Justin Fox's Nuvo 16

justinfox

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sixline.jpg

I have a Six Line Wrasse!!!

nuvo16.jpgFTS.

I've always been curious about owning one, so I made the call to look for one and when I dropped in to Aquaristic (my fave local fish store) the guys had a new fish delivery and were just floating bags in their tanks. I asked Dave if there was anything awesome in the batch and he mentioned that he had an awesome Six Line Wrasse! What a coincidence! It was meant to be, right?!

Turns out this wrasse is more colourful than what the guys at the shop are used to. He's got a really bright top fin, which you only see when he displays (or yawns lol!).

He's awesome and has settled into the Nuvo 16 nicely. My rockwork has a LOT of caves and he's constantly swimming through the holes, super cool to watch (he's also demolishing all the pods on the glass!).

12096214_1041013365943167_53129802479260

12079428_1041013379276499_81501581734952

In other news: Holy shit! Zen Garage (my company) logos feature as stickers you can put on your cars in the new Need For Speed (coming out next month)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to share! I'm so happy!!!!!!!

Damn that's ####ing awesome about NFS, I'm actually really excited for that game. I used to love NFS back in the day, and the mod options seem amazing. Does that mean you're getting a free copy of the game? lol

Scape looks great now, and that is a nice looking 6line. I'm jealous of almost everything you have.

Question guys; so I have a Six Line Wrasse in my Nuvo 16. He's the only fish in there right now along with 2 ghost shrimp (which try to attack him when he comes close to them but the shrimp are way too weak and slow to catch him).

I'd like to add another fish, or even another 2 maybe, but since I've added the Six Line first I'm now expecting trouble!!!

Any suggestions on more tank mates which might have a better chance of gelling with my Six Line? I was thinking of:

- Dottyback (always wanted one but been scared of their aggressive nature, it swims through rockwork like the Six Line too though).

- Some sort of Damsel.

- Some sort of Blenny.

- Some sort of Goby.

The Six Line loves swimming through the rockwork, so I was hoping to find a surface/top dwelling fish, and also one more bottom/substrate dwelling fish.

jedimasterben

Any suggestions on more tank mates which might have a better chance of gelling with my Six Line?

Starcki damsel, Chrysiptera starcki

IMG_1585.jpg

jedimasterben

YES! Gorgeous fish!!!

they are! They're also not quite as aggressive as the Dascyllus damsels (like three stripe, domino, etc), but for the chrysiptera genus they are some of the more aggressive ones, but with the sixline, it will do very well and hold its own :)

miaphotobomb-509x1024.jpg

Nuvo makes another cameo appearance, but Mia really steals the show this time! Jealous, attention seeking, she's always photobombing my photoshoots!

Love when you update this thread man, everything about it is so perfect. Also, holy sh*t about NFS.. I was hoping to bad to get in on the Beta but didn't :'( Can't wait though!!!!

I'll probably be pulling a sick day when it releases hahaha

Nice six-line :). I have always been wary of them because I have seen that most end up being dicks lol. Have you considered split fin/thread fin cardinals? They should be fairly readily available and have a striking silver colouration with blue and orange/yellow highlights.

Really cool about NFS Justin! I have been a huge fan of NFS for years but none of them I have enjoyed as much as NFSU2. Really looks like they are going back to their roots with this one, really cool that they are featuring the likes on Ken Block, Magnus Walker and Nakai-san also. I can't wait!

Love when you update this thread man, everything about it is so perfect. Also, holy sh*t about NFS.. I was hoping to bad to get in on the Beta but didn't :'( Can't wait though!!!!

I'll probably be pulling a sick day when it releases hahaha

Haha! Cheers man! And yeah I'm SO pumped about NFS! I'm so over the moon. I've been smiling for days!

Nice six-line :). I have always been wary of them because I have seen that most end up being dicks lol. Have you considered split fin/thread fin cardinals? They should be fairly readily available and have a striking silver colouration with blue and orange/yellow highlights.

Really cool about NFS Justin! I have been a huge fan of NFS for years but none of them I have enjoyed as much as NFSU2. Really looks like they are going back to their roots with this one, really cool that they are featuring the likes on Ken Block, Magnus Walker and Nakai-san also. I can't wait!

Have seen those cardinals at the LFS! Very nice fish! Today I collected a few hermit crabs. I put them into the frag tank for now, but I put one of them into the Nuvo and the Six Line has been harassing it. So I can see how he's going to be a tough fish to find tankmates for!

Wrasses in general will pick small crustaceans and inverts off of rocks, its what they do in the wild. Some species are more susceptible to this and are classified as 'not reef safe'. I never had a issue with 'reef safe' wrasses harassing hermits though. Although, there is an exception to every rule. Perhaps swap the hermits into another tank temporarily and try a few different snails?

sicce_nuvo16.jpg

Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 Pump (357 GPH).

Upgraded the stock (211 GPH) pump to a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 Pump (357 GPH). It was a direct swap, but one hose isn't quite long enough so the pump doesn't quite touch the bottom of the tank (it just floats). I'll eventually either get a longer bit of hose, or prop the pump up on something.

So much more flow than before. Evident as soon as I switched the pump on for the first time. Does not kick up the sand at all (and I have very fine grain sand), all good!

How much more quite is the 1.5 compared to the stock pump.

It's louder (my stock pump was quiet!), but quieter today than last night!

Archived