Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!

natalia_la_loca

1 minute ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Salifert.

Well, they're good quality, so it's less likely that you got a wrong result. 

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

The LPS were already starting to improve, but I went ahead and did a 60% water change. Too early to say whether it helped, but it definitely didn't hurt. Within 15 minutes, all corals were back to where they'd been before the water change. Only one acan is still closed...fortunately not the expensive one B) The other LPS are not at 100% but are getting puffy again, and one acan has its feeders out.

• Like 3

Happy Birthday Reefbowl!  

Don't you normally do water changes on Fridays?  If so, that doesn't seem like enough time has passed since the last one for alk to be that out of whack. I'm betting the test was inaccurate.  A little birthday cake, I mean food will help everything and the water change will reset it.   

Can't wait to see what Year 2 brings!

• Like 1

Happy Birthday little reef bowl! Look at all the other bowls and jars that have come into existence since you started! #trendyreefs (LOL)

I hope things continue to improve. I always feel bad when an acan isn't at it's best. They're one of my favorite corals.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Yup, i did a 100% wc last Friday. I agree that it seems too soon after the water change, although I hesitate to say the test is inaccurate. Hopefully today's small feeding and WC will help.

1 hour ago, natalia_la_loca said:

The LPS were already starting to improve, but I went ahead and did a 60% water change. Too early to say whether it helped, but it definitely didn't hurt. Within 15 minutes, all corals were back to where they'd been before the water change. Only one acan is still closed...fortunately not the expensive one B) The other LPS are not at 100% but are getting puffy again, and one acan has its feeders out.

Excellent, so glad to hear this!!

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

All LPS were back to normal this morning, but today we had a power outage :unsure: 

however, as luck would have it, a new battery-powered air pump and some heat packs arrived today of all days. So I have the reefbowl wrapped in towels with the pump running and a heat pack next to the glass. Thus far the temp is holding up well. Hopefully the power will be back soon. 

Really glad the outage didn't happen during my business trip!

• Like 7
natalia_la_loca

I was prepared, if not a moment too soon! If power doesn't return by morning, I'll probably move the reefbowl to my brother's place as he has power back on. Another advantage of picos...they're portable :) 

• Like 7

One nice detail too is that lack of motion isn't particularly impactful to a reefbowl in this state, we use low to no fish in them, we don't store up waste by practice (which xlates into less excess bacterial substrate/biological oxygen command for precious O2 in the water)

and I've ran my air at a trickle rate practically same as none but I was gone for eight days to nyc

Water changes with heated water if gas stove was avail also nice optn

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca
25 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Glad you have supplies and time to look out for it, power outages are stressful! Has it been off since this morning?

They are indeed. Could be worse, though...the outside temperature isn't too bad. The power went out this afternoon, probably an hour or two before I got home from work.

• Like 1

Happy birthday to the reef bowl, and I hope the power comes back on soon! :scarry:

Although I'd think as long as it doesn't get super cold, a day without heat shouldn't be a big deal, we ship corals for 24-48 hours with no heat other than a heat pack to keep them from freezing with no long-term ill effects.

• Like 3

I was just wondering about how to weather a power outage since we seem to have more of them over here. Glad to hear you were prepared! What kind of battery powered pump did you get?

• Like 1

Glad you were prepared!  I was having thoughts as the wind was wipping today that I need to get some battery powered air pumps on hand. 

On on a side not I got my hands on some amazing pieces from Cherry Corals from a live sale last weekend. Man do they have nice stuff! 

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Power is back on :happydance:

Rain, the pump is Marina. I got it on Amazon. The build quality seems better than the penn-plax battery-powered pump I used to have. Used it once or twice and it stopped working.

zoohed, can't wait to see what you got from Cherry corals!

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Rain, the pump is Marina. I got it on Amazon. The build quality seems better than the penn-plax battery-powered pump I used to have. Used it once or twice and it stopped working.

I'll get some pics eventually. I got a little carried away and 22 frags later....

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca
3 minutes ago, zoohed said:

I'll get some pics eventually. I got a little carried away and 22 frags later....

:bling:

• Like 1

I watched part of that live sale, they do have some nice stuff!  I refused to let myself get anything since I've bought so much lately lol.  Glad the power is back on, I've had a battery operated pump on my list to get so I'll definitely be looking that brand up.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Reefbowl Groupie Cheer, HoooRAAAAAAY!!!!!

• Like 5
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!