Coral Vue Hydros

Newstead's SCA 75 - new pics

Newstead

FlowerMama

England and France! Wow what a trip. Check out some castles everywhere! I would love to see pics of your trip here.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how are you liking the banggai cardinals? thinking about picking up a pair...

Omg do it! I love mine. I got one of the bonded captive bred pairs from DD.

I know you asked newstead but I couldn't help answering!

Sooooo, we are leaving in a couple of weeks for the 2 week driving tour of England and France. Son and family will be staying here to take care of everything. I normally do 15-20% water changes a week on both this and my biocube 29 since I feed heavily, but want to simplify the maintenance for them while we are gone.

Questions:

Will 2 weeks without a water change ruin anything?

Can I remove the filter sock while I am gone? The only thing I don't like about this setup is its a pain to get to the back to change the socks (I normally change them 2x week).

I feed 2x day - the biocube will have to be fed that often due to a mandarin, but am assuming that other than being peeved, the fish in the 75 will be fine with 1x day feeding (now the 2 firefish, 3 cardinals, 2 clowns) .

I target feed the acans and euphyllia in the tank 2x week - but they could go 2 weeks without target feeding, correct?

Any suggestions or tips?

So far, I love them. Good eaters, calm, get along with the firefish and clowns.

You should be fine without a water change for a couple weeks. I actually haven't done one on my 66 since June 13th and I only do one on my macro tank once every six weeks or so. Fish should be fine with once a day and yeah, the corals can go without target feeding. I am not sure about the filter socks - hopefully someone else can chime in!

FlowerMama

I get lazy on my water changes but these are all relatively new tanks and I don't feel I have corals that need all that calcium supplementation. You'll be fine. I regularly do like once a month.

• 4 weeks later...

Home again! Trip was fabulous, tho there were a few times it was "The Griswalds Drive Through Europe". Hint - European rental cars don't have spare tires. Don't ask how we know. Still dealing with a cloned debit card in England, but Tesco bank there is working with our bank, so all should be well soon. Flight home was cancelled due to engine trouble (glad they found it while we were still on runway!!!) So we got a free extra night in Paris ;-)

Everyone survived thanks to my wonderful son and daughter-in-law. Even Jimi, the target mandarin/dragonet, is still fat and happy in the 29 after disappearing for 5 days (they finally found him in a back chamber). Got home Thursday night, did 20% water change on each tank yesterday since it had ben 2.5 weeks.

So now it is time for more corals in the 75. Just have 3 acans, 5 euphyllia and 1 green nepthea. Need ideas for all the rockwork on the right. Prefer softies and LPS. This pic taken as lights were coming on, so corals aren't fully extended. If this was your tank, what would you do on the right???

..vhlbn.jpg.

My little acan garden last night

...4lk31f.jpg

I'd say you need an awesome chalice to come out on the right side lower so it doesn't hinder the light to lower corals. And some height so a few gorgs. Or have the chalice come out from the wall in back. Would love to see some of your favorite pics from England & Paris.

• 3 months later...

Hey the chalice is looking great! Perfect spot! I was wondering how you've been! I like the acan garden you've started and of course the leathers too. I love how they're slightly bend to the water with the motion.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, it is a tumor. Started last fall. Treated her with every med, combos of meds, hoping it was bacterial, viral or parasitic, but nothing helped, so consensus by some fish health experts was an ulcerative tumor. She look awful, but swims and eats well. Have had her and her mate Rick since June, 2012.

RIP Sebastian

Sadly, it is a tumor. Started last fall. Treated her with every med, combos of meds, hoping it was bacterial, viral or parasitic, but nothing helped, so consensus by some fish health experts was an ulcerative tumor. She look awful, but swims and eats well. Have had her and her mate Rick since June, 2012.

As long as she's eating. :) My mom always worries about one of our older guinea pigs- he's gotten a lot thinner in the last year. I always tell her that he's still eating like a horse (which he is, especially if you consider the amount of hay he eats) , so she shouldn't worry.

That chalice just loves your tank!!!! It looks so good. Don't you get blown away by how gorgeous those green highlighter potato eye spots are against that purple?!!! Sorry to hear about your fish illness. Poor thing.

That chalice just loves your tank!!!! It looks so good. Don't you get blown away by how gorgeous those green highlighter potato eye spots are against that purple?!!! Sorry to hear about your fish illness. Poor thing.

I LOVE that chalice, Annette! It has been growing like crazy and the colors are unbelievable!

nice coming along nicely. love the acans how big are they? its hard to tell in photos. :)

Most heads are about 1 inch diameter or a bit more. The pink colony in the rear left has 3/4 inch heads.

Wow, is that what happened to the clown from last December when it had a small lump on its nose? Too bad it never went away, but nice to see the fish is healthy in spite of it.

And those acans look so puff!

Wow, is that what happened to the clown from last December when it had a small lump on its nose? Too bad it never went away, but nice to see the fish is healthy in spite of it.

And those acans look so puff!

That's the same clown, Carp. I do worry it is going to kill her one day, as it is pushing against her left eye now, but she doesn't act any differently, except for not spawning anymore.

The acans love this tank. They have developed so many heads since they were moved into it. Ordered 6 corals, including a new acan during the BF sale at Cultivated Reef, hope it will do well.

Most heads are about 1 inch diameter or a bit more. The pink colony in the rear left has 3/4 inch heads.

man I so need to get some big acans like that. just love them.

Archived