Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

I'd recommend playing with your bluefish controller... a lot. Beware of pendant shift. That had me pulling out my hair one night. Dave and Spencer are awesome resources. I'm willing to help. I'm no expert, but I like to "tinker"

Thanks. I'll remember that. And Dave of course told me to give him my logins and he'll set it up or whatever. I have to wait til I can have someone come over w/ a ladder and secure it to the ceiling first, then get the rocks sent to me, add my sand & rocks & then get the controller going. I can tinker while it's taking time to cycle for 2-3 wks.

• Like 1

I'd recommend playing with your bluefish controller... a lot. Beware of pendant shift. That had me pulling out my hair one night. Dave and Spencer are awesome resources. I'm willing to help. I'm no expert, but I like to "tinker"

Oh, forgot to ask, what is pendant shift?

In other news, I've been spying some leathers and rfas. I can't tell you how good it feels to window shop on the internet right now knowing I'll be able to start up soon.

• Like 2
righttirefire

I'll make this visual...

My normal bluefish setting

Screenshot_2016-03-19-12-26-12_zpsvgkx0x

Pendant shift - 90 minutes

Screenshot_2016-03-19-12-26-54_zpsvdwfrk

You see the delay? It's on the same schedule but the ramp started 90 mintues later and runs 90 minutes longer.

I don't run a "moonlight" on my tank I want it to be dark at night. So my morning and evening settings are my moonlight channel. The little humps at my up/down ramps. And midday is my light cycle.

That's my personal preference

righttirefire

Did you get all these or you were just looking? I missed something there!

Just looking... that's almost $600 in livestock. I can't manage that. But they're pretty.

• Like 1

Just looking... that's almost $600 in livestock. I can't manage that. But they're pretty.

Yeah, great fun looking and then you notice it's gone and then you know there's a great likelihood someone on NR has it. Kinda fun when that happens as you can still see it every once in a while. I found I don't always like the most expensive ones, sometimes there's too much going on. I always loved my yellow nem w/ white outside. It made for pretty contrast and then I hope that it's a more dominant color when some babies happen. I think it's good to have some bold colors. Miss this guy.

20151003_211440_zpsx2bjfebi.jpg

And here were some babies I had that then all disappeared.

20151003_202220_zpsxmizm92z.jpg

20141102_144236_zpsqwcgx72q.jpg

You got you're from vip right?

yes, 95% of this tank, all hand picked.

• Like 1
righttirefire

I have the same problem... Thinking about 10 more from rarereef... they're so expensive out there... like $50+ for bland ones. But I don't want to spend $100+ for nice wysiwyg rfas like I carted with got-corals.com

I just read up to date on this new build of yours. It's always exciting to dream about, then plan, and then build a brand new system. I remember back when you first got Gertie and her sister in a batch of live rock. It was great to follow that thread and I still peek at it from time to time. I'm looking forward to watching this take shape and am certain it will be worth watching.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I have the same problem... Thinking about 10 more from rarereef... they're so expensive out there... like $50+ for bland ones. But I don't want to spend $100+ for nice wysiwyg rfas like I carted with got-corals.com

I saw those from Got-Corals today at the swap. Awesome? Yes. $100? Not for me.... VIP reef or DoucheReef (RareReef) has the nicer ones for under $30

• Like 1

I just read up to date on this new build of yours. It's always exciting to dream about, then plan, and then build a brand new system. I remember back when you first got Gertie and her sister in a batch of live rock. It was great to follow that thread and I still peek at it from time to time. I'm looking forward to watching this take shape and am certain it will be worth watching.

Yeah, quite a bit of excitement in there when one of them jumped the divider cuz she jumped off the rock she was on, then one of them was in the fuge between the baffles and I managed to get her out. Then of course she killed her sister, aunt, friend lickety split and ate her. Such drama. But I'm happy to report that Gert has never killed a fish. She did eat one that had popeye eye but she & the gramma got along really well, only inches from each other's home. And Gert now has done really well with the 6line and the diamond goby for 2 mos now. Though....I haven't seen him the last several days, he usually always hid in the back of my 34 g anyway.

• Like 1

I saw those from Got-Corals today at the swap. Awesome? Yes. $100? Not for me.... VIP reef or DoucheReef (RareReef) has the nicer ones for under $30

I look but I don't buy. I know where my loyalties lie. I can't help it. I like picking each and every one myself.

excited to watch this develop. So sorry about the loss of all of your beautiful RFAs

and that is what makes it even harder to swallow when something happens. Thanks.

I bought some hooks today so a member in my local club previously told me he'd help hang it. He also bought my old dry, white rock like 22 lbs for $75. I told him since he offered to hang my light I'd lower that to $65. To be 64 tomorrow but then 72 on Wed. THAT is my day to spray paint. I need to bring it into the kitchen and carefully wash it tonight or tomorrow so I'll be ready to spray paint!!!.

You buy you rfas from vip right?

yes

How could I, this group didn't let me. Actually, if I lost Gertie I may have stopped for a while. I saw the royal gramma dead, floating in 66 degree water above the toadstool and I was afraid to look below the macro and toady but she was moving around like nothin. She's a survivor, awesome little thing.

Sorry for the loses :( Glad you haven't given up!

I know I'd miss it too much to stop. :)

• Like 1

yes

How could I, this group didn't let me. Actually, if I lost Gertie I may have stopped for a while. I saw the royal gramma dead, floating in 66 degree water above the toadstool and I was afraid to look below the macro and toady but she was moving around like nothin. She's a survivor, awesome little thing.

I know I'd miss it too much to stop. :)

I had a disaster awhile back too, a few even!! I don't think I could ever stop even though its expensive. I am glad Gertie made it through :)

I am starting up a 75g when I move and am a little anxious about the whole process, I do not want to lose my fish in the move.

• Like 1

I had a disaster awhile back too, a few even!! I don't think I could ever stop even though its expensive. I am glad Gertie made it through :)

I am starting up a 75g when I move and am a little anxious about the whole process, I do not want to lose my fish in the move.

I remember your post, just not the details, are you having to move far?

yay, new thread. can't wait to see what Frank sends you.

Yeah, I don't know how he's working that. I don't know if he's just going to send me 10 of his choice or what. It's whatever he wants, I just feel gracious.

I am though taking on a new spin for this tank. With the exception of the rock flowers, to help limit myself so it doesn't get too jam packed, if I pick a macro, I want there to be a leather in the same color family. I want some continuity. And I'm seriously thinking about each piece I want, not just being excited by a sale and getting it.

I already have Dragon's breath macro, that one will probably be hard to find a leather for, it might just have to be a pink unless someone knows about reds or burgandy's that are not the non-photosynthetic steynos.

I have gsp and I'll have a green leather.

Thinking about lavender and pink next, which there's not a shortage of leathers that have those colors.

• Like 2

So, I've been doing some looking, and giving in :P and buying some macros to start off in Gert's tank until they fill up a little. I may or may not move the dragon's breath over. I might just sell some to my local group to pay for future leathers. I'm also thinking some codium as I like the contrast in shape and color it brings Mirya's tank. And a couple other things I've researched. I also bought a leather and a softie.

Not sure how I feel about having tan leathers. I like my toadstool because the top is green. That will still remain in Gertie's tank though. I want to start with smaller ones in the 40 so I can see them fill in and they'll all be sized the same

I did buy a Jebao RW4 and 3 nems as a thank you to Frank at VIP. I just can't help it. Giving someone 10 is a lot. and I guess I don't know how to just accept nicety. I'll put them temporarily in the 10g. Once it's cycled I'll get a CUC and then put them in.

• Like 2

I remember your post, just not the details, are you having to move far?

I am not sure yet. It could be Oregon (REALLY FAR!) or Milwaukee which is 6 hours.

So, I've been doing some looking, and giving in :P and buying some macros to start off in Gert's tank until they fill up a little. I may or may not move the dragon's breath over. I might just sell some to my local group to pay for future leathers. I'm also thinking some codium as I like the contrast in shape and color it brings Mirya's tank. And a couple other things I've researched. I also bought a leather and a softie.

Not sure how I feel about having tan leathers. I like my toadstool because the top is green. That will still remain in Gertie's tank though. I want to start with smaller ones in the 40 so I can see them fill in and they'll all be sized the same

I did buy a Jebao RW4 and 3 nems as a thank you to Frank at VIP. I just can't help it. Giving someone 10 is a lot. and I guess I don't know how to just accept nicety. I'll put them temporarily in the 10g. Once it's cycled I'll get a CUC and then put them in.

Did VIP give you some nems to get you started again? If so, wow!! I will have to shop there more often to support how awesome they are!

I probably missed it, which leathers did you buy?

I have a green nepthea that was one of my very 1st corals many many years ago. Going to hold on to that sucker forever, it has seen the good times and the bad.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't know how he's working that. I don't know if he's just going to send me 10 of his choice or what. It's whatever he wants, I just feel gracious.

I am though taking on a new spin for this tank. With the exception of the rock flowers, to help limit myself so it doesn't get too jam packed, if I pick a macro, I want there to be a leather in the same color family. I want some continuity. And I'm seriously thinking about each piece I want, not just being excited by a sale and getting it.

I already have Dragon's breath macro, that one will probably be hard to find a leather for, it might just have to be a pink unless someone knows about reds or burgandy's that are not the non-photosynthetic steynos.

I have gsp and I'll have a green leather.

Thinking about lavender and pink next, which there's not a shortage of leathers that have those colors.

Lawn has a red leather - if you look at his thread, it is the big branching leather in the right back corner. I think that type would go well with your dragon's breath.

• Like 1