Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

24 gal Water of Life - Alexander

uisge-beatha

21 minutes ago, uisge-beatha said:

Thanks Lula_Mae!  The funny thing is she totally forgot that her cousin is named Alexander too.  She's brilliant but a bit of a space cadet. :lol:

That's hilarious!  I can be a bit of a space cadet too so I totally understand! :lol:

• Like 1
uisge-beatha

I'm happy to report that Alexander the midas blenny is doing well.  I initially had him in a QT, but he wasn't eating well, and I was very worried he wouldn't survive the long weekend - my tank sitter is my 10-year old neighbour, who can handle feeding pellets but not frozen.  I moved him prematurely to the DT two days ago, and he's MUCH happier.  There are a lot more places to hide, more places to explore, and algae to nibble.  He's still only eating gut-loaded brine, but he's a piggy now. :wub:   He should be okay for the weekend, I think - he'll only be two days without frozen food. 

876615D5-4D75-439D-83B9-1F4C5872BFBF_zps

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, uisge-beatha said:

I'm happy to report that Alexander the midas blenny is doing well.  I initially had him in a QT, but he wasn't eating well, and I was very worried he wouldn't survive the long weekend - my tank sitter is my 10-year old neighbour, who can handle feeding pellets but not frozen.  I moved him prematurely to the DT two days ago, and he's MUCH happier.  There are a lot more places to hide, more places to explore, and algae to nibble.  He's still only eating gut-loaded brine, but he's a piggy now. :wub:   He should be okay for the weekend, I think - he'll only be two days without frozen food. 

876615D5-4D75-439D-83B9-1F4C5872BFBF_zps

Oh that's great!!!

A Midas Blenny is definitely on my list of fish to get for my tank and may be my next one. 

• Like 1
uisge-beatha

He seems to be a good fish, so far.  He's quite large (about 4"), so I was concerned that he might have been a "return to store" fish for being aggressive - I forgot to ask when I bought him.  However, so far so good - he likes to swim near the clownfish, but doesn't seem to be exhibiting aggressive.  The poor clownfish is a little upset about the sudden lack of respect for his personal space though! :D

uisge-beatha

Yeah!  He's eating pellets! :D  

Both of my fish still don't like mysis very much.  They need to learn that I don't abide picky eaters - here's your supper, take it or leave it! ;)

• Like 2
uisge-beatha

"Double double toil and trouble

Fire burn and cauldron bubble"

Cooking my new rock :naughtydance: 

681E2B7E-E0C8-44AA-B558-77E4C1FBAD47_zps

"Um, Claire, why do you have a mini-skimmer in there?"

Good question! I'm trying out the Red Sea bacteria kit, and the NO3-PO4-X component requires skimming. I'm also time-sharing my light between the DT and cure tank. I'm trying to encourage a strong population of "good" microfauna, in the hopes of outcompeting the algae once the rock goes into the DT.  I'm going to transfer some "clean" rock (ie scrubbed and peroxide-treated) to the cure tank once the ammonia is down, as well, to hopefully introduce some of the lovelies from my original rock. 

• Like 2
uisge-beatha

The only problem is that my poor husband is asking why there always seems to be a bucket of sea water in our living room lately.  

I see your hockey bag, and raise you a tank of curing rock! :P

• Like 2
uisge-beatha

Totally off-topic, but I'm SUPER EXCITED about next weekend - I'm taking my Pathfinder unit (Girl Guides for Gr. 7-9) on a canoe trip.  As you might be able to tell from my avatar, it's one of my favourite ways to enjoy the outdoors. :wub:

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, uisge-beatha said:

Totally off-topic, but I'm SUPER EXCITED about next weekend - I'm taking my Pathfinder unit (Girl Guides for Gr. 7-9) on a canoe trip.  As you might be able to tell from my avatar, it's one of my favourite ways to enjoy the outdoors. :wub:

Sounds like it could be fun!  My brother in law has an Xterra and likes to take it on trails. :lol:

uisge-beatha

It's going to be great!  At least until they get tired/cold/hungry LOL!  They're a fantastic bunch of girls, and they totally crack me up.  Teenagers are pretty cool people when you're not their parent or teacher. :lol:

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, uisge-beatha said:

It's going to be great!  At least until they get tired/cold/hungry LOL!  They're a fantastic bunch of girls, and they totally crack me up.  Teenagers are pretty cool people when you're not their parent or teacher. :lol:

Haha I always used to joke that I loved being around kids cause I could give them back to their parents!

uisge-beatha

LOL yep! Unfortunately, that doesn't work with my own kids. ;)

It's actually really interesting spending time with the teenagers.  For the most part, they come from stable homes with conscientious, involved parents, but still they're absolutely desperate for someone to listen to their thoughts and concerns.  They often say that the thing they like most about Guiding is that the leaders and the other girls provide unconditional support no matter what's going on in their lives.  It makes me a bit sad. :(  I'm sure my own kids will feel the same way about me as a parent, though! 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, uisge-beatha said:

I'm sure my own kids will feel the same way about me as a parent, though!

Maybe sometimes, but you can't always support the things which you feel may harm them.  Just as long as they know that you love them and care.  Sounds like they are pretty lucky.

• Like 1
uisge-beatha

That's really sweet, seabass.  :flower:

And yes, the parents are often in the position of having to be the bad guy, which I don't think the teens always understand.  

My eldest daughter is almost 10, so we'll be entering teenager land before long! :scarry:

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, uisge-beatha said:

LOL yep! Unfortunately, that doesn't work with my own kids. ;)

It's actually really interesting spending time with the teenagers.  For the most part, they come from stable homes with conscientious, involved parents, but still they're absolutely desperate for someone to listen to their thoughts and concerns.  They often say that the thing they like most about Guiding is that the leaders and the other girls provide unconditional support no matter what's going on in their lives.  It makes me a bit sad. :(  I'm sure my own kids will feel the same way about me as a parent, though! 

I'm lucky in that I have a really, good strong relationship with my oldest who is 14. 

We are pretty open with each other, and I'm sure it helps that we like and respect each other. 

I strongly suspect his younger 11yo brother is gonna be a bit more difficult...

• Like 2
uisge-beatha

My youngest is the same!  I think it's a little brother thing.  He's a good kid, but SOOO much more challenging than his sisters! 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm lucky in that I have a really, good strong relationship with my oldest who is 14. 

We are pretty open with each other, and I'm sure it helps that we like and respect each other. 

I strongly suspect his younger 11yo brother is gonna be a bit more difficult...

My second-born sister (also the middle child) was easily the most difficult of the three of us lol.  Strong-willed, fiesty, and stubborn!  :lol:

Granted, we're all a bit that way, but she was the strongest-willed lol.  Not sure which of us is most stubborn. :unsure:

And yeah, working with teens can be pretty special.

44 minutes ago, uisge-beatha said:

Strong-willed = leadership potential!! :D

I am very strong-willed and stubborn. 

I never wanted to be a leader. 

But you know what?

I am. 

• Like 2