Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dylan's 22 L-L for law (but really, long) - new sandbed

Dylan.N

Nothing good at either store. I miss Orlando. I don't like the idea of buying fish online, so I'll keep looking around.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday marked 11 weeks after my clowns died of ich, so I decided to check out a store I had heard about out east near where I work. They had a great fish selection. Even lightning clowns, which were cool. I hadn't seen those in person before. I decided to get a pair of Davincis again like my last pair. They are acclimating now.

Nice! I had ich too, brought in by one fish, killing the other 3 off. Eight weeks for me this Thurs or so, so I'm getting the replacement royal gramma and pygmy angelfish. I hope we're both done w/ that ichy past.

It was the first time I had a fish die of any parasite/disease. It was devastating because I did everything right (except QT, but, you know...)

The lady at the store said they kept their salinity low, but damn. I've been drip acclimating for almost 3 hours now and I'm just barely at 1.020. My tank is 1.024. I've calibrated my refractometer twice now just to be sure lol.

4 hours later. That was the longest I've ever acclimated anything lol. I got to 1.023 and decided to just put them in the tank. They are already exploring. I'll get some pictures in a little bit.

Feeding time reveals blasto babies.

13912647_1325918974086734_90260543558153

13887130_1325918944086737_43878531942551

And I finally got somewhat decent pics of the clowns during feeding.

13906845_1325918937420071_24934895696979

13879394_1325918924086739_79858507654757

13876261_1325918904086741_90221658754808

13925309_1325918807420084_13215324815453

5 babies, that is really prolific!

I counted 8 or 9! I couldn't get a picture of the ones in the back. I noticed a few baby heads when I first got the blasto. But they have definitely gotten bigger since then. The other blasto in the tank has 2 baby heads.

My next step for this tank is to replace the sandbed. I hate this sand and I don't know why I bought it. It looks terrible, there are large rocks and shells everywhere which are covered in brown algae, and the sand clumps together, and then those clumps get covered in algae. Why I didn't buy Figi Pink is beyond me. But maybe next week when I have a break between work and class I will make the switch. This past summer I replaced the sandbed in my tank back in FL (you can see that on page 3, but the pictures are gone for some reason) and that was well worth it.

Is the 36" Current USA TrueLumen Pro Deepwater Blue Actinic LED StripLight you listed the only light you are using? i saw the great growth you are getting and was thinking of adding a strip to my small t5 fixture.

Is the 36" Current USA TrueLumen Pro Deepwater Blue Actinic LED StripLight you listed the only light you are using? i saw the great growth you are getting and was thinking of adding a strip to my small t5 fixture.

It is the only light. It's pretty decent. My old college roommate used these lights on his tank and the growth was amazing. He also had a marine fusion striplight, and I am thinking about getting that as well for a more full spectrum. But the actinic on it's own is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a bit of an aiptasia outbreak. I know it's hit or miss with peppermint shrimp, but when we had a few in my roommate's tank a few years back, they completely demolished all of the aiptasia. I'll try my luck.

I thought I heard there were like 6 different kinds but only one eats it, and who knows, maybe that's only if they are fed nothing otherwise.

Cencalfishguy56

I'm having a bit of an aiptasia outbreak. I know it's hit or miss with peppermint shrimp, but when we had a few in my roommate's tank a few years back, they completely demolished all of the aiptasia. I'll try my luck.

dude I need to keep up! Excellent work bro! Davinci clowns?

I thought I heard there were like 6 different kinds but only one eats it, and who knows, maybe that's only if they are fed nothing otherwise.

Yea it's tricky. It's worth a shot, though.

dude I need to keep up! Excellent work bro! Davinci clowns?

Yes, Davincis! They have been trying to pair up lately and it's been interesting to watch. I thought for sure one of them was going to end up being the male, but now that one appears to be turning into the female. The male is finally starting to succumb and do the "twitch" movements.

Cencalfishguy56

Yea it's tricky. It's worth a shot, though.

Yes, Davincis! They have been trying to pair up lately and it's been interesting to watch. I thought for sure one of them was going to end up being the male, but now that one appears to be turning into the female. The male is finally starting to succumb and do the "twitch" movements.

from day two my davinci let her be known nudging the Darwin misbar and then the misbar started the "twitch" lol

from day two my davinci let her be known nudging the Darwin misbar and then the misbar started the "twitch" lol

They are funny. The female kept chasing and nipping the male like crazy and I was watching like "come on! twitch already!" Now he's doing it and she's bothering him less lol.

Well the one clown is still chasing the other all over the tank and bullying. But now they have switched. The one that is chasing and wasn't twitching before is now doing the twitch. These 2 can't make up their minds.

• 2 weeks later...

how many lbs of rock do you have in your tank?

20-22. Can't remember.

Haven't been on in a while. Tank is going through it's growing pains. Little bit of algae and still a good amount of aiptasia. Haven't had a chance to pick up a peppermint shrimp or aiptasia-x.

• 4 weeks later...

Tank is still doing well. I've been really busy this semester so I haven't done anything besides the weekly water change. But here is a nice growth comparison of some acans.

14448896_1393949937283637_27410811853847

14523243_1393949933950304_78618553119076

Archived