Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Are you putting sand in this tank?

I still have time to change my mind, but I think so. I've got 20 lbs of sand in a bag ready to go, and I like having the sand so I can put frags in the sand bed, and maybe have a fish or shrimp that likes to move sand.

But I have a weakness for the clean look of bare bottom tanks. I'll do the rocks first, and then probably make a spur of the moment decision about it then.

• Like 6

That's good because it's not moving even a fraction of an inch ;)

The pictures get rearranged tonight when I get home from work. I didn't think my wife would appreciate me hammering nails at one o'clock in the morning :)

:lol: I was hanging paintings the other night at 2 am when I couldn't sleep. I'm so used to Jeff traveling during the week, I forgot that it might bother sleeping people. He comes downstairs with a baseball bat thinking someone was breaking in. He didn't notice I wasn't in bed :lol:

How the hell can they accidentally send the wrong plugged unit?

I was wondering the same thing! Along with why would brs stock European plugs

• Like 3

:lol: I was hanging paintings the other night at 2 am when I couldn't sleep. I'm so used to Jeff traveling during the week, I forgot that it might bother sleeping people. He comes downstairs with a baseball bat thinking someone was breaking in. He didn't notice I wasn't in bed :lol:

I was wondering the same thing! Along with why would brs stock European plugs

:lol: That's funny. I should have just gotten it done while I was thinking about it since I haven't gotten around to doing it yet :)

My guess is that somehow Tunze shipped the wrong box to BRS. They don't have an option to select optional power plugs so I can't believe that they actually meant to stock it. :)

I did confirm that the new box from Amazon, which has the correct power plug, had a different label. It said "US Power" at the bottom of the model number.

• Like 2

Teeny - just caught up! This tank is going to be so nice - and it looks great in the bookshelf nook! Also can you use a step stool to take photos over the entertainment center and then zoom in?

• Like 2

I still have time to change my mind, but I think so. I've got 20 lbs of sand in a bag ready to go, and I like having the sand so I can put frags in the sand bed, and maybe have a fish or shrimp that likes to move sand.

But I have a weakness for the clean look of bare bottom tanks. I'll do the rocks first, and then probably make a spur of the moment decision about it then.

What will you use? I am trying to find a heavy sand to add to my zoa garden. My MP10QD in there has created bare bottom valleys with the current Bahamas Oolite Arag-Alive! Reef Sand which is very fine and blows around easily.

• Like 1

Teeny - just caught up! This tank is going to be so nice - and it looks great in the bookshelf nook! Also can you use a step stool to take photos over the entertainment center and then zoom in?

Yep! I think the step stool is going to be permanently relocated from the garage to the corner by the tank. It will be great for top down shots.

• Like 2

What will you use? I am trying to find a heavy sand to add to my zoa garden. My MP10QD in there has created bare bottom valleys with the current Bahamas Oolite Arag-Alive! Reef Sand which is very fine and blows around easily.

I got the Arag-Alive Special Reed Grade, also known as "Reef Sand". I've used this in all my tanks and it seems to be the best size, not too big, but not too small so it doesn't blow around.

27411257056_e0fd4ce16c_b.jpg20160603_201712.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 5

More feet. Kimber will never want to see any posts in this thread.

Yes, but the toes were mercifully cut off :lol:

you shouldn't worry about the tunze 9004. I knew from the beginning that it had to be placed in the return chamber, but it fits perfectly and doesn't restrict the water coming into the return.

I have it turned so the magnet is attached to the skimmer column side and not the side of the tank side. I noticed when the magnet was on the outside, it wasn't as secure. Also, I've noticed when i'm trying to put the skimmer cup back on the unit, at times, the unit gets pushed down slightly. I have read that people cut a plastic cup and place it at the under the tunze to keep it from sagging down more.

hope this helps. I've seen pictures of people using the cadlight skimmer and tunze / ghost desktop is the way to go for a more minimalist look.

I just wanted to thank you so much for posting this! It was excellent advice and it was really helpful when I got the skimmer set up. I set it up as you recommended and it seems to be working fine.

It's not actually skimming yet since there's nothing but water in the tank, but there are bubbles and the water is flowing well.

• Like 6

More feet. Kimber will never want to see any posts in this thread.

No toes so we're all good. :)

Awe. The toes are the cutest part of the foot, especially with a nice pedi!

Gwosssss!!

• Like 4

I'm so excited to see the beginning stages of this tank!

I'm with sharbuckle! I like sand - I think it will look awesome with that sand you got.

• Like 5

No toes so we're all good. :)

Gwosssss!!

Kimber, you probably shouldn't let people know your weakness! LOL

Gross, YES!

26847426493_f9bc42b4dd.jpgGross by Penny, on Flickr

Pretty, ABSOLUTELY!

26847426553_7ced67ba67.jpgpretty pedi by Penny, on Flickr

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That was mean, sorry. Back to the thread. Teeny, the setup is looking GREAT!

• Like 5

Hurry up and get the sand in and some pics ;) going to look good! That's the same sand I used in my 20 and it will move around just not as bad. I had to only run my 10 on 60% or less.

Wish you were closer I have about 25lbs of Reefcleaners I would have given you.

• Like 2

Hurry up and get the sand in and some pics ;) going to look good! That's the same sand I used in my 20 and it will move around just not as bad. I had to only run my 10 on 60% or less.

Same... If he was closer I would have given him a great deal on my 40 plus thrown in the reefcleaners for free! This is why we should all just create and move to own own little community.

• Like 4

Same... If he was closer I would have given him a great deal on my 40 plus thrown in the reefcleaners for free! This is why we should all just create and move to own own little community.

I tried getting rid of it local and no one was interested......plenty of reefers local to me so its going to the LFS today. Its even wet and cycled sort of.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Kimber, you probably shouldn't let people know your weakness! LOL

Gross, YES!

26847426493_f9bc42b4dd.jpgGross by Penny, on Flickr

Pretty, ABSOLUTELY!

26847426553_7ced67ba67.jpgpretty pedi by Penny, on Flickr

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That was mean, sorry. Back to the thread. Teeny, the setup is looking GREAT!

HA! Had to quote this to bother her one more time ?

• Like 4

Yeah!!!! Can't wait to watch this tank mature. You always have awesome tanks!!!

Thanks for catching up on my thread, Lawn! I just had a notification explosion of Lawn likes :lol:

I tried getting rid of it local and no one was interested......plenty of reefers local to me so its going to the LFS today. Its even wet and cycled sort of.

Yeah, I totally would have taken it right off your hands! It's too bad no one was able to use it, but I understand. Most people just don't have the room to add live rock unless they're just starting a tank.

:lol: That would be so awesome! It would probably be reported on the news as some kind of weird cult commune B)

I just died...

:lol: those are some nasty toes

I'm so excited to see the beginning stages of this tank!

I'm with sharbuckle! I like sand - I think it will look awesome with that sand you got.

Good choice on sand. That stuff is great. Never been a big fan of bare bottom personally

I really liked this sand in the other two tanks. I've never had problems with it blowing around even with the MP10 set as high as I could stand in the 10g.

I like the look of a sand bed, but I try to keep it shallow so that it can be stirred up well to reduce nitrates. But I recently went bare bottom in the frag tank, and I have to admit I was really surprised at how much easier it is to keep the tank clean and nutrients down.

Still, I'd say in my mind there's a 10% chance of going bare bottom, and 90% chance for sand. :)

• Like 2
Sharbuckle

Bare bottom for frag tanks makes sense to me. But the sexiness of sand in a display is one of my favorite parts of a reef tank.

• Like 1

Bare bottom for frag tanks makes sense to me. But the sexiness of sand in a display is one of my favorite parts of a reef tank.

I think that sums it up very well for me too. Also, I've noticed some bare bottom tanks can end up with a lot of coralline on the bottom, which, to me, isn't as attractive. I can't imagine scraping the bottom, and sand would look better than coralline in the long run.

• Like 2

Last time I checked which was about 20 minutes ago when I was at the beach... The big blue thing has this white stuff on the bottom...

• Like 5