ReefCleaners.org

The MiniBow 5 Project (Pics)

samwoo2go

I didn't get it yet, but they sell a 1.5" one for $12 at RadioShack, (kindda expensive) but Im pretty sure they sell it at local Hardware stores for cheaper.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok the penguin 125 came in today and it didn't fit next to the AQ200. So now I think Im just gunna buy a AQ300 and swap the impeller with the 200 and run it at min flow the AQ allows. This will be used as a refugium.

Will this be too much flow?

For the refugium, Im not gunna use any sand, just LR and Chaeto, would I still need the baffle?

Should I leave the basket in?

Just in case, does anyone know the Demension of the baffle for an AQ300? Can I just use part of the Basket (how)?

Thanks

HI samwoo2go,

I also have a mini bow 5 with an AC300. I would install the baffle. You will want a minimum flow for the refugium critters to multiply and be happy. I would remove the basket. You will want to use a solid piece of plastic for the baffle to reduce water flow. Almost anything will work; CD case lid, 'glass' (plexi) from a cheap picture frame, etc. I can measure my baffle when I get home, I have cut it, but not installed it yet.

Keep us posted on the fan issue,

Lakedawgs

so the water is suppose to flow OVER the baffle right? Can you post some pics of what you have done (how far from the PH side should the Baffle go, and do I seal the sides and the bottom)?

Thanks.

Ideally you would want the baffle to be just a little shorter the the height of the filter overflow going back into the tank. This would allow water into the fuge from the impeller side and facilitate flow back to the tank. If you like you can make your baffle butt up to the edge dividing the pump and the open (fuge) part of the filter. I am going to install my baffle more toward the center so I can cram my heater next to the pump impeller. I have only cut my baffle, I have not installed it. I am just going to use silacone as it will be removable in the future. Silacone does not bind acrylic well, but it wont take much to hold the baffle in place. Cut the baffle so it is slightly snug and run a bead of silacone on the sides and bottom.

Put about an inch or so of sand if you like, a couple of small rocks and some macro algea, instant fuge.

Travis Here you go.

I throw in a little mushroom (that I got as a HitchHacker) to test the temperment of the Camel Shrimp, and so far he hasn't touched it in 24hrs. lets hope for the best.

9197Full.jpg

lake, how much shorter is "a little shorter" (in inches please)? and I only need to leave enough space between the "fuge" and Impeller to fit a heater right?

Thanks

Is anyone else having a problem with their shrimps punking on their firefish?

I ask this because everytime food (flakes) is offered to the tank, the Firefish would try to eat but will get chased away by the fire shrimp right away and goes into hiding until all the food is gone, and he comes out.

im also dosing PhytoPlex to the tank, will the FireFish get enough food from the PhytoPlex or I need to get something bigger like ZooPlex?

With LPS and softies (Gonna) be in the tank is it better to dose PhythoPlex or ZooPlex or Marine Snow?

Thanks

For the baffle in the fuge, mine is about 1/2" shorter than the overflow back into the tank. This will let the water flow from the impeller side to the fuge side without to much turbulence.

I am going to install my baffle just a hair off center toward the impeller side. You will notice a small dent in the bottom of the AC300 caused by casting the acrylic, my baffle will be just on the edge of that. If you are going to install a heater in the AC300, thats how I am doing it. Otherwise, just install the baffle right next to the impeller housing. I am going to install my baffle in the next day or two, I will take some pics for you if you like.

lakedawgs

THANKS LAKE :D

About the camel, yeah I know Im taking a huge risk, but I put a tester mushroom in there 2 days ago and so far he is being an ANGEL. (maybe I got the "good batch" haha ).

9197angel1-med.JPG

But I will keep an eye on it, and if he turns EVIL...

9197evil1-med.JPG

I will pull him out...

Any idea how I can catch a Camel in a MiniBow 5 w/o destroying aquascape? I was thinking a HomeMade Trap from a regular water bottle instead of a 2liter... Any other ideas?

Thanks

ok....but the question is how can I catch him?!?!

ok back from a weekend vacation with some goodies... :woot:

I got a rock with Reddish Purple with Blue PokaDot Mushrooms (8 large polyps, 11 baby polyps, and 1 dying one at the bottom.)... $15 Big Bones (there goes this weeks food money)

9197RShroom.jpg

I also got a Red/Green Morph Open Brain... $20 Big Bones (there goes my rent this month lol).

9197brain.jpg

here is the updated whole tank shot.

9197tankUD.jpg

ok just got started to make the auto top off for the 40G, MB5, and the 2.5G. Heres what I did so far...

STEP 1 - Supplies needed.

9197fs1.jpg

STEP 2 - thread the wires and a long metal coat hanger wire through a standard soft airline tubing.

9197fs2-med.jpg

STEP 3 - cut the smaller prong wire only.

9197fs3.jpg

STEP 4 - connect each of the float switch's wires to the two cut wires.

9197fs4.jpg

STEP 5 - Bent the metal Coat hanger wire at 2 90 degrees angle at approx 1.5" to 2" apart.

silicone the Float Switch to the airline tubing.

Goop (stronger hold) the airline holding suction cup to the airline tubing.

9197fs5.jpg

If enough order comes through, I could make more of these for sell.

Just the float switch with the 6' extension cord hooked up will be $20 plus shipping.

The auto top-off package including a MaxiJet 1200 (300GPH), 5 feet of return hose, and a 5G container will be $50 plus shipping.

Drop me a PM if interested.

Has anybody ever kept a Camel Shrimp in a reef tank long term w/o it eating any corals? (by long term i mean at least 4 months)

Any new ideas on how to trap a Camel Shrimp (he is really really really fast and really shy too) in a small tank? (however he hasn't touched the mushrooms and the brain yet)

I tried the inverted bottle, and the net in water for long time trick already.

No luck.

Thanks.

Actually I have a question, is it normal, healthy, or signs of stress for open brains to puff up really huge?

Here is what it looked like right when I got him.

9197brain.jpg

Here is what it looks like right now.

9197Puff_Brain.jpg

He deflates at night after the lights go out.

ok update, some befor and after pics of the corals.

here is the mushrooms before.

9197RShroom.jpg

here is now... :) (you can actually see the blue dots now)

9197shroom.jpg

Here is the brain before...

9197brain.jpg

here is now... (sometimes it bloats up to the shape of a ball)

9197brain2.jpg

ok just got some free frags donatons from Skeletor.

Here are some pics.

This is the pulsing Xenia Frag (3 stalks)

9197Xenia.jpg?4217

This is the 2 Zoos frags (Red skirt/Yellow center, Green skirt/orange,red center)

9197zoos.jpg

Here is my Random Frag Rock (where I superglued all the tiny little frags... there are 2 rics, 4 various small Mushshrooms, and 1 bigger green Mushroom that use to be the size of the small ones 3 weeks ago :) )

9197random_frag.jpg

Finally Here is the whole tank... Thanks again Skeletor!!! :)

9197MB5_Zoo.jpg

Archived