Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dylan's 22 L-L for law (but really, long) - new sandbed

Dylan.N

Been trying to get the clowns to eat pellets these past few days. They are quick to grab the pellets, but they don't swallow them. I wonder if the pellets are too large... Either way, there are plenty of cerith eggs for them to eat, but they don't go near them.

Try crushing them up, something as simple as the side of a knife would work just fine. That's what I had to do to get my clown eating pellets.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try crushing them up, something as simple as the side of a knife would work just fine. That's what I had to do to get my clown eating pellets.

That definitely seemed to help. They didn't eat everything, so maybe they just aren't hungry. Maybe I'll try mysis or seaweed?

Here are some new FTS and a top down pic of the only coral (for now).

13055242_1234276336584332_34335709702962

13007318_1234276379917661_4829877315581513048209_1234276346584331_36561987919931

A snail decided to take a trip up through the filter intake tube. Was about to fall asleep and heard a bunch of gurgling and bubbles. Gotta be kidding me...

Got some nice acans yesterday. Hard to get a good picture of them, but they are bright blue and orange with a little yellow near the mouths. Tentacles have been out a lot so I fed them some pellets and they devoured it.

Cencalfishguy56

Got some nice acans yesterday. Hard to get a good picture of them, but they are bright blue and orange with a little yellow near the mouths. Tentacles have been out a lot so I fed them some pellets and they devoured it.

lol picssss
Cencalfishguy56

Best I can get. The camera makes it look blue and green, but it really is blue and orange.

13043506_1236447993033833_23142840815678

still looks like a healthy nice piece man!

Clowns have been eating like pigs this week. I had a suicidal nerite snail last night. Woke up to a trail of dried saltwater going down the tank and stand and found the snail on the floor not far from the tank. Must have crawled through the top of the egg crate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this came out of nowhere. I came home today and noticed my clowns appear to have ich. They were perfectly fine yesterday. They have been eating fine, including today. They don't show any signs of stress. They swim around the tank normally. Salinity is 1.025, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates (API testkit, so not sure how accurate). But my pH has always been low - between 7.9 and 8.0. I'm thinking this may be the cause. Now when I say the clowns "appear" to have ich, it is because I'm not entirely positive. It might also be velvet. It's only visible if I look very closely. My phone camera doesn't even pick it up. It is on most of their bodies, though. I don't know what to do yet, and I am still very busy with finals all this week. Talk about bad timing.

Thanks! I'm doing a water change tomorrow (been doing them once a week). Going to see what happens I guess since I really don't have the time right now to do any sort of treatment.

I'm still coming up with a plan. My friend had a 5 gallon tank laying around so she gave me that and a small HOB filter she had. I already have a spare powerhead and heater that I use to make my own saltwater, so I could set this up as a hospital tank. I fly home next Tuesday for about 9 days. I'm thinking I can set this up, let it cycle while I'm away, and hope the fish are still alive by the time I get back and start treatment. Only thing I don't have is a light. Is a light absolutely necessary?

Cencalfishguy56

I'm still coming up with a plan. My friend had a 5 gallon tank laying around so she gave me that and a small HOB filter she had. I already have a spare powerhead and heater that I use to make my own saltwater, so I could set this up as a hospital tank. I fly home next Tuesday for about 9 days. I'm thinking I can set this up, let it cycle while I'm away, and hope the fish are still alive by the time I get back and start treatment. Only thing I don't have is a light. Is a light absolutely necessary?

i don't have a light on mine, I just have an AC50 with filter floss, rock and heater

They're still showing no signs of stress. But I've never seen a fish with ich in person before, so it's hard to tell. Hang in there, little buddies.

Cencalfishguy56

They're still showing no signs of stress. But I've never seen a fish with ich in person before, so it's hard to tell. Hang in there, little buddies.

just keep them well fed and hope for the best! You never know they might pull through

Both clowns ate twice today, but one of them appears to have taken a turn for the worse. Swimming lazily and starting to float sideways. Not looking good right now :(

Things are looking much better. Both clowns are looking considerably healthier. The white spots have almost gone away. There are still some spots, but compared to what they looked like this past weekend, they are looking much better. Very strange.

And in other news, I took my last final exam today. 1L year is complete!

Cencalfishguy56

Things are looking much better. Both clowns are looking considerably healthier. The white spots have almost gone away. There are still some spots, but compared to what they looked like this past weekend, they are looking much better. Very strange.

And in other news, I took my last final exam today. 1L year is complete!

did you do any treatments or just feed them?

Woke up this morning to find 1 of the clowns dead :( It was looking pretty rough these past few days. It's tail fin appeared to be ripped and each day it got worse. The other clown is heavily covered in ich and is hiding in the rocks. Not looking too good. It may be for the best, though. Just run the tank fallow for a few months and let the ich die out.

In other news, I have a pod outburst. Hundreds of them are all over the glass.

Other clown passed overnight. Poor little guys. DAMN YOU ICH.

Now I guess I'll run the tank fallow for a few months and hopefully it all dies out. This was my first fish disease/parasite experience, and I am definitely going to run a QT from now on.

Archived