ReefCleaners.org

GTi's 10 Gallon IM NUVO Fusion

GTi

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a nice gorg. Where'd you get it?

It was at a local frag swap. The vendor assured me it is photosynthetic which surprised me for such a colorful Gorgonian. I've had it about a month and haven't deliberately fed it but it seems happy enough so far.

What's local for you? I'm in Michigan. Thought I saw you were too.

I didn't know you were nearby. It was the recent swap in Flint. The vendor was aznnutty. I think he's going to the Centerline swap on the 11th. He doesn't have a website but apparently he's on Facebook and does some sales that way. I have a business card somewhere I can look for if you need the details.

I couldn't make it to Flint but I'd like to make it to centerline if possible. Nice to know there might be quality stuff there.

Definitely worth it if you can go. Some vendors will take preorders. It's hard to stick to a budget, though!

Brief update.

I changed the pump out for a Cobalt MJ600 and added a spinstream. At first the spinstream was quite noisy then after a few minutes it suddenly quietened down although I can still hear it chugging away. I can also hear the MJ even through I wrapped it with some of that nylon mesh stuff (I forget the name) before putting it in the tank.

With the increased flow, I removed the acrylic I glued to the rear of the return grate as it was putting the water level too high. I may put a revised version in place once I decide if I'm keeping the MJ in there or changing it for something else.

Got some diatoms on the rock and sand.

GSP is all opened up and the polyps are starting to elongate and color up. It's also spreading along its little island of rock.

The mesh is called enkamat. I had to look it up as it was bugging me! You can use it to quieten overflows but I thought I'd try wrapping the pump in it to prevent vibrations.

The mesh is called enkamat. I had to look it up as it was bugging me! You can use it to quieten overflows but I thought I'd try wrapping the pump in it to prevent vibrations.

Is the MJ vibrating against the glass or do you hear the hum of the pump itself?

It's a very low humming but the tank is on a side table right next to me. I think it's just the pump working but I might play around with it another time when I feel more patient!

• 2 weeks later...

The Yellow Polyp Gorgonian opened up so here's the last update of the day:

FullSizeRender_zpsb52aab3a.jpg

That is awesome looking. Thanks again for the frags they are all doing great!

• 2 months later...

That is a nice looking piece. I wonder how this tank has been doing. Any updates that anyone knows about?

Hi. I haven't been on here for a while - too busy at work and with everything else!

The gorg is starting to recede from the tips and base. I think it managed ok for a while but it is really non-photosynthetic and requires supplementary feeding. Planning to take it in to the LFS or for trade on my local forum. It's a pity.

Not much going on with the tank since the last updates. I wanted to do a Yuma garden and tried some from Reef Gardener and also from CGA but unfortunately, they all gradually dissolved. I have a Yuma from Lalani and that one is solid and gradually growing. Don't know why the others didn't make it.

The 2 RPE zoas are slowly disappearing.

The plate has lost a lot of its green highlights which is too bad because that's what made it look really good.

On the bright side, the amount of sludgy algae on the back wall and top of the rock is much less since the addition of a Tunze Turbelle 6040 from BRS during the Black Friday sale. This can go as low as 53 GPH which is nice because many flow pumps are too much for this tank.

Planning to add a few more zoas and some florida ricordea sometime soon.

There's a member on here with some cool macro algae and I have saved a spot on the top of the rock for a piece once he has enough to harvest.

Man, sorry to hear about your corals melting.. Maybe your lighting is too intense? My AI Prime doesn't go over 40% throughout the day, Im not sure what you have your lighting set for. My yuma is currently in indirect lighting and low flow, and doing ok.

But if things are turning brown you might have a nutrient problem, however I am sure you already know all this and looked into it.

Thank you for updating us anyway, I am sure things will turn around. This hobby can be great pleasure, but also great disappointment at times.. Ill have to look into that tune pump, I am always looking for backups. Is it silent?

Nutrients are low - no browning. I think lighting is definitely a factor but I tried the second set set of yumas in my mini frag tank which has much lower lighting. Lalani's yuma is in direct light and doing fine!

I was really frustrated with this tank for a while but it feels like it's turned the corner now!

The tunze is quiet but not silent. On pulse mode it's quite apparent!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice tank. Can you tell me what you have for media filtration? Measures and time to change it etc? Do you use a reactor? Thank you in advance.

Hi. I am using an InTank media basket with the blue and white floss on the top shelf and 2 nano bags of chemipure blue, one on each of the other shelves. No reactor. I also have a mangrove but I don't think that makes any significant contribution to water quality.

Changing the floss and chemipure is very simple. I rinse new media with RO water before installing. When the floss clogs a little, some of the water bypasses the media basket. Changing it twice a week prevents this. The upgraded return pump will be making this worse so I may revert to the stock pump as I am now getting the additional flow from a pump in the display.

The only fish is red firefish and we are careful not to overfeed him. I have a tailspot blenny and a couple of sexy shrimp in quarantine that I'll be adding to this tank next month. I also need to get some more coral but haven't seen any locally. Considering an order from Legendary Corals.

You're welcome! I change the bottom bag about once a month and then put the top bag to the bottom and the new bag at the top (if that makes sense). When I started, I just had one bag for the first couple of weeks as I heard it can strip the water of nutrients really quickly and shock the corals. The best way to determine change frequency is to monitor parameters and see when they start to rise but I'm a bit lazy about that!

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago I decided that for 6 months old, the tank was looking way too empty and needed more coral.

I tried several local stores and one way and another couldn't find any Ricordea, zoas or soft corals that I liked all at one place or at a decent price.
I looked up a few places online and none of my usual vendors had enough of what I wanted to make the shipping worthwhile. In the end I ordered a couple of Ricordea and a neon green Sinularia from Socalaquafarms on Ebay. Communication, packaging and corals were great and he also threw in 6 polyps of Bam Bams!
I need to get a daylight shot but here are a couple with the lights going down so there's a higher proportion of blue which the camera phone doesn't handle too well.
I also added in the 2 sexy shrimp and turbo from QT to the display. The shrimp seem to prefer the right side of the tank and have also been hanging out on the Sinularia. It retracted a bit at first but seems to be getting more used to them. The turbo has been eating some of the wispy hairs of algae that are widely spread over my live rock.

The Blenny is still in QT. He was due to go in to the main tank but a week or two ago I noticed his front dorsal fin was looking a bit tattered as was his tail. As there are only snails and 2 sexy shrimp in the QT, I thought bullying was unlikely and maybe it was disease. I'm keeping an eye on his fins now the shrimp are no longer in there. It hasn't got any worse and may be improving but it has been hard to get a really good look at him.

IMG_0705_zpsyvyeyqrz.jpg

IMG_0706_zpstecltxrf.jpg

Archived