Pod Your Reef

The MiniBow 5 Project (Pics)

samwoo2go

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok bad news, the little FireFish was pronounced dead at 3:50PM Pacific standard time. The little guy finally gave up his final battle with the murderer (a.k.a Fire Shrimp). I would like to just read a poem I wrote for him...

F orever you'll be remembered

I and you's happy memories

R iping pain in my heart

E nding your life so young

F irefish, firefish

I will never forget

S ob fireshrimp

H omicide at last.

9197rip.jpg

Memorial Service and Burial Ceremony will be held at my bathroom at 4:15PM. Feel free to express your condolence on this thread for the little guy.

Firefish, you will be missed, may you reincarnate into a LionFish...

Thank you everybody.

:*( I'm sorry your little guy died, dude! I want one really bad in my tank once it gets setup. My problem is that I'm going open top. Oh, and about your brain. I had a Long tentacle LPS plate coral a long time ago. He would puff up like that. He did fine though... Don't know what to tell ya. Nice job on the tank. I like the way you have the structures setup.

Connor

ok now Im officially pissed off. The FireShrimp just killed my Cleaner shrimp. now he can truly claim this tank as his. He is the only Invert/fish in this tank now. I think I have the devil's advocate. Anyways, any ideas on tankmates for this agressive little fella?

Invert or fish?

Would it be better if I catch him and put him some where else for now for a while until all other inhabitants are settled in and then put him back in? (he will be really easy to catch since he is so greedy and aggressive, he literally swims into my hand and try to "kill" me)

Thanks

OK I think Im going to ask the LFS if its possible to take the fireshrimp back and exchange it for a smaller one, and I'll add him in last. Im also thinking about adding a pair of small true perc clowns, but since I don't have an anemone, Im worried that they migh try to make a host out of the brain and kill it.

Anyone had coral killing clowns?

Also, another 2 fish combo I was thinking about is a cardinal, and a royal gramma.

What do you guys think?

Ok LFS won't do it. :( I'll just take him out and add him last, and hope for the best.

Anyways got some new corals... :woot: :woot: I got a 2 head frogspawn frag, a small green finger leather frag, and some candy cane frags, I'll post pics when my roommate comes back with his camera.

haha thanks crazy, but I think I inspired you more than anyone, you are actually a regular lately... pretty cool.

when you start your tank, feel free to ask me anything, by no means I proclaim myself an expert at nano-reefing, but i have noticed a lot of differences between bigger and smaller tanks.

Again thanks for stopping by.

ok haven't been around for a while, my internet got shut down for a week cuz i didn't pay the bills.

Anyways I got some updated pics for everybody, and I just got to wait till my roomate comes back from vacation with his camera.

BE PATIENT... ;)

as for your brain bloating up lie that it is normal. It does that to try to catch food, next time it does it put some mysis shrip or something meaty like that by the sweeper tenticlesand im sure it will take it in. In other words its hungry.

ok now it looks all shriveled up and not too healthy (2 days) I wonder if the Xenia next to it is stinging it, or theres chemical warfare going on since the recent addition of the FrogSpawn.

Any ideas? Thanks

yeah I throw a bag in about 2-3 days ago. looks about the same.

Now that i think about it, I just added a green tree leather also. I heard that leathers are notoriously for releasing nasty chemicals, and its only about 3" away from the brain. Could it be the leather? But theres also shrooms, zoos and candycanes within 3" radius of the leather and they look fantastic. Its only the brain.

If the brain doesn't get better in 2 more days, Im going to take out the leather and see if the brain recovers.

Im also thinking about running chemi-pure 24/7 from now on. How do they differ from carbon besides amount of time they remain active?

Thanks

I just bought a mini bow 5 with the same light setup and I was wondering if you got your light/heat/melting hood issue resolved?

What did you do to fix it if you did?

FrogSpawn Close up

9197fs.jpg

Tmerrick: I never got around to the light heat issue, because the hood never fully melted, it just started sagging in the middle a little bit, and now it stoped. plus now the heat wave in CA is over the temp in my house rarely goes over 80F so, I think Im ok now until the summer hits again.

• 3 weeks later...
ImAnanoReefer

hey,

I'm starting up a minibow five to chill next to my .75 gallon pico. I really want a fish instead of just tiny inverts. Anyways, I love your tank and was wondering what kind of filtration you ended up with and how you used hte baffle to slow down the flow. Can i get a description with pics?

Thanks,

Phil

Archived