Cultivated Reef

PieMan2k's Bedroom Tank NEW FTS PG 5 AND BLENNY PICS

PieMan2k

That's what I did in my 10g tank - just the top unstable rocks. I really hope I never have to take it apart because I'd never get it back together the same way :)

haha I hear you on that one. I Was looking at multiple scape ideas and WAS adding/removing rock and I couldn't fit some things exactly how I had them before so I just said f it and went with the most stable one that I liked the most.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HAVE WATER!!! Cycle is going got an ammonia reading of .2 lastnight. I would upload some pictures but photobucket is being an ass.

I was wondering about treating the tank with biospiria and adoing my Acan frag from my dad's tank to my tank the same day. Would that be a good idea or could it kill the coral?

I also have a question about ro/dI water, do I need to use dechlorinator if it's fresh ro/DI water?

You filled it 2 days ago. I highly suggest not getting a fish this week.

it actually has been filled for 10 days. Forgot to post about it when I filled it. The only reason I am even thinuking about getting a fish is because on the back of the bottle it says adding fish is ok immediately and the ammonia from released from the fish's gills feed the bacteria.

Tank has 0 nitrates,nitrites, and ammonia. Looks like the bacteria did work in the past day. FISH SOON, possibly today after school I can take my truck to the LFS and pick up a fish that they have had for a while and possibly a small frag of zoas or something cheap.

Well I have a little friend and a piece of coral!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138035406@N06/shares/5rXF92

The coral appears to be a tort of some sort, possible an uncolored cali-tort. My little fish friend is a bicolor chromis. He decided to immediately make a burrow under the middle rock on the back side, once he did that he has been out and exploring the tankEXCEPT when I take the camera out :lol:

Tank has 0 nitrates,nitrites, and ammonia. Looks like the bacteria did work in the past day. FISH SOON, possibly today after school I can take my truck to the LFS and pick up a fish that they have had for a while and possibly a small frag of zoas or something cheap.

Well, really you need to wait until you start seeing nitrates to know that the tank has cycled or started to cycle. Did you put in any ammonia source to get the actual cycle started?

Well, really you need to wait until you start seeing nitrates to know that the tank has cycled or started to cycle. Did you put in any ammonia source to get the actual cycle started?

When I added water I was ghost feeding. Everything was zero this morning which leads me to believe the the tank is cycled.

Oh man, he's very cute!

Here's an example of the BBCode for that picture in case it helps. Quote this post and click the light switch to see the code ;)

24010271193_10f8637842_b.jpg20160126_210341 by PieMan2k, on Flickr

I will have to do it tomorrow because I'm on my phone :( thanks I do agree he is a cute little bugger.

Ok so I did a water test today on my elements and everything was WAY low. Ca at 325ppm, Alk at 2.q Meq/L or 5.7 dKH, and Mg at 1100ppm. My salinity is at 1.024 or 33ppt. I'm using red sea coral pro salt, any idea why my levels are so low. There is no way that this little piece of coral is using that much supplements daily.

Ok so I did a water test today on my elements and everything was WAY low. Ca at 325ppm, Alk at 2.q Meq/L or 5.7 dKH, and Mg at 1100ppm. My salinity is at 1.024 or 33ppt. I'm using red sea coral pro salt, any idea why my levels are so low. There is no way that this little piece of coral is using that much supplements daily.

Raise your salinity, no? You are probably not testing or mixing your salt correctly; coral pro has high DKH and it is VERY unlikely your tank is using that much

Raise your salinity, no? You are probably not testing or mixing your salt correctly; coral pro has high DKH and it is VERY unlikely your tank is using that much

that's what I was thinking. How should I go about raising the salinity? Maybe taking our 4 or so gallons and mixing a bucket of new water at 1.026 to bring the SG up to 1.025?

that's what I was thinking. How should I go about raising the salinity? Maybe taking our 4 or so gallons and mixing a bucket of new water at 1.026 to bring the SG up to 1.025?

Do a water change. When you're mixing your salt, check alk and calcium. I wouldn't worry too much, those levels are not too low and i don't see that you'll get much difference in levels between 1.024 and 1.025 - when I mix mine up, I generally use it if it mixes between 1.024 and 1.026, shooting for 1.025 which is what I keep my tank at. I use the same salt.

My calcium and alk depleted in the very beginning as well. No idea why. I didn't even have any corals in there. Keep on top of your water changes and you'll raise the levels.

And you do NOT want to raise alk or calcium too quickly since you've got critters in there. So water changes should be able to replenish over time.

Do a water change. When you're mixing your salt, check alk and calcium. I wouldn't worry too much, those levels are not too low and i don't see that you'll get much difference in levels between 1.024 and 1.025 - when I mix mine up, I generally use it if it mixes between 1.024 and 1.026, shooting for 1.025 which is what I keep my tank at. I use the same salt.

My calcium and alk depleted in the very beginning as well. No idea why. I didn't even have any corals in there. Keep on top of your water changes and you'll raise the levels.

And you do NOT want to raise alk or calcium too quickly since you've got critters in there. So water changes should be able to replenish over time.

Thanks for the advice Stella! Now that I got to thinking about it, do you think the rock and or the sand could have absorbed the elements in the tank?

24281331309_3d548c3995_k.jpg2016-01-24 22.16.45 by PieMan2k, on Flickr

My dads chalice that I think im going to get a clone from later down the road.

24540695012_ac9cf6024b_k.jpg2016-01-27 10.44.55 by PieMan2k, on Flickr

My little coral in my tank, I don't know what it is maybe a tort of some sort? here is a pic without the blues

24361183600_3d94b0918b_k.jpg20160126_200103 by PieMan2k, on Flickr

And I was successful at getting a still shot of the Chromis today!

24029914783_d4a8826b7b_k.jpg20160126_223039 by PieMan2k, on Flickr

Thanks for the advice Stella! Now that I got to thinking about it, do you think the rock and or the sand could have absorbed the elements in the tank?

That's a thought, but I'm not sure! How long has it been since your last W/C? Since you set up the tank? And how long has water been in there?

That's a thought, but I'm not sure! How long has it been since your last W/C? Since you set up the tank? And how long has water been in there?

There has been water for 2 weeks and that was the last time i changed the water. I don't have a waterchange hose so im going to go get one tomorrow to do a WC.

There has been water for 2 weeks and that was the last time i changed the water. I don't have a waterchange hose so im going to go get one tomorrow to do a WC.

I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium right now since you've only got the 1 coral in there. Alk is a little low, but can be brought back up. I don't think there's anything huge to worry about, but it should help with the water changes. I didn't do my first water change until about a month in, didn't add fish for about a month I think. When I tested calcium it was around 300 and alk was at 6. I didn't have any corals in the tank so I was at a loss as to what used the alk/cal. At that time, I was using premixed salt water from the LFS - they use red sea coral pro. However, they always mixed at lower salinity - 1.021-1.022 which prompted me to start mixing my own. After a water change or two, calcium and alk were back up. Not sure if that helps or not, but figured it can't hurt to share :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium right now since you've only got the 1 coral in there. Alk is a little low, but can be brought back up. I don't think there's anything huge to worry about, but it should help with the water changes. I didn't do my first water change until about a month in, didn't add fish for about a month I think. When I tested calcium it was around 300 and alk was at 6. I didn't have any corals in the tank so I was at a loss as to what used the alk/cal. At that time, I was using premixed salt water from the LFS - they use red sea coral pro. However, they always mixed at lower salinity - 1.021-1.022 which prompted me to start mixing my own. After a water change or two, calcium and alk were back up. Not sure if that helps or not, but figured it can't hurt to share :)

Ok, thanks for the advice! I guess I won't worry too much about alk, ca, or mg for a couple weeks or months till I have more corals and a few water changes to stable out the params.

Ok, thanks for the advice! I guess I won't worry too much about alk, ca, or mg for a couple weeks or months till I have more corals and a few water changes to stable out the params.

Yeah, for sure. It's good to get in a habit of testing and tracking though, so I would keep doing that. You want to make sure it doesn't bottom out altogether, but keep an eye on things. Stability is key for sure :)

Yeah, for sure. It's good to get in a habit of testing and tracking though, so I would keep doing that. You want to make sure it doesn't bottom out altogether, but keep an eye on things. Stability is key for sure :)

I took a log today of what everything is. I'm going to test a few hours after I so a water change and see how it changed. Thanks for the advice Stella!

Archived