Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drew's 9.1g Aquamaxx

drewgrano

2 hours ago, drewgrano said:

It work on anything other than bryopsis?  This isn't bryopsis.  I think it's either dino's or possibly calothrix.  Doesn't look like there's any adverse effects to this stuff though so maybe its worth a shot anyways?

It will nail hair algae which this looks like. 

Worth a shot. I was absolutely blown away. 

-D

Sands been out for a day and a half now, everything seems okay so far.  If we're still good in a couple weeks I might change up the scape a bit but im leaning towards leaving it sandless....

IMG_20171123_125545.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Nice setup. I was thinking about using this tank in the future build. How is the flow with Vectra pump? I wanna use that to push water through 2 reactors. 

I actually tore it down and moved to a 25g fusion lagoon a few months ago.  Maintenance with the canister filter got to be a pain, and I was just never happy with how the system was running.  My own fault though, i was trying to get to fancy with a bunch of diy solutions.... never worked how I originally imagined.  The vectra was cool, and I'm sure I could have made it work a lot better, but with how I had everything hooked up I literally had so many 90 degree elbows that even with the pump turned up all the way i barely had any flow through the display.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, drewgrano said:

I actually tore it down and moved to a 25g fusion lagoon a few months ago.  Maintenance with the canister filter got to be a pain, and I was just never happy with how the system was running.  My own fault though, i was trying to get to fancy with a bunch of diy solutions.... never worked how I originally imagined.  The vectra was cool, and I'm sure I could have made it work a lot better, but with how I had everything hooked up I literally had so many 90 degree elbows that even with the pump turned up all the way i barely had any flow through the display.

Interesting. I’ll have to take that into consideration while designing my setup. 

What did you use in your canister? I would never use canister filter (your experience and others is exactly why) but I am curious. In my case flow isn’t an issue but I need enough power to force water through two reactors and several elbows. 

23 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Interesting. I’ll have to take that into consideration while designing my setup. 

What did you use in your canister? I would never use canister filter (your experience and others is exactly why) but I am curious. In my case flow isn’t an issue but I need enough power to force water through two reactors and several elbows. 

Even if I had my canister filter completely empty I had the flow problem.  I was only using .5inch tubing and had at least 4 90degree elbows that really killed all my flow.  I don't have anything against canister filters really, and the whole point of using one in this setup was to hide as much plumbing/equipment as possible.  I just didn't plan it out well enough.

I still had water movement so I think you'll be fine, but i was trying to use it both for filtration and as 100% of my flow (never crossed my mind that a 2000gph pump would be a problem in my 9 gallon tank lol).

1 hour ago, drewgrano said:

Even if I had my canister filter completely empty I had the flow problem.  I was only using .5inch tubing and had at least 4 90degree elbows that really killed all my flow.  I don't have anything against canister filters really, and the whole point of using one in this setup was to hide as much plumbing/equipment as possible.  I just didn't plan it out well enough.

I still had water movement so I think you'll be fine, but i was trying to use it both for filtration and as 100% of my flow (never crossed my mind that a 2000gph pump would be a problem in my 9 gallon tank lol).

I see. It’s tricky to have both, enough dwell time for efficient filtration and enough flow for in-tank water movement. I wonder what would happen if you have had a loop around your canister filter (split line b4 and join both lines after canister)? I assume that you would lose some flow still but not a whole lot. 

All you really need is a 5X turnover volume of your tank to get efficient filtration. Rest could have been looped around it for better flow. Am I wrong in my assumption? 

• 4 years later...