Coral Vue Hydros

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Last night I notice one of the anthias swimming funny and upon closer inspection, its tail was pretty beat up.  Tonight I found its dead body.  Killer struck again.  In the past two months, I have lost:

2 cleaner shrimps

2 firefish

4 anthias

I am pretty pissed.  This is the first time I actually found a dead body.  The other lost have been completely mysterious with no body found.  Commonality between the fish death have been:

All small fish, all sleeps in the same area by the left side of the tank.  All have been super healthy, then gone.  

What's the best way to trap this killer?  I also got two emerald crabs recently and I have not seen them at all...

Took the camera out today since I had to stop all the pumps to take the dead fish out....

32525578574_8dfd1f2d14_z.jpg

33328124306_d54638a804_c.jpg

Trying out close up lens.  Pretty good for pics from the front but impossible to take top down shots with it...

@mpsti05, want some sunny Ds??  =P

33328121956_c2f36e05aa_z.jpg

blasto looks pretty good close up

33213279412_5d10b637cd_z.jpg

• Like 18
56 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

I just can't get over how pretty this tank is.

Thanks!  I found a new white balance mode (Underwater Auto) on the Sony A6000 that makes the color pop pretty nicely =)

53 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Sorry to hear about your as of yet unknown tank killer. Have you tried traps or stalking you tank during the night?

Tried the water bottle trap but only caught lots of snails...

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Thanks!  I found a new white balance mode (Underwater Auto) on the Sony A6000 that makes the color pop pretty nicely =)

Tried the water bottle trap but only caught lots of snails...

Wow! Did you have to adjust the white balance in post processing too, or is that just the way the camera figured it out? I'm impressed either way...and starting to lust after that Sony more and more.

Sucks about that silent killer :unsure:

• Like 1
Just now, teenyreef said:

Wow! Did you have to adjust the white balance in post processing too, or is that just the way the camera figured it out? I'm impressed either way...and starting to lust after that Sony more and more.

Sucks about that silent killer :unsure:

Still need to do some adjustment in Lightroom to increase black level, brightness, and clarity.  But do not need to adjust white balance much.  Earlier I have to usually do +30 to white balance because the photos come out too blue.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Still need to do some adjustment in Lightroom to increase black level, brightness, and clarity.  But do not need to adjust white balance much.  Earlier I have to usually do +30 to white balance because the photos come out too blue.  

That's really awesome to be able to get the WB that close in the original RAW file. It gives you a lot more room to make adjustments - sometimes I have to max out the slider to clean up the blue and it's still not enough. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

That's really awesome to be able to get the WB that close in the original RAW file. It gives you a lot more room to make adjustments - sometimes I have to max out the slider to clean up the blue and it's still not enough. 

haha yea, i feel you on that

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Took the camera out today since I had to stop all the pumps to take the dead fish out....

32525578574_8dfd1f2d14_z.jpg

33328124306_d54638a804_c.jpg

Trying out close up lens.  Pretty good for pics from the front but impossible to take top down shots with it...

@mpsti05, want some sunny Ds??  =P

33328121956_c2f36e05aa_z.jpg

blasto looks pretty good close up

33213279412_5d10b637cd_z.jpg

Yes yes I do!!!!! Make it happen captain! Dude tank looks awesome... and that new foxface looks good!

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from 8 days in Peru.  Visited lots of ruins (Machu Picchu) and Amazon rainforest.  Tanks did great.  Had a dog sitter that fed the tank two cubes per day.  Had one lost though.  Diamond goby is nowhere to be found =(.

Lots of pics to sort through but here's my favorite so far, taken with Sony A6000 Panorama mode.

33717971891_f62e70a24e_b.jpg

Overall, I am a bit disappointed with the image quality from the A6000.  Maybe it's because I am still getting used to the camera but I feel the pics are not as sharp and vibrant as the Nikon.  Could also be because we had not so great weather with lots of overcast / rain.  

• Like 16

1. Welcome back.

2. I hate you and wish I was you so I could have just gotten back from Machu Picchu, what a cool trip!

3. Machu Picchu through an A6000 looks pretty good in the picture you posted :lol:

Sorry about the diamond goby, though :(

• Like 4

Jacky - I have started to play with CaptureOne instead of Lightroom. It is a BIG change but the image quality is much better on Sony RAW files. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

1. Welcome back.

2. I hate you and wish I was you so I could have just gotten back from Machu Picchu, what a cool trip!

3. Machu Picchu through an A6000 looks pretty good in the picture you posted :lol:

Sorry about the diamond goby, though :(

haha.  Machu Picchu is pretty cool but skip the Amazon.  Hot, sticky, mosquitoes everywhere.  

6 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Jacky - I have started to play with CaptureOne instead of Lightroom. It is a BIG change but the image quality is much better on Sony RAW files. 

Thanks for the recommendation!  I only have Lightroom 3.6 so I can't even import Sony RAW files =(.  

2 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

The last time I had fish die like you experienced, it was due to rogue emerald crabs.

I added two emerald crabs but that was AFTER the anthias and firefish mysteriously disappeared.  I have not seen the emerald crabs since I added them.  

• Like 1

I haven't checked on your tank in a long time. Holy crudpoos, your corals seem to be doing so well! Everything looks so fat, happy and colorful!

• Like 1

Wow !!!!! ninjamyst you have a amazing build I am blown away by this tank 100% I just read through all the 101 pages and now I am dying to get myself a Kessil AP700 now for my standard 75g build that I am planning , which is nearly the same size as your tank. Do you recommend it, for me? Once again amazing build ninjamyst !!!! Breath taking in every way on this build I love it. 

• Like 1

Some more pics from my trip =P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40199713@N03/albums/72157678866785084

20 hours ago, clayjess said:

Wow !!!!! ninjamyst you have a amazing build I am blown away by this tank 100% I just read through all the 101 pages and now I am dying to get myself a Kessil AP700 now for my standard 75g build that I am planning , which is nearly the same size as your tank. Do you recommend it, for me? Once again amazing build ninjamyst !!!! Breath taking in every way on this build I love it. 

I like the AP700 a lot now.  A little overpriced IMO with the mounting arms but good if you can get it on sale.  

• Like 2