ReefCleaners.org

Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!

natalia_la_loca

fishfreak0114

Congrats on the reefbowl's one year birthday!  I'm glad it made it through the power outage unscathed :)  this is such a beautiful and inspiring tank, it gives me the itch to give a pico a try.  Now how do I convince my mom to let me convert a vase into a reef?  I have the perfect vase (temporarily housing a betta)...

• Like 1
23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

March 9, 2017 , 5:45 pm

Departed Post Office

:haha:Can't wait to get some reef bowl corals in my tank!

omgomgomg

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca
23 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Congrats on the reefbowl's one year birthday!  I'm glad it made it through the power outage unscathed :)  this is such a beautiful and inspiring tank, it gives me the itch to give a pico a try.  Now how do I convince my mom to let me convert a vase into a reef?  I have the perfect vase (temporarily housing a betta)...

Thanks :) I still can't believe the new air pump and heat packs arrived the day of the outage. We got lucky, our power was only out about 7 hours. Cherry Corals is still running on generators.

tell your mom it's cheap and easy and beautiful. And vases are better for corals than bettas anyway ;) 

23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

March 9, 2017 , 5:45 pm

Departed Post Office

:haha:Can't wait to get some reef bowl corals in my tank!

I'm on pins and needles, I hope they get there early and intact!

Now that I've shipped out Teeny's frags, I've taken one of the frag racks out so the snails could clean the filthy glass behind it. They are very efficient, it's already clean!

I noticed the LFS has some tiny pom pom crabs. Wondering if one of them would do well in the reefbowl, and not harass the corals. Would a feeding once or twice a week be enough, with scavenging in between?

• Like 1

From everything I've seen, I think a tiny Pom-Pom would do fine in here. 

I can't speak to whether or not they'd do fine with one or two feedings a week though, hopefully some experienced Pom-Pom owners can chime in on that. 

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Yeah, that's my worry. I wouldn't want them to get really hungry and start munching corals. I am probably going to increase the frequency of feedings a little because nitrate is so low, but still not sure if that would be enough for a crab.

I consider them to be the ideal crab for picos. ive used pom poms since 2001

they do stand on corals but not predate them

they can go up and yank a bit of food out of an acan, but that's par for a reef its not kid gloves world lol! Ive never seen my boxers do anything wrong to cause any loss, and, Ive lost two in my bowl unable to retrieve them and the system digested them without a cycle or spike. my longest captive boxer/pom pom crab was 5 yrs in the reefbowl. the will adapt to the feeding you already provide just fine. their only negative is crawling on the corals, youll see some closed up time to time because of that and Ive never lost a coral because of them. open and close is a coral's life.

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca

Holy cow, five years! That's fantastic.

okay, I'll probably pick one up in a week or so. I'm adding something else today :ninja:

• Like 5
natalia_la_loca
26 minutes ago, gena said:

You guys make me want to set up a pico bowl :).  It won't happen, but I love them!

They definitely are fun, honestly the most fun I've ever had with a reef tank :) I'm right there with you though, i have (almost)  no desire to have more than one tank!

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Here are some pix of the reefbowl from earlier today, before the feeding and water change.

32548022893_c4449e4f3c_b.jpg

33234592431_c9bef1c031_b.jpg

33234579721_eeaa3f06c2_b.jpg

I like having the front sandbed a little more open. It's easier to clean too.

32979730610_e3a74a1408_b.jpg

Went to Cherry Corals today. I bought something during their post-live-sale sale. Will post pics of the new acquisition tomorrow :) 

by the way, I really had to hunt to find any hair algae. Several strands of it turned out to be cat hairs ;) This is day 28 at the full dose of flucon. Added another full dose after the WC.

• Like 10
hedgeclipper2
7 hours ago, gena said:

You guys make me want to set up a pico bowl :).  It won't happen, but I love them!

Just do it!!!  I love my Pico.

I hope you have more luck with YCG by the way, my GCG unfortunately didn't make it.  Same problem, never ate and was malnourished directly from LA.

Also, what is everyone feeding their Pom Pom's?

@natalia_la_loca :wub:

Bowl is so pretty!

• Like 2

Shelby says YES your bowl needs a pom pom. ;)  My first pom I kept in a 1.5 gallon with my original rics, St. Thomas, and D. carlgreni.  The only holy terror in that tank was the zebra hermit.  I didn't feed that tank and had the pom pom a bit over a year.  Once the zebra hermit got banished to solitary confinement, the pom pom actually came out once in a while, looking adorable.

I'm trying out some Hikari crab pellets but have only offered Shelby one so far lol.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Here are some quick cellphone pics of the new frag. Cherry Corals calls it an orange rainbow goniopora.

33254718891_61686bab44_b.jpg

The polyps are very little compared to the other two gonis. I wonder if they'll be compatible with one another. My hope is to have a little goniopora garden on this frag rack.

32568231853_e4cb1b9b06_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!