ReefCleaners.org

205g Peninsula

jabeuy

New shot of the tank:

23165035251_f1a7ce8bcf_c.jpgIMG_20151118_124332 by JB Uy, on Flickr

Skimmer skimming:

22735085318_31fe9cfffd_c.jpgIMG_20151118_085541 by JB Uy, on Flickr

I put some carbon in filter socks and I feel it really cleared up the water. It's my first time using carbon, definitely sticking with it now haha.

A buddy of mine had an old Cadlights skimmer, under-rated for this tank, but it's been skimming pretty well.

I also got 3 lemon chromis and a kole tang. The kole tang won't eat nori, and hides away when I feed pellets. So I took a chance and put some of my GHA infested rocks from the sump into the display. Come back the next day and the rocks are spotless! Either the kole tang ate the algae, or the urchin I have in there ate it haha.

Ooh, also gonna be lighting this with AI Hydra 26 HDs. For now, I'll be getting two of them, then we'll see if the tank needs more.

• Like 3

Me either, but I am getting seduced by the dark side! Can't resist all the sps for sale on GTAAquaria!

Hahaha, I hear you!

Earlier in the year I bought a monti frag pack from Fragcave, the colors were too nice to resist lol. They've all grown a bunch since then, they're just not doing it for me. I couldn't maintain their colors, and they don't move!

Hahaha, I hear you!

Earlier in the year I bought a monti frag pack from Fragcave, the colors were too nice to resist lol. They've all grown a bunch since then, they're just not doing it for me. I couldn't maintain their colors, and they don't move!

Yeah, I got a branching monti frag right now, and it's polyp extension aren't the best, so colour isn't there. I might try a birdsnest as that seems to be the next easiest sps. Problem is that I'm not into dosing and monitoring things. Just consistent water changes. Maybe sps aren't made for people like me.

I went to Fragcave a couple of times, so dangerous cus he takes credit! lol

• Like 1

Yeah, I got a branching monti frag right now, and it's polyp extension aren't the best, so colour isn't there. I might try a birdsnest as that seems to be the next easiest sps. Problem is that I'm not into dosing and monitoring things. Just consistent water changes. Maybe sps aren't made for people like me.

birdsnest should be pretty easy to keep. My wife got a small frag without knowing what it was, grew pretty quickly under some marineland lights, nothing special. It actually did better on the bottom of 18in tank than near the top.

• Like 1

birdsnest should be pretty easy to keep. My wife got a small frag without knowing what it was, grew pretty quickly under some marineland lights, nothing special. It actually did better on the bottom of 18in tank than near the top.

Cool! How much flow does it need? Should I place it in front of the mp10, or beneath it where it just gets the undertow current?

Cool! How much flow does it need? Should I place it in front of the mp10, or beneath it where it just gets the undertow current?

Had mine in a spot with indirect flow on it, seemed to work well for it. It got knocked off the frag rack it was on and stung by the hammer coral it fell on, was completely dead in 2 days. Just keep it away from other aggressive corals.

• Like 1

Do you ever measure your alkalinity? I haven't dosed anything since I moved to this bigger tank, and before that I was sporadically dosing manually lol.

Do you ever measure your alkalinity? I haven't dosed anything since I moved to this bigger tank, and before that I was sporadically dosing manually lol.

I haven't measured alk yet.. I should, thanks for the kick in the butt! My crappy api test kits are pretty old, so not sure if they are any good. :P This is the worse part of the hobby for me--water chemistry.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of cleaned up the electrical stuff under the stand. Cables on some things are so short, that I have my apex stuff on one side, and my lights and gyre stuff on the other side. It's as clean as I could get it, just don't have it in me to make it look really neat haha. Also tried to get it as safe as possible with all the wires with drip loops and electrical stuff elevated facing away from the sump. Could still use some work.

23498402115_a412dbe135_c.jpg2015-11-28 13.20.26

23130421109_4b47a0ff5c_c.jpg2015-11-28 13.20.12

22871241763_116d7da8a9_c.jpg2015-11-28 13.20.04

23472256036_d4a21327b5_c.jpg2015-11-29 17.00.25

Also got some caulerpa to put in the refugium. I'm running the lights 23 hours a day, and so far it's been keeping the display looking clean. Display could also be looking clean b/c of the Kole tang and urchin. The tang doesn't eat when I feed, but I've seen it poop a lot lol.

22871239123_01fdb9abd7_c.jpg2015-12-01 17.45.04

Some shots of the tank under white lights (ooh, also have 2 AI Hydra HDs on there now):

23498398025_dd402277d1_c.jpg2015-12-02 17.53.32 by JB Uy, on Flickr

23202629620_157a09df82_c.jpg2015-12-02 17.53.49

23472251486_d64cdd92b2_c.jpg2015-12-02 17.53.46

22870080094_5df51a2bc9_c.jpg2015-12-02 17.53.28

23472253956_d0174706fa_c.jpg2015-12-02 17.53.23

22871238613_7d9a88f227_c.jpg2015-12-02 17.53.18

• Like 4

How do you like the HD's? I'm running T5 right now, but am considering going to LED and was looking at a 52 HD, but have been having a hard time really finding any reviews or first hand experience.

How do you like the HD's? I'm running T5 right now, but am considering going to LED and was looking at a 52 HD, but have been having a hard time really finding any reviews or first hand experience.

Yeah they're pretty new still so not much reviews. I had a prime on a smaller tank, and really liked the color and control, so I went with these since they're almost just 2 primes put together.

So far they're great, but it's only been 2 weeks and I only have montis for SPS.

Love the very zen look of this tank it looks so simple from the outside. Then you see the whats under the base and its a beast. will be following this tank. :D

• Like 1

Just found your thread here on N-R. Man, now I wish I'd gone by your office yesterday to look at the Mitras, even though I was no longer in the market, just to look at the tank...

Just found your thread here on N-R. Man, now I wish I'd gone by your office yesterday to look at the Mitras, even though I was no longer in the market, just to look at the tank...

Haha, that was you? Any luck finding a tank? Just sold the mitras today, could've been yours ;)

• 1 month later...

Tank looks great so far. Once the rock fills out with coral and coraline,it'll look even better

Might not get much coralline, I have an urchin eating it all!

Got a blue hippo and blonde naso tang!

24257007661_de4ff94bca_c.jpg

24043927660_39460c74ac_c.jpg

23712696013_edde217dee_c.jpg

Overhead view:

24339503355_5d13bdbeb6_c.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice- how much is that tank evaporating a week?

The condensation looks really bad on the eurobrace eh? Haha

I don't have an exact number, but I have a 44g Brute bin for an ATO and so far it gets near empty at around the 2 week mark. So I can only guess that it's evaporating 20g a week.

Also depends on the weather here, during the fall (when the tank was first set up) the humidity in the office was hovering around 45%. Now in the winter, it's just above 30%, so the air is really dry and the tank is evaporating more.

• Like 1