Cultivated Reef

Work tank - Now simply a FOWLR

Sunstar

the frags are in a quarantine tank, were dipped in revive/furan-2 and then a dip in flatworm exit, then a dip in clean, then into the QT with some FE and now running carbon. Should have seeen the flatworms I got off the frags.

I had to go out and buy a small air driven filter for my QT.

those frags I am quarantining before they go anywhere near my tanks. Its not the best, but I have a coralife CP florescent bulb on for corals. It smelled a little "fishy" when I got home, but that is due to inadequate filtration - now been rectified. I have put in rock from my mantis tank. Just making new water for the tanks, in a few minutes. I may drop in a small filter sock with tiny amount of chemipure and a sponge from my 10 gallon. Its time I got a fresh one in there anyway.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so so so very upset about that tank. I want to know if my local reefing buddies know who this totally inept women is who has no care or concern for the well being of fish life that she would even attempt that particular treatment without first A: reducing infestation, or B: removing all livestock.

As far as I am concerned the only thing she really loves is the money lining her pocket. I'd have attempted reducing the population for free: Why, because I respect animal life and I feel all animals should be given respect and care. they are more than merely ornaments to decroate a waiting area. they are living beings. ALL life is precious. If people cannot respect the lives of animals they really......they have no idea how angry I am. Could I contact the SPCA or canadian equivalent?

All the staff came ot me asking what happened to the tank.

She dosed flatworm exit into the water when there were hundreds of thousands of flatworms in it. I never got a FTS

IMG_20151107_153703.jpg

Yeah. I would like to see a pic of the tank too. Is the person taking care of the tank a pro or a hobbyist?

I have no idea. As far as I am concerned she is hardly a pro and probably barely a hobbyist....

:( so are we assuming the worst, the toxins killed everything?

I can't imagine there was enough FWE used, you usually have to put in 4X the amount stated on the package

The yellow tang? was dying when I got there, the wrasse that resembled darth maul was pretty much dead. the only fish I saw left were the two eels and some other fish that scooted away, the rhodactis is spilling its guts out, the nems are looking stressed to hell... the flatworms are few and far between.

I know I use about 4X the amount, but I am:

A: on hand that day

B: have full water change to do the tank at least 100%

C Run carbon in 1 hour - 2 hours

D: have net handy to remove anyone suffering to a clean water supply

I've treated a bad infestation twice. I consider myself high health now and am very careful.

Because I love the lives that are in my care.

I don't think he'll fire her.

Whoever she is I can pretty much say she only sees them as fish, not as creatures who have a right to live in conditions that htey should be living in... or am I overly sympathetic to animal-kind?

Every life is sacred. it is our duty that we owe to them to provide a healthy and safe environment when we remove them from their natural habitat for our own amusement. I think they really should just fire her. She has no idea what she is doing and she's apparently doing more harm than good.

I don't think he'll fire her.

Whoever she is I can pretty much say she only sees them as fish, not as creatures who have a right to live in conditions that htey should be living in... or am I overly sympathetic to animal-kind?

I don't think overly sympathetic is the case here, just mis-aligned goals and opportunities.

I'm not sure what kind of business this is but it sounds like the owner doesn't really care for it that much. Maybe use this as an opportunity to suggest something else other than an aquarium?

Or just send the manager/owner/decision maker and tell them flat out that the person who is supposedly "maintaining" the tank f*#king nuked it if you think that will help.

I don't think overly sympathetic is the case here, just mis-aligned goals and opportunities.

I'm not sure what kind of business this is but it sounds like the owner doesn't really care for it that much. Maybe use this as an opportunity to suggest something else other than an aquarium?

Or just send the manager/owner/decision maker and tell them flat out that the person who is supposedly "maintaining" the tank f*#king nuked it if you think that will help.

I told him to his face, and I also told another manager I am in good order with as well precisely what I think of the woman. I understand with an aquarium sometimes shit happens - I had a fish get munched within 3 hours of it going in the tank, possibly the fish was on its way out... all in all, shit happens. But this was preventable. A few buckets of water with fish in it. huge rubber maid tub, if one was available, heater, airstone, live rock... would have been sufficent to protect the fish while they "bombed" the tank. they did allow me to go in to get corals. I had NO idea they were going to nuke the damn thing with fish as well... I am enraged.

The frags I got, I lost one. I think that one might have been a tiny anemone that got stuck between rocks and that was too much for it. the other frags + anemone are doing very well.

The anemone let go of the host rock and I threw that thing out. I dipped her and put her in with the gorilla crab as that tank has better parameters than the QT tank. She was damaged on her foot and I was concerned about her well being in the QT - since it does n ot have much in the way of live rock. Thus far, she seems to be doing very well.

Other frags are lashed down to plugs, shells or other small items so they can grab and heal. I will transfer the slimy things to a tank shortly. I will be dipping them again. the only thing I won't move is teh GSP because it is questionable. I will treat the QT with FWE in a few days.

How i am doing my water changes is: Fresh salt water -> Reef tank -> Mantis tank -> QT tank - Dumped. I figured cycling it along won't be harmful. the water conditions in the mantis and reef tank are pretty good - possibly too good.

the mushroom, which could be a yuma, has fat "bounce-like" bubbles on it. Kinda pretty. but that yuma also has this hot pink... I am eager to see it in good conditions and growing. It is far too pretty to be in an unloved tank.

the anemone in an egg cup.... She is scrunched as I coaxed her in just a while ago. the rest at work were looking okay until that FWE bomb.

IMG_20160215_183108.jpg

the corals I have, I am going to keep some. If they reproduce I might bring some back, depends IF they got their tank running good. Otherwise, they are staying put. not sending them back if all they do is kill them off with moronic moves.

Good call. Can't believe how blatantly irresponsible they are, especially one of their own employees offered help and they refused.

Btw I've been trying to cycle saltwater too. Do you do all your preparations (like scrubbing, cleaning glass, replacing filter floss...) in all tanks before you do the water cycling? I noticed if I let the water sit while I do other chores the water will cool down....

the corals I have, I am going to keep some. If they reproduce I might bring some back, depends IF they got their tank running good. Otherwise, they are staying put. not sending them back if all they do is kill them off with moronic moves.

Good call. Can't believe how blatantly irresponsible they are, especially one of their own employees offered help and they refused.

Btw I've been trying to cycle saltwater too. Do you do all your preparations (like scrubbing, cleaning glass, replacing filter floss...) in all tanks before you do the water cycling? I noticed if I let the water sit while I do other chores the water will cool down....

I scrub usually on the sunday (which todays WC was actually suppossed to be) I do the floss in the middle of hte week during a smaller change. I typically do it just before I take the water out. I don't find the cooling to be overly significant. Not enough to shock the tank. If I did my WC last night,, yeah that would have been hell as my RODI was short of coming throught he lines as ice.

typically, I can do a WC in under 15 minutes. with floss change, skimmer stone change, or if I am taking the water from the sump portion of my AIO (usually to remove detritus), that is usually heavy in dirt - so it is dumped.

So, I do a tank, refill, then move onto the next, refill, then move on.

So aftermath.

there are still some flatworms. I can see htem

Cyano bacteria is visible - no longer coated in flatworm shingles.

Anemones that survived are super bleached.

There are reminants of the corals I took - they might survive

No fish survived as far as I can tell.

It is so sad.

fishfreak0114

I can't believe they would let that happen. Some people just don't respect living things like thy should :(. If I were you I'd go find the lady who bombed the tank and throat punch her. Maybe then she'll feel remorse lol

The owner of the tanks does not really seem to care. I think he sees them like a vase or a plate, easily replaced if broken. I cannot comprehend that attitude toward pets because they are living beings.

The staff are still asking me if I know what happened. And I state - They did this treatment without any prep and it resulted in a mass die off of flatworms that made the water too toxic for life. blah blah blah - we know the story.

Archived