef said:

That’s good news man, glad the trend is reversing. Hope it keeps going

I’m hopeful. Gonna add one thing back at a time to see what the cause is. I highly doubt it’s the AAs. Highest probability culprit is the phyto.  

Just now, TheKleinReef said:

I’m hopeful. Gonna add one thing back at a time to see what the cause is. I highly doubt it’s the AAs. Highest probability culprit is the phyto.  

My guess would be one of the KZ, their products seem to cultivate bacteria to feed “up the food chain”.  And that would lead me think it has similar base ingredients as all for reef.  But that’s just my guess, nothing scientific, haha

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

My guess would be one of the KZ, their products seem to cultivate bacteria to feed “up the food chain”.  And that would lead me think it has similar base ingredients as all for reef.  But that’s just my guess, nothing scientific, haha

i would agree with you if I didn’t use KZ on my Illinois tank and this tank with no problems for almost 18months before the crash. 

Theoretically I could test a sample water nitrate before and after dosing phyto and the KZ. 

I was adding 3 drops of sponge power, amino acids, and CV then 1ML of aa lps and pohls 3x a week. Compared to 100mL of phyto every day. 

• TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's WYO'd NUVO 75G - AKA - Roger's Ramble Thread
15 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Yep. Randy said the fertilizer can increase nitrates and there by alk if the residual fertilizer isn’t consumed and makes it into the system. 

did he get into why you still see 0 nitrate?

58 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

No but I think I’m over filtering, and underfeeding maybe. 

But you were adding straight nitrate via fertilizer, which seemed weird to me…

overall glad you found a source and getting the issue sorted out. 

43 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

But you were adding straight nitrate via fertilizer, which seemed weird to me…

overall glad you found a source and getting the issue sorted out. 

yeah, if you add nitrate it is immediately consumed. 

when it's 0 the bi product is an increase in alk. 

• Like 1

A9527045-1AE9-4D4E-8F63-0D3BFB766ED1.thumb.jpeg.c1d4d3cb660075fcbff014154fa173a9.jpeg

it is amazing how much smaller the Helios heaters are compared to the Jager ones. I have so much more room in this sump now. I might move them to the back though, I only put them in the front cause I was lazy. 

I did a little bit of cleanup, I forgot how bright white the acrylic is. My next project is to create some sort of mounting bracket for the BRS  reactor. I hate that it’s just sitting there in the sump. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on an algae turf scrubber, but after my budget recovers from this month.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

the tolerance on the Helio is absolutely crazy accurate. I took sample temp measurements in various places (display, overflow, sock, skimmer, and fuge sections) all were 78.0. I've trusted you dearly Jager but it's time for a new era.

heater graph.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

So I guess the price is worth it then huh ? That is crazy,I have seen them in person at Top Shelf and those suckers are SMALLLLL for a heater,especially at their wattages. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

So I guess the price is worth it then huh ? That is crazy,I have seen them in person at Top Shelf and those suckers are SMALLLLL for a heater,especially at their wattages. 

yeah i opened up the box and was like..... uh did i just waste $200?

so far i like it. I'll keep my jager's as backups though just in case.

• Haha 1
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36