ReefCleaners.org

Beating Bryopsis-Started TechM-Done!

Pjanssen

Hammerstone

The purple is so pretty? I need a rasping tool for my other tank. I still take care of the water but it's filled with what looks to be bryopsis since the tank crashed like six months ago so I'm actively using my other tank and not that one. Also I'm short and it's a 30 gallon tall on a stand. Almost thinking about ditching the rock and starting over in that tank.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would continue to increase the levels.. I had a nasty bryopsis outbreak about a year ago, and I had my levels around the 2k mark for a good two weeks. Don't go through all this effort to only bring your mag to 1590 and find out 3 weeks later, you still have bryopsis sitting in the tank. I actually just bought some Tech-M last night because I found a patch of bryopsis growing again a year later.. Gonna blast the area as soon as I receive the bottle. My only concern now is that I have a lot of high end SPS frags at the moment...

I would continue to increase the levels.. I had a nasty bryopsis outbreak about a year ago, and I had my levels around the 2k mark for a good two weeks. Don't go through all this effort to only bring your mag to 1590 and find out 3 weeks later, you still have bryopsis sitting in the tank. I actually just bought some Tech-M last night because I found a patch of bryopsis growing again a year later.. Gonna blast the area as soon as I receive the bottle. My only concern now is that I have a lot of high end SPS frags at the moment...

I'm a little concerned about coral health. just lost a hammer frag- may or may not be related to mag levels. Did you notice any problems with corals? I definitely don't want this coming back.

I'm a little concerned about coral health. just lost a hammer frag- may or may not be related to mag levels. Did you notice any problems with corals? I definitely don't want this coming back.

My zoas always just seemed annoyed at something, but I had a tank full of LPS and did not lose a single piece. All my acans, Euphyllia, and anemones seemed fine. I did have a huge problem with alkalinity at the time though. One point it did dip down to 6. I'm much more educated now than I was back then though, so I have a soda ash drip to bump it up 1dkh a day when it gets low. I also run kalkwasser to keep calcium and alk in check as well.

We face a choice, possibly losing some coral due to the treatment, or losing control of a tank that is full of coral by not treating (for fear of losing something).

star_trek_into_darkness__the_needs_of_th

Ok. So I will keep going with treatment. Have moved dying hammer back to quarantine tank-where I should have just left him to begin with.

My zoas always just seemed annoyed at something, but I had a tank full of LPS and did not lose a single piece. All my acans, Euphyllia, and anemones seemed fine. I did have a huge problem with alkalinity at the time though. One point it did dip down to 6. I'm much more educated now than I was back then though, so I have a soda ash drip to bump it up 1dkh a day when it gets low. I also run kalkwasser to keep calcium and alk in check as well.

Yes, I notice that my alkalinity is always dropping. I test daily and adjust accordingly. Will end up having spent a small fortune on test kits by the time i'm done. One of these days I will add dosers. There just doesn't seem to be any good place to put them on this tank

Ok. So I will keep going with treatment. Have moved dying hammer back to quarantine tank-where I should have just left him to begin with.

Yes, I notice that my alkalinity is always dropping. I test daily and adjust accordingly. Will end up having spent a small fortune on test kits by the time i'm done. One of these days I will add dosers. There just doesn't seem to be any good place to put them on this tank

One thing, people may not agree with is I seem to be able to raise my alkalinity by a point instantly without dosing. I mix soda ash in RO, then just throw it in the sump. The alk test later shows a raise of 1 dkh point, and I don't see any negative effects.

Hammerstone

lmao at motivational cap above and stolen for other posts about algae lol w good crediting of course

hey that was from the Star Trek movie and quite an emotional scene!!!

Right now on another forum nine people are complaining that their expensive brand salt mix is 1760 magnesium and they want it down immediately. If it doesn't come down, doom will come and the company be spurned for having produced such a batch.

Buy that water and be happy someone who felt under magnesium assault pointed it out for us

No work anti bryopsis water.

Why the heck would someone not start a reef with no test, no dose, no detail magnesium good level water

:)

http://reef2reef.com/threads/magnesium-super-high-in-newly-mixed-saltwater-is-it-safe-to-use.252382/

It is ironic how differently we each view sides of a reef coin depending on frame of ref

Hammerstone

what was?

in keeping with the plan-

mag level is up to 1760

alk 8.4

cal 400

it was a motivational poster about five posts up. I'm just being silly!?

Right now on another forum nine people are complaining that their expensive brand salt mix is 1760 magnesium and they want it down immediately. If it doesn't come down, doom will come and the company be spurned for having produced such a batch.

Buy that water and be happy someone who felt under magnesium assault pointed it out for us

No work anti bryopsis water.

I truly believe that it's not the magnesium, but some other element in Tech M that kills bryopsis. However, we can test for magnesium, as opposed to some mystery element, which gives us a way to monitor how much we are dosing. My thought is (if using water that's already high in magnesium) you'd have to raise it even higher than typically used for treatment of bryopsis, in order to be effective.

Threads exist showing brightwell magnesium working on bry was one confound that led me away from the unknown factor stance

if it turns out to be not name brand associated i pose it's photosynthetic back up from whichever photosystem in algae biology uses magnesium vs iron at its core and we are blasting the mg too much for susceptible plants. If someone discovers using repeatable and independently-verifiable means the secret action of Kent then they slay the Loch Ness monster of reefing.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903281

http://aquanerd.com/2013/01/magnesium-dosing-for-hair-algae.html

I assume that over 90% of all Tech M sales are to people treating bryopsis. Sales will fall off drastically if it turns out that any magnesium supplement works. However, I thought that people have tried other brands with no success. I'm sure I could find threads to this effect.

But it would be nice to use a product that didn't have all the other ingredients in it.

A poster further up mentioned something about it possibly being the lithium in Tech M. It seems to me that if there were some evidence of this, then Kent would do the research to find out and create a product specifically for bryopsis, much like chemiclean for cyano. It would fly off the shelf

I didn't manage to read through everything but figured I would share my findings with the bryopsis crew. When doing some research on the triton method I came across a very interesting read. For those unfamiliar with the triton method here is the very simple dumbed down version. You basically send in your water sample to get an extremely accurate reading on your major parameters along with about a dozen or more trace elements. Then dosing accordingly to correct the issues found.

Again very dumbed down but it will do for my point. A few of the people running this method were dosing tech M to kill bryopsis. While dosing and sending in their results they were getting back readings of elevated mag (obvious due the the tech m) but were also reading high elevations of lithium. They were speculating that lithium might be the secret ingredient in kent tech m. Now by no means is this proven but was an interesting correlation and I would love for a science person to give it a try!

With my battle of bryopsis I dosed my display directly with peroxide. As the above suggest I am not scientific so I was not measuring accurately but after a week of dosing a squirt or two twice a day directly to the tank the bryopsis was gone.

^

Kent has little incentive to identify why their product seems to be effective on certain species of bryopsis (as people already purchase the product for this purpose). However, identifying and marketing a product specifically to treat bryopsis, could greatly benefit another company. Some have speculated that, not only could it be an unlisted ingredient, but the effective ingredient(s) might even be an impurity or contaminate.

As I've mentioned previously in this post, its seems some preliminary testing may have shown lithium to be the secret ingredient in the tech M. Please someone with some science skill test this out :)

I have tried using several forms of mag and nothing but the tech m worked. I am a very strong believer that it is something in the formula and mag is really just a way to commonly measure how much of this mystery element is in the tank.

Been following, just wanted to kibbitz.

To my knowledge, isn't Lithium poisonous? My Dad (Rest In Peace) was on Lithium for Bi-polar depression.

He had to get tested periodically for levels. Again, if memory serves me, Lithium is a Heavy Metal, isn't it?

My point is, and just me and my concerns would be, why would a company knowingly put such a thing in it's product?

Please don't bash me.

Tech M contains lots of potentially dangerous elements (to reef tanks) in high concentrations.

Listed Ingredients:

Deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium.

Hammerstone

Been following, just wanted to kibbitz.

To my knowledge, isn't Lithium poisonous? My Dad (Rest In Peace) was on Lithium for Bi-polar depression.

He had to get tested periodically for levels. Again, if memory serves me, Lithium is a Heavy Metal, isn't it?

My point is, and just me and my concerns would be, why would a company knowingly put such a thing in it's product?

Please don't bash me.

God bless your father. Bipolar is an ugly beast. I'm bipolar as well and my psych kept raising my lithium and it was working great, that was until she accidentally had it so high I had lithium poisoning and ended up in the hospital. It took three years to get my bipolar under control and like 80 million medicine combinations. I feel for you. Why would anyone bash you?

God bless your father. Bipolar is an ugly beast. I'm bipolar as well and my psych kept raising my lithium and it was working great, that was until she accidentally had it so high I had lithium poisoning and ended up in the hospital. It took three years to get my bipolar under control and like 80 million medicine combinations. I feel for you. Why would anyone bash you?

I was concerned that it would have turned into a "Can of Worms'

I too have been diagnosed with Bipolar. However and thankfully is very mild at this time and am not needing Lithium.

God Bless you Hammer...Yeah, Lithium poisoning, NASTY! Glad u pulled thru that scare.

it is a natural component of sea salt anyway, spread everywhere in earths crust

I don't think they're spiking it, its resulting from reduction and processing and not that impactful, not knowing lithium never affected me or my corals in 16 yrs. param detailing is ok too, its the 2016 way. I don't think anyone invented a reef lithium scrubber yet, anyone wanna make a million kickstarter bux

it is the exact trend of everyone selling and consuming copious vitamin C in the 90s, linus pauling probably generated a billion dollars retail alone by simply writing massive doses of vit c are healthy (not claiming they are or are not, just that oranges and veggies suffice)

people literally want to pay money for neutral things, either take it and put it in a bank acct or let the next sales person do it, either way they want to throw benjamins at this lithium craze for sure. someone find a reef safe binder for lithium, put it in a little white filter box marked Li BAD and make one million dollars.

it is a natural component of sea salt anyway

It is, but lithium really shouldn't need to be supplemented beyond what's in salt mix. Hard to say what element or elements are responsible for for the demise of bryopsis. It's interesting that this was even discovered by someone.

Archived