Pod Your Reef

Why is it so expensive :(

nanoreefer15

Invest correctly. Grow corals. Frag. Profit.

This is one of the only legal hobbies that can pay for or itself.

I am sure we can dig up some S&C media baskets if you are interested.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The IM tanks might be pretty and low iron glass but the Aqueon $1 tanks are great tanks but you are paying a whole lot for that prettiness. If money is that big of a deal get a 20L from petco drill it and put the money towards a sump.

If you have a good lfs that actually knows what they are doing and takes care of their stuff you can get RO there. But I'd still get a TDS meter and double check it every batch you get.

Those two things right there will save you a few hundred.

And if you are paying $10 for a lb of live rock you need to find somewhere else to shop

Personally, I ran a rimless tank for a while, sleek, curved glass AIO etc. It was ok, held water, fish, and corals. Lost the rimless effect right off the bat as I had to build a screen top to keep fish from jumping. AIO chambers got old as they were oddly sized and ate up too much of the tanks real estate. In retrospect I wish I would have spent 250 less dollars and went with the standard 20L. Nice dimensions, rimmed to hide the screen top, more real estate etc. Bottom line is, I spent 300 bucks on an 18 gallon tank I used for 6 months before I got tired of the dimensions and upgraded. That tank sat in my basement for another year as I couldn't sell it, and finally last week during a construction accident got cracked and ended up in the garbage.

I know it's hard to do, but try to think long term. A cheaper 20 g tank may be a good way to start (as mentioned before) to see if you like the hobby, like the smaller tanks, can keep up with the maintenance, and honestly afford the hobby. Salt, water etc is "cheap" but it adds up. Fish and corals aren't necessarily cheap, the electric bills will increase etc. start slow, do it right and make sure you enjoy it before diving in with all the bells and whistles

Lol if your parents don't like used stuff tell them to just buy you all the new stuff then. Or literally save pennies and hop on Craigslist for a used setup and then ask them for a kessil for Christmas. IMHO all the fancy ass light and tanks are cool and all but if you don't even know how to take care of a cheaper not so elegant setup then what's the point? Grab a cheap setup learn everything about it then upgrade to nice stuff when you get a chill job

Be happy you live in America in the uk everything is 20-50% more depending on what it is. A radion is like $900 in uk money. Use the Chinese shit too I'm 16 and run my tank on a budget

Bro. Come onnnnnnnnn. My 30L is better than any petco tank I've ever had and I've had a lot.

No it isn't. A 40 breeder beats that pants off that tank any day haha. The IM tanks are just poor manufacturing. Good concept but I wouldn't trust them after all the horror stories.

No it isn't. A 40 breeder beats that pants off that tank any day haha. The IM tanks are just poor manufacturing. Good concept but I wouldn't trust them after all the horror stories.

Bingo. There is a reason 40 breeders are so popular. I've had my 40 breeder up and running for 4 years now and the thing has been rock solid.

My first tank was immensely successful on a budget. I had a 15 gallon AGA tank (now Aqueon), an Emperor 280 filter (positioned on the side to send the water down the length of the tank), a stealth heater, and a 65W Power Compact for the light. Using that I kept softies, LPS, and a Monti Cap for years. If I had to do a minimal budget tank today I'd get another 15 gallon aqueon tank ($15)with a AquaClear 70 filter ($50), an inTank media basket as a way of hiding the heater ($50, but optional. You can DIY yourself something like this), a heater ($40), and a d120 chinese LED off ebay for ~$100. I'd keep LPS, zoas, and a single, hearty SPS (like a Monti spongesodes or capicornis) and a single, mean fish like a pseudochromis. My first optional purchases would be an Auto-top off and an RO/DI for about $100 each and a refractometer for $40. A Jebao RW-4 would also be a reasonable purchase for $50. Don't like the look of your light, filter, and tank? Buy some painters tape and a can of krylon fusion paint and you can have a unique tank. If you don't want equipment showing you can build an all-in-one style compartment instead of the AquaClear filter and media basket.

That is a total of $255 for baseline equipment. Add in $20 for sand, $20-40 for rocks, and a few dollars for a test kit off a local reef forum and you'll be in business. $290 for optional equipment that you can buy as you go would make your life better, but are not necessary.

A 40B has awesome dimensions, that said, I've taken apart 2 aqueon 40Bs and 1 Tetra 40B and they were all built like complete and utter dog$hit. The glass was uneven, one side would have a larger gap between panes than the other, the top glass was taller than the sides, tank wasnt square etc. Along with other tanks made by aqueon 75g, 30L and a 20L, they all have the same issues of not putting tanks together sloppy, while it probably doesn't affect the integrity of the tank, still though, built like crap.

IM tanks are known for leaks, cracks, and water on the floor.

I'd honestly trust an Aqueon tank over an IM tank any day

About 2 months or so ago it seemed like every time I got NR someone was talking about how their tank cracked. I think it was 3 different IM tank fails in one week. Crazy.

All these guys have read stories from the old Nuvo's with rounded corners. It's fear mongering and brand hate realistically rofl. I've had three different IM FUSIONS and they have all been amazing tanks, and are just plug and play. Drilling a 40B, plumbing it, lighting it, all seems like a bit much for somebody new to the hobby. And not to mention lighting a 40 breeder is pricey, I know.. I've had one, multiple actually.

Do your research on the new Innovative Marine FUSIONS, and don't believe all the hate around here. People read 2-3 horror stories from poorly designed tanks from the PAST and never let go.

All these guys have read stories from the old Nuvo's with rounded corners. It's fear mongering and brand hate realistically rofl. I've had three different IM FUSIONS and they have all been amazing tanks, and are just plug and play. Drilling a 40B, plumbing it, lighting it, all seems like a bit much for somebody new to the hobby. And not to mention lighting a 40 breeder is pricey, I know.. I've had one, multiple actually.

Do your research on the new Innovative Marine FUSIONS, and don't believe all the hate around here. People read 2-3 horror stories from poorly designed tanks from the PAST and never let go.

Don't get butt hurt because your brand of choice has had some quality issues. Most of us are saying No on IM from a price point. He wants cheaper, IM isn't going to be the deliverer of that. Most AIO are not going to be the deliverer on that.

Don't get butt hurt because your brand of choice has had some quality issues. Most of us are saying No on IM from a price point. He wants cheaper, IM isn't going to be the deliverer of that. Most AIO are not going to be the deliverer on that.

No butt hurt here. He said he wants pretty, not standard. I really dislike the term butt hurt, like, I'm pretty sure I made a pretty friendly comment, so don't say I'm butt hurt. It's ####ing annoying and now I am just a little annoyed.

IM is even less cheap when you consider the price of upgrading the anemic stock pump and those uselessly small media baskets they include.

Back to the point though. Buy what you want man, if you want pretty get an IM. If you want cheap get a Petco tank and read up on how to drill properly etc.

I would just find a Biocube as they're typically cheaper, and all inclusive.

I built my 40 breeder to be aio easily with a petco 40 breeder acrylic and aquarium silicone. Under $115.

Lighting one isn't much different from a 30 L as they are same length and not much different on other dimmensions.

I built my 40 breeder to be aio easily with a petco 40 breeder acrylic and aquarium silicone. Under $115.

Lighting one isn't much different from a 30 L as they are same length and not much different on other dimmensions.

BINGO.

Ya the Fusions might not have glass problems but they have crappy return pumps. Crappy media baskets and I swear I read about 2 months ago about the AIO portion falling apart on a few.

Thanks again for all the support! You're all extremely reassuring and have helped me tremendously.

Ok, so down to the new decisions:

Tank: A lot of you seem to have a negative opinion on IM tanks, like their crappy build on the chambers, baskets, return pumps, etc. which has pretty much scared me away from that idea. It seems way to expensive now when I have to upgrade everything on it to make it decent when I can use that money elsewhere as a beginner. So, right now I'm between a 20g long Aqueon/Tetra tank or a 12g Mr. Aqua long tank (looks prettier and sleeker. But because of how so many of you have suggested for me to go with the cheaper one because I'm a beginner (not 100% sure what I want to do in the future/if I would want to change things), I'm leaning heavily towards the 20g long.

Filtration: 'm thinking an AC 50 or 70 like many of you have suggested with an inTank media basket upgrade. Quick question though, which size do you think would be better?

Live Rock/Sand: I'm trying to look around for someone to possibly donate to me/buy from, but I'm not really finding anything. So I'm thinking just buying mostly new dry rock and seeding with some live rock.

Circulation: Hydor Koralia 425 or evolution 600, or if I can find someone offering a used one for sale

Refractometer: Probably one from amazon but will continue to look for equipment sellings

Now I still need help deciding between these two options. Should I

-spend my money on a Kessil a160we and buy water from my LFS separately, or

-spend my money on a RODI system and salt to make my saltwater myself, and buy a cheap light

So I'm pretty confident now about what I'd like to do (other than those few things) and I can't thank everyone here enough! :)

I'd go with the AC70, just because it's bigger. Id also look at something like a jebao rw4 or wp10 because although water movement is important random water flow is better. I'm not sure an a160we is going to give you the spread you'll want/need for a 20g long, I have a 20x20 and I'm even hesitant on it. Reef breeders has a nice nano light that would work really well for you.

I'd go with the AC70, just because it's bigger. Id also look at something like a jebao rw4 or wp10 because although water movement is important random water flow is better. I'm not sure an a160we is going to give you the spread you'll want/need for a 20g long, I have a 20x20 and I'm even hesitant on it. Reef breeders has a nice nano light that would work really well for you.

I would agree with this. Look at the rw4 by jebao, nice small pump, lots of flow, and adjustable settings to do different things. reefbreeders makes a decent light as well. I use one over my 75 and have had great results.

Thanks again for all the support! You're all extremely reassuring and have helped me tremendously.

Ok, so down to the new decisions:

Tank: A lot of you seem to have a negative opinion on IM tanks, like their crappy build on the chambers, baskets, return pumps, etc. which has pretty much scared me away from that idea. It seems way to expensive now when I have to upgrade everything on it to make it decent when I can use that money elsewhere as a beginner. So, right now I'm between a 20g long Aqueon/Tetra tank or a 12g Mr. Aqua long tank (looks prettier and sleeker. But because of how so many of you have suggested for me to go with the cheaper one because I'm a beginner (not 100% sure what I want to do in the future/if I would want to change things), I'm leaning heavily towards the 20g long.

Filtration: 'm thinking an AC 50 or 70 like many of you have suggested with an inTank media basket upgrade. Quick question though, which size do you think would be better?

Live Rock/Sand: I'm trying to look around for someone to possibly donate to me/buy from, but I'm not really finding anything. So I'm thinking just buying mostly new dry rock and seeding with some live rock.

Circulation: Hydor Koralia 425 or evolution 600, or if I can find someone offering a used one for sale

Refractometer: Probably one from amazon but will continue to look for equipment sellings

Now I still need help deciding between these two options. Should I

-spend my money on a Kessil a160we and buy water from my LFS separately, or

-spend my money on a RODI system and salt to make my saltwater myself, and buy a cheap light

So I'm pretty confident now about what I'd like to do (other than those few things) and I can't thank everyone here enough! :)

I'd go with the RODI and buy a reefbreeder or something cheap. Mixing your own water will save money in the long run and you won't have to drive to the LFS every week. BTW where do you live? Donations would be easier if you were nearby and could pickup things.

I would agree with this. Look at the rw4 by jebao, nice small pump, lots of flow, and adjustable settings to do different things. reefbreeders makes a decent light as well. I use one over my 75 and have had great results.

Ok thanks, I'll look at the pumps and the reefbreeder. I was also leaning toward the 70. One question though, does the light give a blue shimmer effect like the Kessil?

I'd go with the RODI and buy a reefbreeder or something cheap. Mixing your own water will save money in the long run and you won't have to drive to the LFS every week. BTW where do you live? Donations would be easier if you were nearby and could pickup things.

Thanks, seems like most people recommend the reefbreeder. Also having a RODI system would make everything a lot easier. I live in NJ btw.

Archived