Cultivated Reef

205g Peninsula

jabeuy

I might be missing something but Couldn't you just run a skimmate locker for easy emptying, and then only remove the cup for deep cleaning ?

Yeah, that's what I would have done. It's funny, I actually lost the drain plug on the collection cup, so that would've been my only option.

The problem is, this particular skimmer needs 6-6.5" water level. I have 3 chambers in my sump: the 1st has a water level of 10", the 2nd has 9", the return chamber I can mess around with, but it's just too small for the skimmer lol. And I can't raise the skimmer on a mount of since it would be hitting the ceiling of the stand.

Oh well, I don't think I'd need a skimmer for the near future anyway. I only have 3 fish!

That tank is awesome. I love everything about it, from the dimensions to the stand. I think it was a good idea to go with a peninsula.

Just out of curiosity what is that room the tank is in? Is it some kind of bussiness or your home?

Thanks, it's in an office

• Like 1

Fill the display tank!

22883155525_129510ce0d_c.jpg2015-11-08 17.53.58 by JB Uy, on Flickr

22869690392_0909ee9d57_c.jpg2015-11-08 17.53.52 by JB Uy, on Flickr

22262013803_8987268060_c.jpg2015-11-08 17.53.45 by JB Uy, on Flickr

I made an electronics board to mount power bars, apex, etc.

22490998079_03669d22d9_c.jpg2015-11-08 16.25.41 by JB Uy, on Flickr

22260413394_0262da9329_c.jpg2015-11-08 16.25.46 by JB Uy, on Flickr

Not sure how to set this up permanently, right now it's just resting against some boxes.

I wanna keep the electronic stuff facing away from the sump to keep splashes out, and humidity out somewhat. Right now it looks to be the in perfect spot, but that's where my ATO reservoir was supposed to go! If I end up keeping it as is, my ATO would shrink to only hold 25g. I don't even know how much evaporation I'll have/

• Like 4

I evaporate just about 10% a week. 25 gallons should be a lot... Im guessing 2 weeks.

Could you have an reservoir located somewhere else and run the tubing to the tank? That would clear up the stand a lot.

• Like 1

I might be missing something but Couldn't you just run a skimmate locker for easy emptying, and then only remove the cup for deep cleaning ?

would have never thought of that. awesome idea.

I evaporate just about 10% a week. 25 gallons should be a lot... Im guessing 2 weeks.

Could you have an reservoir located somewhere else and run the tubing to the tank? That would clear up the stand a lot.

Hey that's a great idea, didn't even think of that.

I have a small sink and are with my fish stuff out back, and thought of routing RO tubing over the ceiling and through walls to refill the ATO, but not to actually pump into the tank. A remote ATO reservoir would work really well, thanks!

How are you feeling on the scape? Remember you've got a few weeks you can play with it for no penalty. Personally, I might remove some of the rock.

I really like it :) I usually like minimalist scapes, so I was surprised I liked this so much.

Was lucky to have the LFS owner I ordered the tank from, come in and do the rocks for me.

For some reason, it doesn't show as well in pictures. In real life, there's so much going on: caves, coves, arches, ledges. Lots of places for corals. I enjoyed just looking at a box of rocks haha.

But I did mess up a few sections of the rock as the tank filled. Guess that's what happens when you jet stream 1000+gph of water straight at your rockwork lol.

• Like 1

I've just set one of these up on a water bottle I can fill quickly and easily.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161682328816?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You could plumb it directly into the RO feed and not have the worry of float switches failing or the expense of an ATO system to begin with. It's pretty much fit and forget.

Yeah, a float valve.

One issue with that, is your RODI unit would be frequently making small batches of water which I've read is bad (TDS creep, etc.).

I'll be installing a float valve into my reservoir and anywhere else I need to fill with RODI though. I've overflowed my buckets a couple of times...

I really like it :) I usually like minimalist scapes, so I was surprised I liked this so much.

Was lucky to have the LFS owner I ordered the tank from, come in and do the rocks for me.

For some reason, it doesn't show as well in pictures. In real life, there's so much going on: caves, coves, arches, ledges. Lots of places for corals. I enjoyed just looking at a box of rocks haha.

But I did mess up a few sections of the rock as the tank filled. Guess that's what happens when you jet stream 1000+gph of water straight at your rockwork lol.

If you're in love, that's the most important thing!

• Like 1

I'm not plumbed into my supply, I didn't fancy running a pipe all the way round the room, it's just a bottle above the level of the sump using a gravity feed. No reason you couldn't set up a large container remotely above the sump level with a float valve in the sump. Like Harry said it would free up cabinet space.

• Like 1

If you're in love, that's the most important thing!

Definitely!

He didn't use glue, and Im gonna try to not glue down any corals. Should make for easy rescapes in the tank's future.

With all the free space at the end of the cabinet you could use an external skimmer. Would give you extra room in the sump and make for easier access for maintenance and avoid the water height issue.

If you ran the skimmer you have at the minute with a drain from the cup you'd probably find you'd need an auto neck cleaner to keep the thing skimming well and that would need more height again.

With all the free space at the end of the cabinet you could use an external skimmer. Would give you extra room in the sump and make for easier access for maintenance and avoid the water height issue.

If you ran the skimmer you have at the minute with a drain from the cup you'd probably find you'd need an auto neck cleaner to keep the thing skimming well and that would need more height again.

Yep, an external would work if I have my ATO reservoir some other place. Another option could be a recirculating skimmer?

Mikeymikemike

Very nice set up

May I suggest you incorporate more negative space rather than a big huge wall. You can take advantage of the 3 sides of viewing. I would remove some of the rocks in the middle bridge as well as the outside and use them to build up some height towards the back wall.

Awesome stuff you have and keep us updated!

Very nice set up

May I suggest you incorporate more negative space rather than a big huge wall. You can take advantage of the 3 sides of viewing. I would remove some of the rocks in the middle bridge as well as the outside and use them to build up some height towards the back wall.

Awesome stuff you have and keep us updated!

I'm definitely gonna be moving rocks around since I'm a fan of minimal scapes. I'll stick with this for the time being, I just wanna get fish in there!

Here's what I had before. It looks better from afar, but the current tank has cool caves and stuff going on lol.

22493801429_a587a62202_c.jpgab87c7bb0032b389cf5962c730612c35 by JB Uy, on Flickr

Awesome tank. Cannot wait to follow this one. Really cool looking office too. May I ask what you do for a living?

Thanks! I'm in software.

I want to work there!! What an awesome looking tank!

Are they letting you do whatever you want with it?

Yup, I'm the only one that knows about reef tanks lol.

• Like 2

Yep, an external would work if I have my ATO reservoir some other place. Another option could be a recirculating skimmer?

My tank is a tiny 75g compared to your monster, but I've just gotten my hands on a Hydor recirculating skimmer and it's great.

Think there are several multi pump recirculators that don't stand to tall that should work well for you.

• Like 1

Moved over the contents of the old tank today.

My old live rock, I put into the sump. Also decided to throw a light over it...keep that GHA going. My fuge lol.

I'm no longer gonna be using the Mitras, they're just up there temporarily. Great coverage with 2 units though, albeit 18" over the tank.

Also gonna be putting a canopy over this. One of the reasons for moving away from the Mitras (have read they are not meant for closed spaces).

What lights would you guys put over this tank?

22329011813_cdb859a9ed_c.jpg2015-11-11 13.46.34 by JB Uy, on Flickr

22950155875_dc7c20e07f_c.jpg2015-11-11 14.42.32 by JB Uy, on Flickrr

22762141770_0c5c59a1dd_c.jpg2015-11-11 14.42.35 by JB Uy, on Flickr

• Like 3