inTank Media Baskets

Work tank - Now simply a FOWLR

Sunstar

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like that tank will be home to more fish in the near future. You might be able to improve their lives by continuing to help your co-workers to see the fish and coral as "real" animals worthy of proper care, and by gently educating your boss(es) about their legal responsibility for these animals. Call the Ontario SPCA for help at 310-SPCA(7722) or 1-888-668-7722 ext. 327. They don't have fish-specific information on their website, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

The owner of the tanks does not really seem to care. I think he sees them like a vase or a plate, easily replaced if broken. I cannot comprehend that attitude toward pets because they are living beings.

The staff are still asking me if I know what happened. And I state - They did this treatment without any prep and it resulted in a mass die off of flatworms that made the water too toxic for life. blah blah blah - we know the story.

If he sees it as a vase, then tell him his vase is ####### ugly with a bunch of nasty worms and dying fish in it and he should do it right so the tank isn't an embarrassment.

It sounds like that tank will be home to more fish in the near future. You might be able to improve their lives by continuing to help your co-workers to see the fish and coral as "real" animals worthy of proper care, and by gently educating your boss(es) about their legal responsibility for these animals. Call the Ontario SPCA for help at 310-SPCA(7722) or 1-888-668-7722 ext. 327. They don't have fish-specific information on their website, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

the SPCA doesn't mess around either. I wonder if there is a pita organization there. They would probably picket in front of your work.

the SPCA doesn't mess around either. I wonder if there is a pita organization there. They would probably picket in front of your work.

I might add some FWE in a week of my own to try to wipe out the remainder, before fish go in. We apparently used to have osmeone do a good job of it but he died this past summer of a heart attack while wating to get a prescription at the pharmacy.

Omg that's horrible. Poor man. The fish tank is lucky to have you watching over it.

I wish I could do just a little more than just watch over it... :/

I have suggested it multiple times.

Here is one of the inmates that is recovering in my tank. She got damaged when I broke the host rock apart trying to get a fragment she was on. I QT'd her until hte host rock was released, ditched the rock, QT'd her in a different tank, in an egg cup, and she will remain in it until I get her over to a frag tank, with my DIY light in.

She appears to have healed well, I double dosed Iodide and I will be now feeding her. They respond well to love <3

20160226_141809.jpg

The clown survived the crash. I saw a big diatom bloom, so we shall see. my heart hurts looking at it.

Good to hear. Every time I see your thread title I always get mad :angry:

• 1 month later...

:( I wanna throat punch your boss. If they flatworm exit again and kill stuff again... :(:furious:

Its probably gonna happen. I am going to presume to him its just an ornament not something htat deserves respect. I told him the flatworms are back then he said its just cyano.... its not just cyano.

Oh, I can tell they have flatworms, they are sitting there being flatworms on glass, rocks and sand. All flatworm like. its flatworms and they are starting to park out on the cyano like before. its a hopeless mess. Give the tank two months, maybe three and it will be as dreadful as before. Also the devils hand coral and BTA's have gone into extinction in that tank. I said if they could get hte tank pulled around I would return the corals after fragging them for myself, but know what, No. its not happening. I am not going to allow these beautiful fully recovered specimens near that disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a disaster from not maintaining the tank properly.

Flatworm exit is supposed to be safe but if there is an infestation of flatworms, if they aren't syphoned out, carbon is not changed, and a water change not performed, the toxins the flatworms release can cause death.

They should have taken charge of the flatworm problem before it became an infestation

The web like covering could be cyanobacteria, what colour is it?

They need to find a better "person" because you are bang on-the current person hasn't been doing the job right. Even if the budget wasn't there, properly cleaning the tank during waterchanges could have prevented these issues.

I feel bad for the livestock and I feel bad for you because no one listened to your concerns and they were beyond warranted.

Its cyano for sure. deep red. But the flats are back, I am being ignored again. If I knew the volume of the tank, I would have dosed it three times after the nuking myself. I give it 3 months and it'll be back to square one.

Archived