Cultivated Reef

MarquiseO's Shallow 36"x24"x16" Reef Tank

ReviloM

Growth Shots

-The first images of each coral were taken on 03.05.16 and second images on 03.12.16 (7 days). Only changes in the time frame were addition of (2) 30" Reef Brite XHO.

25434308210_f96ebd3e22_c.jpg25104608414_f83ee2a42f_c.jpg

25639971681_07d3baab22_c.jpg25639969971_15fa7bf8f4_c.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome build. Lots of good pics too

Thanks!

Ordered my new macro lens. I ordered the Canon 60mm Macro lens only because I am starting to like top downs more and the distance from the corals to the top of the tank is very minimal. I will, however, get the 90mm Tamron lens later on this year because it has a shorter focus distance than the Canon 100mm.

rickztahone

Thanks!

Ordered my new macro lens. I ordered the Canon 60mm Macro lens only because I am starting to like top downs more and the distance from the corals to the top of the tank is very minimal. I will, however, get the 90mm Tamron lens later on this year because it has a shorter focus distance than the Canon 100mm.

The Tam90 is my go to macro lens with extension tubes as well as my on the fly portrait lens which a 60mm doesn't serve me too well for. However, I have shot with a Sigma 60 and the thing was insane sharp!

UPDATE:

- I ordered some Berghia Nudis to combat my Aiptasia issue. I sorta let it get out of hand and could have stopped it from the beginning. I ordered 5; placed 2 in the display and the other 3 in a breeding container. So far in the display two Aiptasia have disappear that I know of.

- I am thinking of purchasing the Neptune WAV starter kit. This is due to the fact that cyano is starting to grow above my single Maxspect Gyre 130. It is nowhere else in the tank but directly above the pump. Also, I think I need to create an alternating current in the tank to eliminate a dead spot in one location of the tank.

-My bounce mushroom bubbles have deflated since I switched to T5s or because I upped my flow; I am not sure which change did it.

Here are some pics taken under the (2) 30" Reef Brite XHOs only:

25293364303_8ae1b4b990_c.jpg

25621489980_c827000425_c.jpg

25896157896_aa2f50527a_c.jpg

25293339183_9651bf2e4e_c.jpg

25827093451_82925aa0db_c.jpg

25621457210_1ca4566218_c.jpg

25922025905_a16ea9b29b_c.jpg

And for something different and not normally photographed by reefers, here are some pests:

Aiptasia

25593151710_4cdd0831fe_c.jpg

Spaghetti Worm

25261002374_b6181f5118_c.jpg

25772955182_80079f9ee2_c.jpg

I think I just stumbled upon something big.........I think I found out how to manipulate the colors in corals and get immediate results. I'm not 100% sure how long it will last and what all colors I can make appear and will have to test it more to be certain. No it is not a dye. I can't say at this moment what I am doing to do what you see below. Below is an image of my WWC Oil Spill Chalice. If you have seen the chalice, you know that it doesn't have any green colorations in it.

An image I took of it recently:

25052081015_6e21e97d0a_c.jpg

An image after I just took after I "did what I did":

25456740403_6656787fb4_c.jpg

Note: This is not photo trickery. I have no problem lending out the RAW file.

Here is another coral:

When I first got this chalice not to long ago:

23365809819_8e5161318f_c.jpg

Just a few mins ago after "doing what I did":

25457062233_213e4273bd_c.jpg

Here is another coral:
When I first got this chalice not to long ago:
23365809819_8e5161318f_c.jpg
Just a few mins ago after "doing what I did":
25457062233_213e4273bd_c.jpg

This is sorcery your a wizard.

This is sorcery your a wizard.

Not sorcery; it's science. Experimentation at its greatest. I can only make green/green-bluish appear, for now.

Have a BTA you feel like testing this trick on? :)

Very interesting.

I am not sure if it will work on invertebrates. I tested my blastos and it gave a negative reaction. I may have to change up the method for larger fleshy skin corals. And so far, I can only make green, bluish-green, and a little yellow appear. I will update on this in about a week to see how long it lasts.

That's some great extra pop. Whatever ya did worked.

The two corals I posted are the only ones I tried it on. The other corals are just naturally colorful. The main focus is the addition of the coloration that was never there or shown previously in that particular coral.

Here is what I have been thinking about as the side effects:

-Possible sellers will manipulate coloration from a basic brown coral and hike prices on it even if the effect is temporary.

-If the effect is temporary, a lot of hobbyist will be hoodwinked believing they will be receiving a rainbow coral but it reverts back to all brown when it arrives in the mail.

- The value of all rainbow corals will drop tremendously. So if you spent $1000 on a chalice, it may be only worth $50 after being able to manipulate whatever color you want in a chalice.

Look into it and see if you can get a utility patent on it potentially, then license the process to coral name brands etc if it's not just a short term effect. If it's a long term change it could be worth getting the UP possibly. Or, you can just release it and the super high priced named market will crash and hobbyists everywhere will love you lol.

Look into it and see if you can get a utility patent on it potentially, then license the process to coral name brands etc if it's not just a short term effect. If it's a long term change it could be worth getting the UP possibly. Or, you can just release it and the super high priced named market will crash and hobbyists everywhere will love you lol.

That is an option but I am only experimenting for the love of science and not for cash. I think a lot of hobbyist have strayed away from the discovery factor of reef keeping and are now setting up shop to make profit.

That is an option but I am only experimenting for the love of science and not for cash. I think a lot of hobbyist have strayed away from the discovery factor of reef keeping and are now setting up shop to make profit.

Thus the or scenario haha. Personally I hate the $1000+ price tags, it's a hobby. There's a very interesting discussion on RC going on about how awful coral pricing has gotten. I agree with you, I wouldn't want to mix it with business either, IDK how people get into the idea of being a chop shop or a LFS owner.

Thus the or scenario haha. Personally I hate the $1000+ price tags, it's a hobby. There's a very interesting discussion on RC going on about how awful coral pricing has gotten. I agree with you, I wouldn't want to mix it with business either, IDK how people get into the idea of being a chop shop or a LFS owner.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Update on the color change in the chalices:

The original coloration of the chalices returned. The area where the green coloration appeared died away and regrew back to the original color. I did not take pics due this being an extremely busy week for me but I will do it once more and properly document it with images next week.

Archived