Pod Your Reef

Tristan's Reefer Nano

TristanC

Awwww, they look so cute! Nice pickup :)

They are so fun to watch, the smaller one will wonder off for a minute then come racing back to the bigger clown haha.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Tristan how are the clowns doing and how is the skimmer working out for you?

So far so good! The clowns seem to have adjusted to the tank pretty well although they pretty much like to chill in the same spot most of the day. Ive been feeding them rods food and they absolutely love it. One thing that is kind of strange is the male clown sleep on his side in the sand while the female sleeps at the top of the tank, freaked me out at first because I thought he was dead but sure enough every morning he's out and about like normal.

The skimmer is great, pulls out nice dark skimmate constantly. Ive had to adjust it a few times through the break in process but thats to be expected.

Just wait till they attack you everytime you put your hand in the tank!

haha I know its only a matter of time before they decide the tank is their territory and I'm not welcome.

Do you have a cover for your tank now that you have some healthy inhabitants?

I made a temporary mesh top out of a window screen kit from Home Depot. It's ugly but it does its job. I plan on ordering a top from artfully acrylic that is made specifically for my tank.

Indeed Metrokat :-), looks great doesn't it.

Sorry for answering Tristan, hope you don't mind. Those artfully acrylic tops look super and they are made out of polycarbonate (lexan) so they are very tough.

Indeed Metrokat :-), looks great doesn't it.

Sorry for answering Tristan, hope you don't mind. Those artfully acrylic tops look super and they are made out of polycarbonate (lexan) so they are very tough.

I love the reefer series, I have my eye on a nano as well. :ninja: But the volume is 21G, Tristan's first post about 28G threw me off. I think it's 28 including 7 which is the sump. It's made well and I'm told nearly silent.

I just got my lid from artfully acrylic for my current tank. They do a really good job don't they?

They are totally silent and you're correct the total water volume is 28G. Those tops actually complement the tank imho. Since Smiz doesn't make his tank toppers anymore there really isn't any alternative either.

I love the reefer series, I have my eye on a nano as well. :ninja: But the volume is 21G, Tristan's first post about 28G threw me off. I think it's 28 including 7 which is the sump. It's made well and I'm told nearly silent.

I just got my lid from artfully acrylic for my current tank. They do a really good job don't they?

Hey there! Correct, it's the 18x18 nano. 28g is system volume my first post may have been a little misleading. I'm in love with the tank, Red Sea did a very good job designing and manufacturing them. The tank actually sits a couple feet from my bed and the loudest part is the skimmer (which isn't even loud at all). I highly recommend one.

I'm glad to hear artfully acrylic makes a quality product, I hate seeing my horrible excuse of a top ruining the lines of the reefer.

These could also be a nice solution to prevent fish from jumping out.

http://www.aqua-medic.de/index.php?r=catalog/product&id=402&cid=105

That's interesting, I just feel like the damn fish would find a way to jump out anyway

I run a DIY screen on my red sea reefer. I got some cheap aquarium tank clips on eBay so the lid rests flush against top of the tank. You can barely see it.

On a tank your size I'd be more inclined to diy it as the top will be much more expensive. For mine I don't mind paying a little extra for a fancy lid.

On a tank your size I'd be more inclined to diy it as the top will be much more expensive. For mine I don't mind paying a little extra for a fancy lid.

for sure, $250 for a top seems a little too much to me =P

Took a few pictures of the clowns yesterday morning. This is right after they were fed so they are extra excited. As you can see the female (I'm assuming by her dominant behavior) has a black spot on her right cheek, its kind of unique.

JaqceuK.jpg

EZCSwbE.jpg

X6eMgrP.jpg

Beautiful clownfish Tristan, are you going to add more fish in the future or just leave it this way?

Thanks! Im looking at adding a pink streaked wrasse and one other fish that I haven't decided on yet.

Clownin' around I see. :lol:

hahaha :D

HarryPotter

Awesome tank!

I would recommend getting one of these to limit how much the door can open- just in case. Makes me nervous, I had the same issue so use those door stoppers.

Awesome tank!

I would recommend getting one of these to limit how much the door can open- just in case. Makes me nervous, I had the same issue so use those door stoppers.

Thank you! Thats probably a good idea...

They go onto the hinge of the door so not very intrusive :)

I may have to make a home depot run today.

Archived