Pod Your Reef

Beating Bryopsis-Started TechM-Done!

Pjanssen

yes and where its elevated in those triton tests its huge numbers, and most salt mixes are showing it. I think all our tanks been on lithium a long time. the only thing that lithium-low or free could provide me is either more coralline or more coral growth, I have no more room for either

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

todays params

After dosing 10ml Tech M early this morning.

Mag. 1800

calcium 390

alk 8.1

It's getting harder to keep calcium levels up. Finding myself dosing 2 part calcium/alkalinity daily. Normally I do this just once a week between water changes.

Time for dosing pumps. It was hard for me to believe at first that daily dosing was necessary or that my reef was using so much each day.

Time for dosing pumps. It was hard for me to believe at first that daily dosing was necessary or that my reef was using so much each day.

I'm thinking the levels are just being used up by the increased mag levels. The only thing really in the tank that might consume calcium is a huge hammer that just grows and grows no matter what I do. But, I would love to add dosing pumps, there just isn't anywhere to add them without looking junky

I've been battling bryopsis for almost 3 years. You couldn't see it in my pictures because I always yanked it out first chance I saw a single leaf. Peroxide, smothering with ALK paste, working on nutrients, nothing worked. I needed to treat my tank with Prazipro several times and I noticed that within the first week of every Prazi pro treatment - the bryopsis would look weak and start to whiten. So whatever is in prazi-pro wasn't good for bryopsis.

I sent my water to Triton recently and it came back high for magnesium, previously I had been running low on magnesium the whole time (like, forever). I had been hand dosing Kent Tech M for about a month prior to the test. I hadn't planned on raising mag to high levels, in an SPS dominant tank, that's not an easy choice to make. But the bryopsis did greatly lessen and as of right now I can't say I really see any.

In reading threads on the bigger forums. The secret ingredient that kills bryopsis is not Lithium. All tanks tested by Triton in the US have high lithium - the cause is unknown. But pretty much all triton customers who have never used Kent Tech M also have high lithium.

It is for sure an additive in Kent Tech M that causes the Bryopsis to die (note:some species of bryopsis are immune) Using a BRS supplement to increase magnesium will do diddly. The original founder of Kent has also formulated Contiuum Aquatics and Brightwell. Both Continuum Reef Basis magnesium and Brightwell magnesium contain the same ingredients as Kent Tech M. And with the same results.

Further, Brightwell MicrobacterCLEAN and Contiuum Bacter Clean M will both work on bryopsis, cyano and even valonia. It works slowly but it does work. I used CLEAN on dinos and it took 2 doses. I'm frankly amazed.

I believe that federal regulations prohibits the sale of a product touted as an algaecide unless the product is registered with the EPA, that is why none of these brands can bottle the secret ingredient and market it as a bryopsis algae killer.

MBCLEAN is a powerful product, clams and dirty water loving animals do not like it.

Just my $0.02

I've been battling bryopsis for almost 3 years. You couldn't see it in my pictures because I always yanked it out first chance I saw a single leaf. Peroxide, smothering with ALK paste, working on nutrients, nothing worked. I needed to treat my tank with Prazipro several times and I noticed that within the first week of every Prazi pro treatment - the bryopsis would look weak and start to whiten. So whatever is in prazi-pro wasn't good for bryopsis.

I sent my water to Triton recently and it came back high for magnesium, previously I had been running low on magnesium the whole time (like, forever). I had been hand dosing Kent Tech M for about a month prior to the test. I hadn't planned on raising mag to high levels, in an SPS dominant tank, that's not an easy choice to make. But the bryopsis did greatly lessen and as of right now I can't say I really see any.

In reading threads on the bigger forums. The secret ingredient that kills bryopsis is not Lithium. All tanks tested by Triton in the US have high lithium - the cause is unknown. But pretty much all triton customers who have never used Kent Tech M also have high lithium.

It is for sure an additive in Kent Tech M that causes the Bryopsis to die (note:some species of bryopsis are immune) Using a BRS supplement to increase magnesium will do diddly. The original founder of Kent has also formulated Contiuum Aquatics and Brightwell. Both Continuum Reef Basis magnesium and Brightwell magnesium contain the same ingredients as Kent Tech M. And with the same results.

Further, Brightwell MicrobacterCLEAN and Contiuum Bacter Clean M will both work on bryopsis, cyano and even valonia. It works slowly but it does work. I used CLEAN on dinos and it took 2 doses. I'm frankly amazed.

I believe that federal regulations prohibits the sale of a product touted as an algaecide unless the product is registered with the EPA, that is why none of these brands can bottle the secret ingredient and market it as a bryopsis algae killer.

MBCLEAN is a powerful product, clams and dirty water loving animals do not like it.

Just my $0.02

your 2cents is worth way more! Thanks for the input. Really good to know about the Clean products.

dosed 10ml of Tech M this morning.

current params

mag still 1800- not sure why this mornings dosing didn't raise it

Alk 8.1

calcium 400

dosed another 10ml Tech, as well as 5 ml each 2 part calc/alk.

cleaned filters yesterday, but haven't done a water change in two weeks. Getting a film on glass as well as some sand bed coverage. Maybe Cyano. (Just What I Need!) Planning to dose replacement water with Tech M to bring level up to 1800-1900 to match tank, then do a water change.

dosed 10ml of Tech M this morning.

current params

mag still 1800- not sure why this mornings dosing didn't raise it

Alk 8.1

calcium 400

dosed another 10ml Tech, as well as 5 ml each 2 part calc/alk.

cleaned filters yesterday, but haven't done a water change in two weeks. Getting a film on glass as well as some sand bed coverage. Maybe Cyano. (Just What I Need!) Planning to dose replacement water with Tech M to bring level up to 1800-1900 to match tank, then do a water change.

10ml is not enough if your referring to your 29g biocube. It takes 70ml of Tech-M to raise it 100ppm in my 16g Nuvo.

10ml is not enough if your referring to your 29g biocube. It takes 70ml of Tech-M to raise it 100ppm in my 16g Nuvo

I'm almost where I want to be and don't really want to overshoot. I think I'm ok even if I hold at this level. Very little signs of bryopsis left at this point.

could not get to my tank the past two days. Did a 5 gallon water change after dosing the replacement water with TechM. Actually dosed it too high at 2300 ppm, so had to do some mixing with non dosed saltwater- fortunately I had some. Reading before replacement was down to 1700. It seems to drop fairly rapidly when left alone. After the water change it is up to 1720. There still isn't any sign of bryopsis in the tank, so i'm okay with holding it at this level. Maybe 1 more week. Alkalinity is remaining fairly stable at 8.1-8.4. Calcium always seem low. Instead of two part all/calc that I normally do I added 1/2 gram of sachem Reef Advantage Calcium.

Lost a fish today. Whether it has anything to do with elevated mag levels I have no idea. my pink tube anemone hasn't shown himself in a couple of days- I hope he's okay. Pipe Organ is not as full as usual. I have not noticed any loss of snails etc, which was what the fear was. In fact, my lettuce nudibranch has spawned! I now have 3 instead of one. I'm not sure there is enough algae in there for them to eat- thus they are brown instead of green. Might have to get some nori or something. Hopefully the water change helps with the other problems that seem to be developing.

CronicReefer

For what it's worth I use only Brightwell products and have never had a bryopsis issue. Not saying it doesn't appear from time to time but it always fades away without me having to intervene in any way. I also keep my phosphates at 0.00 on Hannah digital test so not sure if that should be factored in as well. I keep my magnesium around 1350-1400.

For what it's worth I use only Brightwell products and have never had a bryopsis issue. Not saying it doesn't appear from time to time but it always fades away without me having to intervene in any way. I also keep my phosphates at 0.00 on Hannah digital test so not sure if that should be factored in as well. I keep my magnesium around 1350-1400.

It was mentioned earlier that the founder of Kent Tech M is also the founder of Brightwell and that the magnesium formulas are the same. I never dosed magnesium before, just relied on water changes and whatever is in the Natureeef 2 part cal/alk. Mag was always between 1290-1320. Moving forward I will probably dose each independently.

Todays notes.

Without dosing, Mag remained at 1760

Calcium striglino to keep up at 390

Alkalinity stable at 8.1

Dosed calc/alk.

Noticed a few weak strands of Bryopsis. Dosing another 20ml Tech M

Does it only work on bryopsis or other algae as well? Ever since I put up my coral lights algae has overrun my tank.

Unfortunately, Tech M isn't a cure all for algae. But for some reason, several species of bryopsis seem to be affected by it.
Hammerstone

Unfortunately, Tech M isn't a cure all for algae. But for some reason, several species of bryopsis seem to be affected by it.

thank you !

Does it only work on bryopsis or other algae as well? Ever since I put up my coral lights algae has overrun my tank.

Like Seabass said, doesn't work on most algae. Unfortunately I just discovered some bubble algae. Planning to get a emerald mithrax to take care of it, but not until I bring the mag levels back down to a reasonable range. Hopefully it doesn't get out of control between now and then

Hammerstone

Like Seabass said, doesn't work on most algae. Unfortunately I just discovered some bubble algae. Planning to get a emerald mithrax to take care of it, but not until I bring the mag levels back down to a reasonable range. Hopefully it doesn't get out of control between now and then

Frustrating!!!

So I just dosed the last of my Tech M. Still a couple of strands of Bryopsis hanging on. When al is said and done, I don't think I would go this route again or really recommend it. Time will tell if it has worked long term, and I will post here any updates. But it is taking way too long to achieve results and still not sure if it will take care of all of it. The areas that were initially treated with peroxide and scrubbing remain free of Bryopsis. Could be that the addition of Tech M created an unfriendly environment for new growth to take hold. There is no way to know. As i am not going to buy another bottle of Tech M to continue the experiment, the plan now is to gradually let the mag level come down to normal. I may use Tech M for normal magnesium dosing if I need it, although I never did before. Weekly water changes have always kept my levels between 1290 and 1320, the same levels of natural sea water.

Hammerstone

Thanks for your thread. I followed it the whole way through. very interesting. I hope the bryopsis stays away for you. Good luck and keep us posted!!

So I just dosed the last of my Tech M. Still a couple of strands of Bryopsis hanging on. When al is said and done, I don't think I would go this route again or really recommend it. Time will tell if it has worked long term, and I will post here any updates. But it is taking way too long to achieve results and still not sure if it will take care of all of it...

If you let it go, it will recover. You've weakened it, so if you won't be using Tech M, I'd follow up with another treatment (like Dino X, peroxide, etc).

If you let it go, it will recover. You've weakened it, so if you won't be using Tech M, I'd follow up with another treatment (like Dino X, peroxide, etc).

This is my fear, of course. It's just taking much longer than I anticipated-8 weeks now. It's definitely not the most efficient course to take. Maybe I was too cautious and didn't bring the levels up fast enough, giving some of the strands time to adjust and become resistant. I don't know. SIGH. Science project fail.

Archived