Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tristan's Reefer Nano

TristanC

I almost never seen a Pink Streaked Wrasse at LFS, I got mines from Liveaquaria.

And you do have a point with the skimmer, a 29gal tank with a 150gal+ rated skimmer will be overkill, even if you stock heavily.

As for Bubble Magus, I've had the NAC-6A and I'm currently using the QQ. BM isn't too shabby IMO. They're a bit on the loud side and they may have some imperfections (The 6A had some hazing, the rising pipe in the skimmer cup for QQ isn't exactly flush to the rising body of the skimmer) but for the price, it isn't too bad.

Still, I think you can do better than Bubble Magus. If you're getting a NAC 3.5, I say get the one with the rock pump, it uses less power + more reliable than the atman pump. Biggest gripe I got with the NAC 3.5 is that $40 more, you can get the Curve 5.

Alternatively, you can look up the Icecap K2-50, it's cheaper and has the same rating as the NAC 3.5.

Im thinking I'm going to have to order mine from them as well.

Thanks for the input, I was on the edge about bm anyway so ill keep looking.

I'll check out the icecap as well, its made by coralife right?

How is your coverage with the Kessil 160? I have a Radion Gen 2 + Mounting arm from my last tank and was planning to use it, but the aesthetics are not as pleasing (especially after seeing how clean yours looked). I'm just worried that at only 40W the Kessil may be underpowered....

Coverage is absolutely perfect. It may only be 40w but these Kessils are proven growers, in fact many people don't ever go over 60-70% intensity.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What rock is that exactly from RC ? Thats probably the best rock i have ever seen !!!! Awesome tank though,i love the scape.

What rock is that exactly from RC ? Thats probably the best rock i have ever seen !!!! Awesome tank though,i love the scape.

KP Aquatics

I'm ordering some for my reefer nano

KpAquatics uncured, I highly recommend it. Thank you very much!

Oh okay,thanks. I need some of that.

Definitely worth the cost.

I like the scape! it looks similar to my first scape which i wish i kept.

Thank you! I've always been a fan of the island look.

I'll check out the icecap as well, its made by coralife right?

Icecap was that old school brand that dealt with MH, Retrofit lighting. Coralvue bought them off and now they're making sumps, skimmers, controllers (I think), and other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Icecap was that old school brand that dealt with MH, Retrofit lighting. Coralvue bought them off and now they're making sumps, skimmers, controllers (I think), and other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Oh ok, I knew they made ballasts a while back but I didn't know they were making all this other stuff.

Well guys the cycle is officially OVER! Im getting massive algae blooms while I'm at work, Ill scrape the glass before I leave and by the time I'm home again the glass is covered in a thin green film. Ill be ordering my cuc in the next few days.

Heres some quick pictures I took this morning of what the rock looks like after the cycle.

vSIkfBz.jpg

wXNYWrm.jpg

k1lK9R4.jpg

BQ7AW7t.jpg

FOoSGkU.jpg

FqNWqzh.jpg

bJzEyYv.jpg

Have you seen any neat hitchhikers yet?

So far the only things I've seen aside from algae is worms, quite a few of them. When the lights go off I can see little tentacles coming off the rock feeling around. Im hoping Ill find more hitchhikers.

4lKlsRX.gif

Hahahahaha

Like your rock setup

Thank you!

Well I went ahead and ordered an Icecap k2-50 protein skimmer off of amazon. Quite a few people have recommended it so I figured ill give it a try. From the website it seems to be a well thought out and well built skimmer.

How's the Icecap skimmer working out for ya?

Also, are you going to the LARS Coral Market? It's a good time to stock up some corals...

Here's the address:

Elks Lodge
13620 Whittier Blvd
Whittier, CA 90605

IMG_1920_zpsnfzxcl8n.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%202.20.5

How's the Icecap skimmer working out for ya?

Also, are you going to the LARS Coral Market? It's a good time to stock up some corals...

Here's the address:

Elks Lodge

13620 Whittier Blvd

Whittier, CA 90605

Looks like I won't have it until friday, once I have it running ill post a little review of it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to go, I really wish I could though...

My cuc from Reefcleaners came in today and not a moment too soon. My tank is definitely in its ugly algae phase, within an hour of me cleaning the glass its covered in green again... Heres some quick pictures I took.

khMRx7T.jpg

yKhBR4I.jpg

1cwwMYn.jpg

Looks like I won't have it until friday, once I have it running ill post a little review of it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to go, I really wish I could though...

Aww, that blows.

Aww, that blows.

Yeah, unfortunately for me I work most weekends. Its probably better this way, id like to get my tank as dialed in as possible before I start adding corals.

Yeah, unfortunately for me I work most weekends. Its probably better this way, id like to get my tank as dialed in as possible before I start adding corals.

True, like people say: "nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank, only bad things happen fast".

True, like people say: "nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank, only bad things happen fast".

Absolutely. My protein skimmer comes in tomorrow, after its broken in and skimming I'm sure everything will start to level out.

If this pair of picassos is still available by tuesday I'm going to buy them, I really love their colors.

IsmTe8o.jpg

This tank is looking good. I'm very happy to hear that the Kessil160 providing enough coverage for this (considering I want to upgrade).

Archived