Top Shelf Aquatics

Droys' IM Fusion 10 2/7/19 Update

Droy008

Droy can you make me a back cover :wub: lol

lol. My stuff isn't anything near as nice as some peoples work on here. all I have at my disposal is a dremel and some acrylic.

If your dead set on one, I wouldn't mind breaking ithem out. ;)

I'll have to think about it. It makes it look so clean! Maybe helps with evaporation too

It definitely helps with evaporation. But I removed the cover I had over the main display area. While that really cut down evaporation, it also put the tank through interesting PH swings that I'm sure had to do with gas exchange. Also my Temps would swing more with the top on, than without it.

• Like 1

Thanks Teeny, it's the little things right?

Also the media reactor is really a top notch piece. I'm just running regular carbon in it and I cannot believe how clean the tank is. Even more notable is how clean it smells. No more stink.

I have always used carbon. It clogs quickly so I use a small amount and change weekly. It makes the water sparkle!
  • Like 1

I have always used carbon. It clogs quickly so I use a small amount and change weekly. It makes the water sparkle!

It really does. I was skeptical of how much the carbon would do in the reactor. But man this stuff rocks!

• Like 1

It really does. I was skeptical of how much the carbon would do in the reactor. But man this stuff rocks!

It even works just in a media bag which is how I use it. I have it in the drain chambet where there is lots of flow.

• Like 2

Well my monti has been coloring back up really well.

here it was when I first did the sand change :(

ZQtkHLpl.jpg

And here's one from today. :D Don't mind the fact that I broke off a small piece, okay half, but I did manage to save it and glue it to the rockwork as well. You can see in lower right hand side in the picture.

r0ofVoEl.jpg

I don't know why, but I keep finding this little hermit crab in the middle of my frogspawn. I'm worried that he might be munching on it, and if he is, he's getting the boot. :angry:

uGVkAEel.jpg

I officially came up with names for the Tailspot Blenny and my Yellow Clown Goby, Benny and Jet.

They are so much fun and are always together, so I figured their names would be perfect. :P

Ohh and one more thing, tomorrow I get another shipment of coral from Aqua SD... omgomgomg

• Like 3

So I've finished with the back cover. What do you guys think?

fuJpUKOl.jpg

I didn't think the skimmer AND reactor would fit in the 10! I could have been using it instead of letting it sit around lol. I really like the reactor as well, it's been much more plug and play than the skimmer. Tumbles bio-pellets very well.
  • Like 3

I didn't think the skimmer AND reactor would fit in the 10! I could have been using it instead of letting it sit around lol. I really like the reactor as well, it's been much more plug and play than the skimmer. Tumbles bio-pellets very well.

Ya it's a very tight fit, but it does go in. The problem with where it's at in my tank, is that I can't run bio pellets. Ordinarily you'd have them "upstream" of the skimmer so that the skimmer could pull out the excess bacteria created by the reactor.

Ya it's a very tight fit, but it does go in. The problem with where it's at in my tank, is that I can't run bio pellets. Ordinarily you'd have them "upstream" of the skimmer so that the skimmer could pull out the excess bacteria created by the reactor.

I gotcha. Mine is just in the other 'second' chamber. I figure there's enough flow between the return and mp10 to send a lot of that bacteria to end up back at the skimmer before it settles. We'll see how long it works in the long run lol

• Like 1

Well it's been a bit hectic, and I'm not entirely sure I'm in the clear.

To start off I got my shipment/s of coral today. I took part in the live gonzo coral sale this last friday, then turned right around and bought MORE coral from Aquasd.

In total I ordered some 14 frags. Wound up receiving 20!

So I broke down and got some Bayer and mixed up the solution as per Cherry Corals directions. I dipped the frags for ~5 minutes each, then rinsed them in fresh RODI water to wash off the residual dip. But I'm guessing that I either didn't rinse off the frags enough or the fact that I put ALL 20 of the frags into my tank. But I must have introduced some bayer into the system.

I didn't notice it right away, but soon I heard my pistol shrimp snapping like crazy. After inspecting the tank I couldn't find my sexy shrimp, and my cleaner and peppermint shrimp are completely motionless.

It took a second to realize what had happened. I immediately did a quick 10% water change, but I'm worried it was too late.

They since haven't really changed their demeanor, but I can see their little hearts beating so I'm hoping they'll pull through.

I'm just at a loss, I thought I followed the bayer directions well, and used ~10ml per cup of water. With a total of around 4 cups of water.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I hope the shrimp pull through! I've read reports that not rinsing enough can introduce Bayer into the tank. A lot of people do two rinses with the second rinse in a bucket with a couple gallons of salt water to make sure they get it all off. Also, RODI is hard on sps, so use salt water for both rinses.

• Like 1

Well I got to work today and first thing I see is a very dead peppermint shrimp. :(

I also cannot locate my sexy shrimp or my six line. However both the tiger pistol and the cleaner shrimp are doing well, so here's to hoping they're just playing hide and seek.

On another note, my little Pom Pom Crab came out of hiding and said hello to me, which did cheer me up a bit.

Also did a quick test of the water, and it looks like nitrates are a little high (10ppm) but no ammonia or nitrites, so considering the circumstances I fell like I we might be ok.

Tough lessons to be learned lately.

Hey drop your just a quick question. What kind of chemical filtration do you run?

Also sorry about your loss. Hopefully everything will recover! 20 new frags?! Damn

• Like 1

Hey drop your just a quick question. What kind of chemical filtration do you run?

Also sorry about your loss. Hopefully everything will recover! 20 new frags?! Damn

Ya I ordered 14 total, but I think Will at Aquasd forgot how to count...he gave me 5 freebies :o

Everything seems to have settled down now.

As for filtration. I run 1 bag of chemipure blue, 1 bag of phosguard, and filterfloss. I'm also running plain carbon in the reactor.

I'm also 90% sure that the reactor saved my tank yesterday. So happy I had it up and running.

• Like 1

Thanks Teeny.

I just feel bad. Funny thing, all my coral look great!

Yep, Bayer is great for corals! Just not so much for inverts. Fingers crossed for the rest of them!

• Like 1

Hopefully a few water changes and your nitrates can be lowered. Hope you find your sexy. That's so many frags at once. Give it some time between your purchases and let the system get used to a few frags at at time.

• Like 1

Hopefully a few water changes and your nitrates can be lowered. Hope you find your sexy. That's so many frags at once. Give it some time between your purchases and let the system get used to a few frags at at time.

Thanks Flowermama, in hindsight I definitely got a little carried away. While the plan was originally to order coral for the new tank, the tank didn't show up in time, so I had to improvise. I really shouldn't have introduced them all at once though, and I do plan to let things settle in for a few months.

Also I finally broke down and ordered my first DSLR camera! :D

So now hopefully I'll stop screwing with the tank and instead start enjoying it.

• Like 1