Pod Your Reef

Frogfish's 32 Gallon Reef - Back to looking... okay-ish

YaBoyLaj

• 2 weeks later...

All is good in the reef, all except for the larger fuzzy mushroom either splitting or withering away from the center out, but he was free and it would free up A LOT of space (I want to make a small euphyllia garden) Fish are good, corals have good PE and are growing fast :) I hope to be getting the IM Nuvo 10 soon and start a brand new LPS/Softie Reef. Just a little update - TPF

• Like 1

That's great news!

I've had to live with a couple less than attractive mushrooms, and they really can take up a lot of space. And of course they are impossible to kill when you don't want them :rolleyes:

• Like 1

That's great news!

I've had to live with a couple less than attractive mushrooms, and they really can take up a lot of space. And of course they are impossible to kill when you don't want them :rolleyes:

Lol, he looks sorta normal during the day but absolutely awful at night... I don't get it but I'm doing nothing to stop it :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

HERE COMES A HUGE ASS RANT!!!!

So, tank is doing pretty great! My kenya tree wasn't opening at all, at first i thought he was shedding but shedding doesn't take 4 weeks. I found the issue one week ago; an aptasia had grown behind him and was catching all the kenya tree's food which made him grow pretty quick which in turn led his tentacles to grow and sting the hell outta the tree. So today i grabbed some RO/DI boiled it and blasted the living hell out of this thing and all of its demonic spawn then sucked all the little bastards up. I got a new heater which is working wonders for my tank, completely digital and accurate (I forget the name, i'll get it tomorrow :P ) One of my xenias is not doing too well, my guess is that one of my discoma shrooms that grew to MEGA Size was bothering him either with slime or just shading them, so i decided to move them, they're attached to a dead acro branch so moving was simple. Their new spot is next to my pink xenia which is super happy so maybe that happiness will spread :) . My green sinularia has colored up and is finally showing good PE! My damn humungus fuzzy shroom split so if anyone wants 1 or 3, u can have them, they take up 1/4 of the tank... I am getting some sunny d zoas tomorrow and some other type of zoa that one of my co workers used to grow out, $40 bucks a head and i'm getting one for free, so idk how that'll go. Also kinda pissed cuz i can't go to RAP cuz i have traffic school... I've had my liscense for 4 months and I already got a ticket R.I.P good thing is that the insurance wont go up so YAY! And finally the NUVO IS CONFIRMED! I will be picking it up within the next month or so, just gotta save a bit more. I plan to use an AI Prime and the Ghost skimmer. Not too sure if i should use the tiny ass sock it comes with or spend a bit more and get the media rack, leaning towards the rack. But idk lol.

• Like 2

A new tank??? Wow, thats something to look forward to!

Yeah! I'm super stoked, the main reason is because colleges usually have a maximum tank size of 10 gallons. So I start a 10 g reef now, let it establish and grow for 2 years so I have a happy healthy nano reef for college! :D

• Like 1

So, new plans! I was originally going to buy some sunny D zoas but we just ordered some ANEMONE SHRIMP! OMG I'm so happy, I'll be picking one up today! I am crossing my fingers that he hosts my rainbow mini maxi fingerscrossed , but idk,I'm just happy i'll have a nem shrimp finally!

• Like 1

Thanks! So do I, I'm gonna baby him so much :P

I have a pair of Pedersons and a Venus. Since they are constantly picking and eating all day in the wild, I feed mine a varied diet 2x/day which has kept them fat and healthy for many months now. Their lifespan in aquaria seems to be around a year or so from what I've read.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Pedersons and a Venus. Since they are constantly picking and eating all day in the wild, I feed mine a varied diet 2x/day which has kept them fat and healthy for many months now. Their lifespan in aquaria seems to be around a year or so from what I've read.

My dream invert is a venus anemone shrimp cuz of the way they shake and clap!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't added anything new, my lfs is getting an indonesian coral shipment tomorrow so I might snag something up. The fish are great and i got the anemone shrimp eating (he's an asshole lol) The corals are ok but the main issue in my tank atm are the fuzzy shrooms, they are completely shading my once beautiful eagle eye zoas who have now paled out. Tomorrow im going to wait till the shrooms close and try and pry them off using the lips of the rock to my advantage, but if it comes down to drastic measures I'll take the rock out and chizzle them off. My manager offered me a brand new ATO for an amazing price so i'll definitely be grabbing that. Also, sher kahn my close to 1 y/o tiger pistol is getting very... home makey meaning that he has decided to move every grain of sand he can find, my green stripe discosoma got covered, detached itself and came home to find it between a hermit and crab shell at the entrance of his burrow, so i guess his new thing is discosomas, he did the same with my brand new orange shroom, took him a day to take that one <_< but besides all this mess, the tank is doing well :)

• Like 1

"home makey" :lol:

I'm glad things are going well. Once mushrooms decide they like the conditions, they can grow like crazy. In my 4g I had some red discos that were really pretty but were constantly multiplying and killing everything else. I'd take the rock out and put drops of boiling water on them until they were dissolved. Two or three weeks later, I'd have new baby mushrooms, and the process would repeat every couple months.

I am happy that the tank is doing well. Growing pains, (corals thriving and shading other corals)is not as bad a situation as out of control algae and such.

"home makey" :lol:

I'm glad things are going well. Once mushrooms decide they like the conditions, they can grow like crazy. In my 4g I had some red discos that were really pretty but were constantly multiplying and killing everything else. I'd take the rock out and put drops of boiling water on them until they were dissolved. Two or three weeks later, I'd have new baby mushrooms, and the process would repeat every couple months.

Yeah, they have an incredibly strong hold, looks like im gonna have to do one of3 things, boiling water, chizzle or simply put a euphyllia between them and let nature take its course lol

I am happy that the tank is doing well. Growing pains, (corals thriving and shading other corals)is not as bad a situation as out of control algae and such.

That is 110% true, i'm very satisfied with the tank rn, hopefully dosing kalkwasser and adding an ato will help things even more :)

ALSO! I FOUND BOTH MY SHROOMS!

• Like 1

well, i've been incredibly busy with finals, but tank is still good, today is payday so i will be going on a pretty big spending spree so heres the entire breakdown of what i'm getting

1. Water Jugs, Never needed more than one, but i'll definitely need more with my new tank coming in

2. ATO This will be getting here next week, i'm stoked about this one

3. Reef Pro Test Kit, the one's i'm using now are garbage

4. 20g bin, Gonna need this for the ato, i run my tank at 78 topless, more evaporation, more RO

5. Reef foundation ABC, dose this at work, I'm so done with the shit i use now, gotta invest in some better stuff

6. My favorite! I'm snagging up a zanzibar boxer shrimp! I'm gonna have to watch him after acclimation to make sure he wont mess with anyone, but I have kept a pair of stenopus hispidus in the past (60g fish only) and had no issues, but now with the addition of some delicate species, i'll be a bit more cautious this time around

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Such as??

Haha, nothing too major, I added a RBTA but my damn anemone shrimp bothers the hell outta it, the tank went through a big re-scape and i plan on moving my green sinularia and possibly my toadstool into the 12, where i believe they would be much happier. The next move in this tank is finding xenia of any type or anything related such as annethelia and just make a forest of it. The tank is so established with a higher level of nutrience, I believe the xenia would thrive mainly because i have a colony of pulse xenia that went from 2 heads to 3 large stalks in about 4 months, fish wise, nothing has changed except for the dottyback which is loving life, but i may or may not change it up a bit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1