Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

jedimasterben
54 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Do you think there is any correlation between reduced wattage for spectrum-specificity since chaetomax is red&purple-only led?  

Red and blue/violet LED combos are best for most green plants/algae, but there is a lot of variability in LEDs with regards to actual spectral output and radiometric output. If you had a super high quality LED that you ran at very low power, it would still be much more powerful than taking a super cheap low power LED and running it at full power.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Stupid jebao pp8 died.  This was a new one from Ebay.  I think I will go back to a gyre when they go on sale on Black Friday. 

Save some money and buy the icecap version...😃. I like my 1K a lot. Although using only one right now, my flow is a bit one-directional. Although they’re coming out with 2Ks that can be controlled under one controller early next year if you can wait. 

• Like 2
On 11/21/2019 at 9:39 PM, ninjamyst said:

Stupid jebao pp8 died.  This was a new one from Ebay.  I think I will go back to a gyre when they go on sale on Black Friday. 

That sucks! I have some Jebao Sow's and they seem alright so far. 

• Like 1

I know how you feel...I keep getting busy at work, which means I neglect the tanks. Everything goes fine for a while, so the neglect becomes a habit. Then the tanks start looking worse, which makes me even less interested in keeping up on water changes and algae scraping. It's a downward spiral until I get back into doing regular water changes again.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I know how you feel...I keep getting busy at work, which means I neglect the tanks. Everything goes fine for a while, so the neglect becomes a habit. Then the tanks start looking worse, which makes me even less interested in keeping up on water changes and algae scraping. It's a downward spiral until I get back into doing regular water changes again.

For me the cure was focusing and downsizing to ONE reef. Just so much easier and since I did that and been given my reef time it's looking fantastic! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Matteo said:

For me the cure was focusing and downsizing to ONE reef. Just so much easier and since I did that and been given my reef time it's looking fantastic! 

I wish I could! But any time I think about it...I won't give up having a 40g+ display tank where I can grow out colonies. And I love having my nano on the desktop. And I have to keep the 30g frag tank because I always have so many frags, plus it's a great tank for corals to use for recovery. Sigh...

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I'm in a bit of a lull myself tank-wise.  So naturally, I decided that I'm gonna redo the entire scape, purging all the frags that I hung on to far too long.  

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 11/21/2019 at 9:46 PM, mitten_reef said:

Save some money and buy the icecap version...😃. I like my 1K a lot. Although using only one right now, my flow is a bit one-directional. Although they’re coming out with 2Ks that can be controlled under one controller early next year if you can wait. 

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

That sucks! I have some Jebao Sow's and they seem alright so far. 

Ended up getting a $13 1000 GPH chinese pump on Amazon.  Not programmable but it will do fine for now.  The Gyre 330 is just way too expensive so maybe I will get the 2K next year.  The Jebao Sow is also on my list since that's their newest version.  

58 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

story of my life....

44 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I almost bought another tank today.  Hahahah.  

18 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I'm in a bit of a lull myself tank-wise.  So naturally, I decided that I'm gonna redo the entire scape, purging all the frags that I hung on to far too long.  

I think I will be much happy if I can get rid of my 4 frag racks too.  Too lazy to even sell corals....sigh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I think I will be much happy if I can get rid of my 4 frag racks too.  Too lazy to even sell corals....sigh.

Wow, me too! I have racks of frags in the 40g display tank, and the 30g frag tank is stuffed. I even rescaped the 30g to make room for more frags instead of simply selling them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, me too! I have racks of frags in the 40g display tank, and the 30g frag tank is stuffed. I even rescaped the 30g to make room for more frags instead of simply selling them.

I have a frag tank in the basement now too.......LOL.  

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Ended up getting a $13 1000 GPH chinese pump on Amazon.  Not programmable but it will do fine for now.  The Gyre 330 is just way too expensive so maybe I will get the 2K next year.  The Jebao Sow is also on my list since that's their newest version.  

story of my life....

I almost bought another tank today.  Hahahah.  

You know you want that tank LOL!

I had a older maxspect gyre and it was 'ok' - the parts wore out on it fast and it was a huge nightmare to clean. Hopefully the newest ones are better.

If I go $$$$ on a pump I am looking at tunze or octo pulse. The nero would need a cage to keep fish and snails out and the magnet is weak so thats a pass unless they fix those problems. The new vortechs wet side shaft seems to wear out faster than the older ones. Boo!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I wish I could! But any time I think about it...I won't give up having a 40g+ display tank where I can grow out colonies. And I love having my nano on the desktop. And I have to keep the 30g frag tank because I always have so many frags, plus it's a great tank for corals to use for recovery. Sigh...

Lol I am definitely downsizing by getting a bigger tank. I may use the IM25 as a frag tank but I also made a nice sized spot in my sump for frags and would just need to add a wavemaker. So may just go that route.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You know you want that tank LOL!

I had a older maxspect gyre and it was 'ok' - the parts wore out on it fast and it was a huge nightmare to clean. Hopefully the newest ones are better.

If I go $$$$ on a pump I am looking at tunze or octo pulse. The nero would need a cage to keep fish and snails out and the magnet is weak so thats a pass unless they fix those problems.

The nero is fine and my snails eat around it all the time 😛 fish have to be pretty tiny for them to pass through.

I know there are magnet stories but there are a lot of success stories with the nero. I'm a fan 100%. Will buy another one if I upgrade 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Matteo said:

The nero is fine and my snails eat around it all the time 😛 fish have to be pretty tiny for them to pass through.

I know there are magnet stories but there are a lot of success stories with the nero. I'm a fan 100%. Will buy another one if I upgrade 

Nope nope nope... I see way to many stories of people losing fish to them on reef2reef... like a 9 page thread! Not even chancing it, some of my fish were like $100!! They do make a 3d printer guard for it I saw which I considered but it can't go with me on large rimless with thick glass. Maybe if they make a newer version of it with a better magnet. First gens always fall short in some areas. Not sure if it has a battery backup but not sure if octopulse or tunze does either, I would need something with one to replace the vortechs.

Octopulse and tunze works with apex so thats a huge plus in their favor since I am running apex. 

But Jebao's are cheaper and seem to be getting the job done 😛

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Nope nope nope... I see way to many stories of people losing fish to them on reef2reef... like a 9 page thread! Not even chancing it, some of my fish were like $100!! They do make a 3d printer guard for it I saw which I considered but it can't go with me on large rimless with thick glass. Maybe if they make a newer version of it with a better magnet. First gens always fall short in some areas. Not sure if it has a battery backup but not sure if octopulse or tunze does either, I would need something with one to replace the vortechs.

Octopulse and tunze works with apex so thats a huge plus in their favor since I am running apex. 

But Jebao's are cheaper and seem to be getting the job done 😛

Eh I love mine 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Lol I am definitely downsizing by getting a bigger tank. I may use the IM25 as a frag tank but I also made a nice sized spot in my sump for frags and would just need to add a wavemaker. So may just go that route.

I converted my sump to a frag tank for a few months.  Loved the convenience and stability, but ended up getting algae all over the sump and on the equipments so abandoned the idea.  May try it again though....

10 hours ago, Matteo said:

The Nero is slick looking but sooo expensive.  I will need 2 for my reefer so that's $500!  

Maxspect Gyre 330 just dropped from $299 to $239 this morning.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Nero. I have two on my 36in tank. I have only had them for a little while and only have one fish at the moment. I saw complaints of fish getting stuck and I just don’t understand how it can happen to a healthy fish. Unless you turn the pump off and a fish sits inside. Obviously you should check the before turning it back on. 

They are very quiet and easy to set up. Usually I don’t buy first gen stuff but I wanted to try it out. So far so good. I almost got the Gyre 330. If you get one Id love to hear how it works out for you. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Another vote for the Nero. I have two on my 36in tank. I have only had them for a little while and only have one fish at the moment. I saw complaints of fish getting stuck and I just don’t understand how it can happen to a healthy fish. Unless you turn the pump off and a fish sits inside. Obviously you should check the before turning it back on. 

They are very quiet and easy to set up. Usually I don’t buy first gen stuff but I wanted to try it out. So far so good. I almost got the Gyre 330. If you get one Id love to hear how it works out for you. 

What I love about the Gyre is that I only needed one for my 4 foot tank and virtually no dead spots.  However, I don't like how big the gyre is and it stands out a lot mounted to one side of the tank.  With the two jebao, I can almost hide them as they blend into the black back wall.  But there's definitely more dead spots when running the jebaos.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Ya I don't get it either but there are so many complaints about it, on forums and BRS reviews. I don't see this being said in such frequency about other pumps. 

The thought about my fish maybeeeee getting blendered.... 

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

100% agree. A healthy fish will not end up in a powerhead. From what I have seen and read any fish that gets sucked up wasn't doing great to begin with. 

For $250 the pump is truly top of the market at 3,000gph for its tiny Puck size. And omg I can never tell if it's on. The thing is dead silent. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

What I love about the Gyre is that I only needed one for my 4 foot tank and virtually no dead spots.  However, I don't like how big the gyre is and it stands out a lot mounted to one side of the tank.  With the two jebao, I can almost hide them as they blend into the black back wall.  But there's definitely more dead spots when running the jebaos.  

The gyres I think are sooooo ugly and the clog easily 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gyres are very unfun to clean!!! They still have dead spots too. You almost need one on each side alternating.

I do think its BS when someone says their TANG got stuck to a nero 5, it is a tang, come on? I mostly just worry for my pygmy filefish as I have seen them struggle when they get too close to my Jebao's and my green banded gobies because I have sucked them up more than once when just trying to do a water change and they get curious. 

• Like 3