ReefCleaners.org

Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

Still looking great! Which foods do you feed?

Rods Food Coral Blend

Reef Roids

Fauna Marín Ultra Ricordea & Zoanthus + Ultra Min D

A couple drops of Phyto Feast

Rods Food Coral Blend

Reef Roids

Fauna Marín Ultra Ricordea & Zoanthus + Ultra Min D

A couple drops of Phyto Feast

Your combo definitely seems to be working! Do you do roughly 1:1:1:1, or more of some than others?

natalia_la_loca

Your combo definitely seems to be working! Do you do roughly 1:1:1:1, or more of some than others?

It's roughly equal parts except the Phyto Feast.

natalia_la_loca

New year, new coral: I picked up this Red Planet acro at the LFS. That line across the picture is the reflection of the edge of the reefbowl.

31614204930_c6b4e0733a_z_d.jpg

So far, the acro is doing great, as is the goniopora. Hopefully reefbowl life will agree with them.

Yesterday the afternoon sun shone into the reefbowl, creating a nice contrast with the blue of the LED.

31147822074_472ea9128b_z_d.jpg

31950787506_78ce887f25_z_d.jpg

31950791736_0d05946c6b_z_d.jpg

• Like 9
natalia_la_loca

i want a redplanet again ! =( i gave up on sps a long time ago though.

Having this Red Planet makes me wonder why I didn't get one sooner. I just wish they looked as nice from the side as they do from above.

natalia_la_loca

The tank is looking great, I took your idea on using a clear hose for a gasket for the lid on my pico jar. Works great

Thanks

Awesome, I'm glad it worked for you too :)

That acro is just so dreamy ❤️ i'll wait a couple more months I guess before adding my first sps in the jar lol. When did you add your first sps btw?

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

That acro is just so dreamy ❤️ i'll wait a couple more months I guess before adding my first sps in the jar lol. When did you add your first sps btw?

Isn't it though? :wub: I think you could add SPS sooner. I added my first SPS about 1.5 months after setting up the reefbowl.

• Like 1

Isn't it though? :wub: I think you could add SPS sooner. I added my first SPS about 1.5 months after setting up the reefbowl.

I'll add a few weeks from now, hopefully a digitata will be available, Im digging that red digitata of yours ;)

Most sps for sale here are acros, millis, pocci and bird's nest. How big is your frogspawn now? I recently got rid of my orange acan and elegane so there is a huge amount of space available lol. Im thinking of a small hammer in the very corner of my reef jar, I miss those fleshy LPS polyps :wub:

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

How big is your frogspawn now? I recently got rid of my orange acan and elegane so there is a huge amount of space available lol. Im thinking of a small hammer in the very corner of my reef jar, I miss those fleshy LPS polyps :wub:

Mine is still pretty small, fortunately, although the number of heads has doubled. A small hammer would probably do very well in your jar.

• Like 1

Ow

Mine is still pretty small, fortunately, although the number of heads has doubled. A small hammer would probably do very well in your jar.

Im gonna find a nice small hammer or frogspawn soon. Plus some digitata :D

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Hey everybody, the reefbowl is 10 months old :happydance:

To celebrate, here are some nighttime shots.

32109354285_4f29c34737_z_d.jpg

31299161003_9c68f9baf2_z_d.jpg

The Red Planet acro seems very happy in its new location in the rockscape.

31960946032_06eeda14bc_z_d.jpg

The other bit of news is that I've cut more frags of the bubblegum digitata (I've also seen it referred to as a wildfire digitata) to prevent it encroaching on the rastas. I'm going to trade them back in to Cherry Corals in exchange for coral (I'm thinking of rehoming the Mountain Dew chalice and replacing it with one more killer acan). Here they are. The one in front was an accident, I actually found it on the gravel during the most recent water change. It'll grow.

31960965882_509e0e2a54_z_d.jpg

• Like 9
natalia_la_loca

Gorgeous bowls, all three of them!

I'm sure you've answered the question a few times, but where did you get the shrimp from? Petshrimp?

Thanks :) I did get them from Petshrimp.com. As far as I know, they are the only company that offers captive-bred opae'ula shrimp. Because wild opae'ula are subject to illegal harvest and habitat loss, captive bred is definitely the way to go (and still affordable).

• Like 2
Partially Submerged

Thanks :) I did get them from Petshrimp.com. As far as I know, they are the only company that offers captive-bred opae'ula shrimp. Because wild opae'ula are subject to illegal harvest and habitat loss, captive bred is definitely the way to go (and still affordable).

Awesome, thanks! Time for another desktop aquarium. I'll make sure to order from Petshrimp as well.

• Like 1

This is 110% making me want to get them for my desk at work. :blush:

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

This is 110% making me want to get them for my desk at work. :blush:

Do it! They are literally maintenance-free. The breeder actually strongly advises that you NOT use filters, circulation, heaters, or bubblers of any kind. And if the water starts out clean and is properly cycled before adding shrimp, there is no need for water changes either. All they need is a light source to grow the biofilms they feed on. As a reefer, your biggest problem may be the temptation to do maintenance ;)

• Like 1
  • natalia_la_loca changed the title to Natalia’s reefbowl: 8 years old!