Pod Your Reef

Newstead's SCA 75 - new pics

Newstead

FlowerMama

Hurray!!!! FISH!!! Do you have a cover? I just finished making another cover after trying to cut out the frame for the skimmer & filter made it worse. I heard those are good jumpers.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got an acrylic lid custom made by Smiz ..

Love it! Has built in feeder door and fits over overflow so no holes for jumpers.

• 3 weeks later...

Fish! And corals! And diatoms! (Dang it).

But at least the euphyllia & duncan are settling in today - new ones have been in QT for 2 weeks, my "old" ones got dips before moving.

These will go on the eyphyllia island on left.

.ic1rg4.jpg..

And the first fish moved in from QT! NOW I am getting excited about this tank after 4 months of frustration.1198188.jpg

I missed this!!!!!

Fish! And corals! And diatoms! (Dang it).

But at least the euphyllia & duncan are settling in today - new ones have been in QT for 2 weeks, my "old" ones got dips before moving.

These will go on the eyphyllia island on left.

.ic1rg4.jpg..

yay!!!!!!

Awesome!!!! I know you feel better now before you leave on your trip.

Thanks, Annette, I do ... want to shut down the QT before we leave so there are *only* 2 tanks to watch.

But, I do want to get the last fish in so I can move my clown pair. That way if there is any aggression between the 2 firefish or 3 cardinals (hoping against hope I will get 2 pairs), the bully can be moved permanently to the 29.

I will probably just add the acans waiting in the QT in a few more days (got to remove them from their plugs - some iffy looking holes in the skeletons I want to glue shut - have dipped them 2x). Then wait til we return to start on the right side!

Caught all 5 current fish residents together, waiting for their breakfast.

5zi25f.jpg

So far everyone is getting along, but they are juveniles.

Caught all 5 current fish residents together, waiting for their breakfast.

5zi25f.jpg

So far everyone is getting along, but they are juveniles.

Nice shot! So when they pair off, one will go in the biocube? That's a good idea.

Nice shot! So when they pair off, one will go in the biocube? That's a good idea.

Let's hope ... and if the firefish fight, one will go to the biocube as well, as once the clowns are moved there will only be a goby/shrimp pair and the mandarin. Fingers crossed I didn't get 3 male cardinals!

Love the cardinals. Debating between that or a Midas Blenny for my final fush

I want a Midas - but it has to look like Stella's Bert (who really wants to live in the south anyway). There is one on Divers Den right now but he has darker stripes.

Ooohhh... I just found this thread.

Sahweeet!

Gotta do some light reading and catching up.

I am afraid it will be very light reading, Carp!

Ooohhh... I just found this thread.

Sahweeet!

Gotta do some light reading and catching up.

^this

Looks great and I'm looking forward to catching up on your thread :)

Let's hope ... and if the firefish fight, one will go to the biocube as well, as once the clowns are moved there will only be a goby/shrimp pair and the mandarin. Fingers crossed I didn't get 3 male cardinals!

I want a Midas - but it has to look like Stella's Bert (who really wants to live in the south anyway). There is one on Divers Den right now but he has darker stripes.

I am afraid it will be very light reading, Carp!

The midas blennies seem to change color! When i got bert, he was all stressed out and dark. Then after a few days got completely bright yellow. then once he started schooling with the chromis, he seemed to develop the pink and purple hues in with the yellow!

Hey. This is looking great. Can we get a full-room shot to see how it fits in? :)

That sump is so roomy looking. Totally envious...

• 1 month later...

Hey. This is looking great. Can we get a full-room shot to see how it fits in? :)

That sump is so roomy looking. Totally envious...

Dang, sorry I missed this, Carp. Will try to get one today - all I have is crappy cell phone shots at night.

Sooooo, we are leaving in a couple of weeks for the 2 week driving tour of England and France. Son and family will be staying here to take care of everything. I normally do 15-20% water changes a week on both this and my biocube 29 since I feed heavily, but want to simplify the maintenance for them while we are gone.

Questions:

Will 2 weeks without a water change ruin anything?

Can I remove the filter sock while I am gone? The only thing I don't like about this setup is its a pain to get to the back to change the socks (I normally change them 2x week).

I feed 2x day - the biocube will have to be fed that often due to a mandarin, but am assuming that other than being peeved, the fish in the 75 will be fine with 1x day feeding (now the 2 firefish, 3 cardinals, 2 clowns) .

I target feed the acans and euphyllia in the tank 2x week - but they could go 2 weeks without target feeding, correct?

Any suggestions or tips?

how are you liking the banggai cardinals? thinking about picking up a pair...

So far, I love them. Good eaters, calm, get along with the firefish and clowns.

CronicReefer

Tank is coming along nicely Newstead. Just got to get it filled up with corals and it will be looking fantastic.

In response to your vacation concerns:

Your tanks will be fine without a water change for two weeks, the biocube may be a little dirty but the 75 should be just fine with such a small load of fish. You can remove the filter sock but you may want to clean the sump out of detritus when you get back. I rarely target feed my euphyllia (it's probably been at least a month now) and they grow and split just fine. Most of the corals that require feeding are NPS. I know chalices, scoly, and brain corals do much better when you feed them meaty foods but I have seen no difference between feeding or not feeding my euphyllia.

Tank is coming along nicely Newstead. Just got to get it filled up with corals and it will be looking fantastic.

In response to your vacation concerns:

Your tanks will be fine without a water change for two weeks, the biocube may be a little dirty but the 75 should be just fine ....I have seen no difference between feeding or not feeding my euphyllia.

Thanks ... I need this reassurance! Have always fed the acans so was worried about them, but I hate asking my dil to do too much, since they have a 17 month old - we are lucky they will stay here while we are gone!

I have had to stop myself from buying anything before the trip, but when we get back it will be coral buying time!

2 weeks feels stressful, but I'm sure everything will be ok. As long as your dosing is stable, the corals will all be fine, including NPS. Algae may also enjoy a dirtier tank, but you can worry about that when you're back.

As far as the Mandarin goes, I don't have first hand experience. What do you feed it?

2 weeks feels stressful, but I'm sure everything will be ok. As long as your dosing is stable, the corals will all be fine, including NPS. Algae may also enjoy a dirtier tank, but you can worry about that when you're back.

As far as the Mandarin goes, I don't have first hand experience. What do you feed it?

I do expect sone algae, but as long as everything lives I will be happy - they took care of the 29 and a 10 for me last fall for 2 weeks and dod a great job - I am just spazzing about the sump maintenance mainly.

Mine is a target dragonet (*been calling him a mandarin). I lucked out - he is a piglet. Loves the small Hikari mysis and LRS Reef Frenzy, follow the target feeder around and pecks at it!

Oh, you're in great shape, then. I love the psychedelic mandarins, but I've read that the targets are much more willing to eat alternative foods. Some even eat flatworms, allegedly. Even if he doesn't eat daily, he'll surely survive if your DIL feeds occasionally. Nice to have a helping hand to take care of the tanks while you're away.

I set up a little nanny cam on my tank when I went away on vacation, just for peace of mind.

Where's your vacation taking you, BTW?

Archived