inTank Media Baskets

PieMan2k's Bedroom Tank NEW FTS PG 5 AND BLENNY PICS

PieMan2k

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SHIT!! It's going to rain tomorrow and that's the only day I am at my moms till newyears so that means I'm just going to have my tank to play with the lights while it's empty for a week or so after Christmas. WHY RAIN WHY!!!!!!!

Allright UPDATE!!! I will be shipping the biocube hood to Dave from Nanobox to see if he can figure out what's wrong with the lights. They won't pair up or turn on and I don't want to mess with it when I didn't wire it or know how to fix it.

In other news I stained my stand BUT didn't sand it enough before I stained it so tomorrow will be ALOT of sanding and the final poly coat.

Oh and for christmas I got everything I need / wanted for the tank besides coral dip, declorinator, rocks, sand, and an Rodi filter. which I'm still unsure about because why not just buy a RO filter? What does the DI even do or why not run the water through a Britta filter and put it into the tank. The city has pretty good water from what I've heard.

Because ro is reverse osmosis and dI is deionization. Britta does not clean water anywhere within 1000 miles of what an Rodi will. Last time i had a Britta filter it was made up of a little carbon and a sponge. If you have a single tds reading you still have no idea what you are putting in your tank. Is it copper? Is it fluride? Is it chlorine? Is it lead? You have no idea what is in the water that you are adding to your tank. Any hard metal will absorb into your rock and eventually leech back out. That's why you always see people with posts saying "I don't understand, I used tap water for x amount of years without an issue I don't believe my tank is crashing from tap water "

Following along!

Waiting patiently for pictures of the tank.

Bitterly disappointed you have to wait for Dave to look at the light.

:D

fishfreak0114

Any hard metal will absorb into your rock and eventually leech back out. That's why you always see people with posts saying "I don't understand, I used tap water for x amount of years without an issue I don't believe my tank is crashing from tap water "

Oh crap. I didn't know that's how that worked. Guess I should bump getting an RODI unit up on my list :(. Following this build :)

Another update! Went back to the LFS and grabbed my sand, some coral dip, and some Seachem Prime. I also have finished my stand and it is up in my room with the tank on top. I also ordered my rock (30lbs) from John at Reef cleaners so that should be here by Sunday or Monday. My plans for my tank are ALOT of SPS & LPS with a clam eventually. That includes Chalices, Birds nest, Stylophora, MAYBE a few easy acros, and most of all MONTICAPS!! For LPS zoas, acans, plates, candycanes, Blastos, and some favias to top it off. For NPS Torches, hammers, and frogspawn. I understand Not all of these corals are compatible and I will weed them out as time goes on. Plus it is going to take me a while to stock the tank so I'm not worried about overstocking.

Stand before stain

20151227_182223_zpsls24lwbq.jpeg

Tank and stand after stain. Don't mind the missing handle need to go get shorter bolts (tank has no hood because the hood and lights are at Dave's place from nanobox to checkout whats wrong.)

20160105_1941291_zpstsuu8g8p.jpg

I am going to my dads house this weekend and will have to ask him about going 50/50 on a RO/DI unit because he also needs one and I don't see why we would need 2. My plan is I can just bring it to my house to initially fill my tank up and when I visit him every other week get 10 gallons in which 6 gallons will be for my weekly water-changes (3 gallons each week until livestock is added then I will buy another jug and bring home 15 gallons).The other 4 gallons will last me 2 weeks on evaporation and if I have extra I can use it for water changes or just keep extra laying around in case of an emergency. IF YOU HAVE AN EXTRA RO/DI UNIT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SELL ME PM ME AN OFFER PLEASE!!

I also forgot to mention my Christmas/ Birthday haul because my Birthday is in January 1st. I got A LOT of money about $250 that i can use to startup my tank. I also got complete Red Sea test kits and coral pro salt. A nice algae scraper and some replacement blades for it. My dad had some smaller power heads that he cant use in his tank so he gave those to me aswell. Now i have a FULL TANK SETUP!! just have to wait on rock and for my cycle to be completed.

Oh I almost forgot to mention the best gift ever. MY PARENTS BOUGHT ME A FORD RANGER FOR MY BIRTHDAY HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

FullSizeRender1_zpseowbl2ul.jpg

It has a few dings and scratches that they are going to get out as well as my stepdad and i have some work to do on the interior but for my first vehicle i think its AWESOME!!!!!

Dave said the lights had some wires out of place somehow so he will fix it today and ship it by the end of the day!! That means my tank will be fully setup by the end of next week!!!!!SOO CLOSE I CAN'T WAIT!!

He sounds like an amazing man <3 I can't wait for my nanobox. I love the tank location. not sure I could do that because, of fans.... I need a very silent quiet sleeping environment and running water, even if it's a slight trickle can send me for a loop.

Because ro is reverse osmosis and dI is deionization. Britta does not clean water anywhere within 1000 miles of what an Rodi will. Last time i had a Britta filter it was made up of a little carbon and a sponge. If you have a single tds reading you still have no idea what you are putting in your tank. Is it copper? Is it fluride? Is it chlorine? Is it lead? You have no idea what is in the water that you are adding to your tank. Any hard metal will absorb into your rock and eventually leech back out. That's why you always see people with posts saying "I don't understand, I used tap water for x amount of years without an issue I don't believe my tank is crashing from tap water "

I had never seen this type of explanation before, I thank you for an explanation that seems quite logical. I was always told of the possibility of a crash and how bad tap is, but never exactly why. I know in our area, we are ozone treated water with occasional chlorination. I have a very sensitive sense of smell so I detect the chlorine (usually during real bad hot summer days) and hold that water back with treatment. I tested for copper - primary reason I keep a copper test, but never had it show up in my tests.

So, if I read it right and one continues ot use the tap, it absorbs and releases, so eventually you are still using tap and it adding more toxic metals from teh rock and causes chaos.

So if I am using RODI, I hope any leaching is being taken out with my regular water changes. As it stands I did a copper test recently just to make sure.

He sounds like an amazing man <3 I can't wait for my nanobox. I love the tank location. not sure I could do that because, of fans.... I need a very silent quiet sleeping environment and running water, even if it's a slight trickle can send me for a loop.

What light are you getting? I have the retro lights inside of the hood and I took out the old stock biocube fans because they made ALOT of noise. The nanobox fans are almost completley silent. I sleep with a ceiling fan on so I'm used to constant noise and I think the water running/hum from the propellers will be kinda soothing to me.

Hood came back from Dave with a shattered splash guard :( Going to call UPS up and have them pay for a new one since I had insurance on the package. In other news THE LIGHTS ARE WORKING, And I have rock so I scaped the tank lastnight. Here's how it turned out.

Angled FTS

20160112_075849_zpshvly5o9o.jpg

Left side

20160112_075858_zps43moa2vl.jpg

Right side

20160112_075906_zpsmcbubeso.jpg

FTS straight on

20160112_075912_zpsrrrgd4xf.jpg

Top down

20160112_075927_zpsqfzqmsii.jpg

No water yet. Going to the LFS to get their RO/DI water and mix it for the tank. Once cycled my dad should have his RO/DI system so when I go to his house I can full water up and take it back to my moms.

Looking good! You want to make sure you leave enough room between the rockscape and the glass so you can get a glass cleaner in there easily - both in the beginning and once coral grows in. the left side especially looks kind of close.

Looking good! You want to make sure you leave enough room between the rockscape and the glass so you can get a glass cleaner in there easily - both in the beginning and once coral grows in. the left side especially looks kind of close.

it clears right now but I did not think about tone corals grow in, Thanks for the advice! I Will tweak it after I get home and do my homework.

it clears right now but I did not think about tone corals grow in, Thanks for the advice! I Will tweak it after I get home and do my homework.

Plus, once you have sand and water, it always seems that things adjust a little over time. I had just enough space on the right side of my rock work then it slowly shifted over time closer to the glass as weight and movement and whatever else caused the rock to settle. I ended up reworking it which was a PITA once I had corals, fish, etc. in there :)

Plus, you want to think about flow. You want to make sure flow will be maximized around the tank. Obviously that will come into play when you're placing powerheads and such, but if you are leaving enough space, that will help from detritus and cyano settling on certain places on the sand and such.

Plus, once you have sand and water, it always seems that things adjust a little over time. I had just enough space on the right side of my rock work then it slowly shifted over time closer to the glass as weight and movement and whatever else caused the rock to settle. I ended up reworking it which was a PITA once I had corals, fish, etc. in there :)

Plus, you want to think about flow. You want to make sure flow will be maximized around the tank. Obviously that will come into play when you're placing powerheads and such, but if you are leaving enough space, that will help from detritus and cyano settling on certain places on the sand and such.

are you suggesting I glue my rocks?

are you suggesting I glue my rocks?

No. Well, unless they aren't 100% stable. I'm just suggesting keep in mind your rockscape and the ease of cleaning in the long run. It is a pain to go in and adjust later :) You also want to leave some space for corals that come in on rocks and/or if you see something you want to add eventually.

No. Well, unless they aren't 100% stable. I'm just suggesting keep in mind your rockscape and the ease of cleaning in the long run. It is a pain to go in and adjust later :) You also want to leave some space for corals that come in on rocks and/or if you see something you want to add eventually.

Thanks for the advice I will deffinetlt double check everything when I get home and make sure it won't be a pain or shift. The rocks are stable I was just wondering if you were suggesting gluing them to make sure they don't shift in the long run.

Thanks for the advice I will deffinetlt double check everything when I get home and make sure it won't be a pain or shift. The rocks are stable I was just wondering if you were suggesting gluing them to make sure they don't shift in the long run.

I had glued some of mine - the upside of glue is they don't shift. The downside is if you ever need to remove a rock, you can't. I'd go with making sure they are stable rather than gluing.

I had glued some of mine - the upside of glue is they don't shift. The downside is if you ever need to remove a rock, you can't. I'd go with making sure they are stable rather than gluing.

I think I'm going to take your advice and maybe only glue 2 or 3 together to make sure the top won't fall down and crush the corals/clam I eventually have planned.

That's what I did in my 10g tank - just the top unstable rocks. I really hope I never have to take it apart because I'd never get it back together the same way :)

Archived