Cultivated Reef

Newstead's SCA 75 - new pics

Newstead

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rock, sand, water ... and the relaxing sound of a storm drain in our den. So the fine tuning begins!

The rockscape after 25 tries ... meh, but it is in. 25i65vk.jpg.

That was really cool that the LFS guys helped you. Holes and glass and water oh my. I can't even picture it.

I responded to an older post and ended up here lol. Oh and I really like your rock scape!!!?

Thanks, Hammer ... though I don't like the rocks in the left. Going to try to make them look less like 2 rocks thrown in.

Tentatively closing the gate valves .1 inch at a time and the noise is already barely noticeable. Having never had a sump we are both holding our breath we don't cause a flood.

I couldn't sleep the first time I added a sump. It was a HOB overflow too so double trouble.

Luckily everything worked out.

Good to know ... hopefully we will be able to sleep. Still in den with cabinet doors open ;-) ... like it is going to blow.

I got out of bed every hour on the hour to check with a flashlight. :lol:

We made it almost 2 hours between checks! Took turns ... and with a bit more adjustment to the main drain valve it is running scarily silent - I keep checking now to make sure everything is on. Hope this continues!

Now that the plumbing appears dialed in and cycling has begun, we can finally start thinking about stocking. We have gone through liveaquaria checking compatibility charts, browsed our LFS to see different fish in person, and come up with a tentative wish list. Wanted to see if we have missed any possible issues with this grouping:

2-3 cardinals (I prefer pajamas, my husband the banggai)

Midas Blenny (thanks to Stella's Bert pics!)

2 neon gobies

Our 2 paired O. Clowns

Wrasse? Or a Foxface? Or would that be asking for problems?

Hopefully in a year we will add a mandarin

2 cleaner shrimp

Tuxedo urchin

Nassarius and astrea snails

Congrats on the plumbing and you can always break one of those on the left side in half or something and then see what you come up with.

Good idea ... may have to break out the hammer tomorrow. Got 2 trimmings of red macros for you - coming up a week from Sunday for the Blue Ridge Orchestra concert (our son is bassist) - will pm you to see if that is a good time to drop them off!

• 1 month later...

Ummm .... not yet. After trying to use bottle openers as hangers,thought I might order bulbs first ;-). Got them on the BRS group buy and they should be here Wed. Firefish still in QT with prazipro for insurance, so maybe there will actually be something in there by Friday! And nitrates in the 75 are at 25, so want to do one more 35 gallon water change before moving the fish.

Your tank is already ahead of mine!

Well, the ammonia cycle took long, like 11 days, then the rest was pretty quick, nitrate was like 160, 80, 40, 40, 40, 20,10. That's how the days were pretty much. Hard to scape when you can't see!!! Murky everytime I move a few rocks, I can't see the angle, it's frustrating because I know I could probably do it in an hour if it wasn't constant fog. I'm doing a big water change tomorrow, ooh, just remembered, have to make some more water for the last bucket. I'm gonna do 16g of the 40.

Your nitrates dropped faster than mine! But I have reefsaver rock, live sand and a marinepure block in the sump so had to rely on Biospira and ghost feeding. Its getting there finally!

• 3 weeks later...

In accordance with the blazingly fast track this tank has been on, finally got the Nanobox Quad/quad hybrid hung today!

Love seeing it lit at last. Now to move the firefish from their QT - wish them luck!

..qsp185.jpg

..33xtwu9.jpg.

At this rate there will be corals in the tank in just five years or so.

And the first fish moved in from QT! NOW I am getting excited about this tank after 4 months of frustration.1198188.jpg

Archived