SaltCritters.com

NanoGeek's JBJ RL 45!

NanoGeek

Water is even more cloudy today. Could the algea growth be causing this? I did a water change monday, ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 10.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also my cuc arrived today! Wow its alot of snails. Only problem is my pistol shrimp already grabbed 2 snails and drug them in his burrow, and my peppermint shrimp keeps trying to flip them all over! Im already tired of trying to turn them back over. Why is my 2 shrimps being so destructive and trying to kill everything?

I also just found this, already attempting suicide.......guess I have to put my glass lids on for now.

20150715_204215.jpg

My lfs mentioned I should probably get a uv sterilizer for the cloudiness. Ive found 2 nano ones online a 3w one from jbj and a 5w one from coralife. Will one of these be enough? Or would one jbj on each return pump do the job? Im actually unsure if I actually need something like this.

Also my cuc arrived today! Wow its alot of snails. Only problem is my pistol shrimp already grabbed 2 snails and drug them in his burrow, and my peppermint shrimp keeps trying to flip them all over! Im already tired of trying to turn them back over. Why is my 2 shrimps being so destructive and trying to kill everything?

I also just found this, already attempting suicide.......guess I have to put my glass lids on for now.

20150715_204215.jpg

My lfs mentioned I should probably get a uv sterilizer for the cloudiness. Ive found 2 nano ones online a 3w one from jbj and a 5w one from coralife. Will one of these be enough? Or would one jbj on each return pump do the job? Im actually unsure if I actually need something like this.

Cloudiness could be due to precipitation. What's your salinity and what are you using to test it? What salt? Elevated elements could be causing this because it's wanting to hit 'equillibrium.' When you mix your water, to whatever salinity, make sure your temperature matches your tank. I had a friend who mixed in the garage(90+ degrees) @1.026, then does a water change... the salinity rises @ 78. He was at 1.029. Colder water= more dense. A long while ago I had the issue with cloudy water(Red Sea Coral Pro Salt) and all that was needed was roll my bucket around on the floor because the heavier particles seperated from the smaller ones. This simple error caused so much cloudiniess, so check that as well. All of my order from Mr. Maloney are suicidal lol. So many snails. I just picked up a new CUC today. I can't answer the question on the sterilizer though i've never used one, or had to.

Cloudiness could be due to precipitation. What's your salinity and what are you using to test it? What salt? Elevated elements could be causing this because it's wanting to hit 'equillibrium.' When you mix your water, to whatever salinity, make sure your temperature matches your tank. I had a friend who mixed in the garage(90+ degrees) @1.026, then does a water change... the salinity rises @ 78. He was at 1.029. Colder water= more dense. A long while ago I had the issue with cloudy water(Red Sea Coral Pro Salt) and all that was needed was roll my bucket around on the floor because the heavier particles seperated from the smaller ones. This simple error caused so much cloudiniess, so check that as well. All of my order from Mr. Maloney are suicidal lol. So many snails. I just picked up a new CUC today. I can't answer the question on the sterilizer though i've never used one, or had to.

My salinity is 1.025, I use a refractometer calibrated to 35ppt with solution. Up to this point I have just been buying water from the lfs. I have always questioned any water from a lfs. I dont know what salt they use. This past monday my rodi filter was delivered. I still need to get it hooked up though, but from now on I will make my own water, inside the house with red sea coral pro salt. I keep my house at 75 degrees so I am going to pick up a cheap pump and heater for that so the temp does match. Thanks for the advice about rolling the bucket around.

Kind of wishing now I would have just picked out my own cuc. All of these small snails look terrible in my sandbed IMO. A few have burried themselves, maybe the rest will.

Think of it this way, those extra shells are for the others when they outgrow their current shell. I always keep my shells inside the tank. Sure it's not as pleasing to the eye, but it definitely imitates a 'real reef' I guess. Don't worry, give it time. When you first acclimimate and get them in the tank they're still shocked from shipping etc. They will bury themselves and come out at night. It'll work out I promise :P I always make my own water, majority do.

Think of it this way, those extra shells are for the others when they outgrow their current shell. I always keep my shells inside the tank. Sure it's not as pleasing to the eye, but it definitely imitates a 'real reef' I guess. Don't worry, give it time. When you first acclimimate and get them in the tank they're still shocked from shipping etc. They will bury themselves and come out at night. It'll work out I promise :P I always make my own water, majority do.

Im sure it will work out, if the pistol dont stock pile them all first. Hes all over the tank right now terrorizing them all. And the goby is right there with him. The peppermint shrimp is all over the florida ceriths, keeps flipping them over and digging inside their shells. Can they turn themselves back over?

HarryPotter

Im sure it will work out, if the pistol dont stock pile them all first. Hes all over the tank right now terrorizing them all. And the goby is right there with him. The peppermint shrimp is all over the florida ceriths, keeps flipping them over and digging inside their shells. Can they turn themselves back over?

Negative Ghost Rider. Sadly no

Dumb question so don't kill me. Are you feeding your shrimp (pepps and pistol)? If not, maybe toss them some food and they'll leave the snails alone.

So I just reached in and turned about 10 back over to give them one last chance for survival. Pissed off the pistol he snapped at me. Now I feel like Ive had my hands inside the tank too much today...

HarryPotter

So I just reached in and turned about 10 back over to give them one last chance for survival. Pissed off the pistol he snapped at me. Now I feel like Ive had my hands inside the tank too much today...

Join the hands-in club!!! :lol:

Trochus snails are stronger than those lil cerith a and the shrimp can't bother them in my experience.

Dumb question so don't kill me. Are you feeding your shrimp (pepps and pistol)? If not, maybe toss them some food and they'll leave the snails alone.

The peppermint always comes out when I drop in food. I try my best to use a syringe to force food down his way, but my asshole clowns seems to get their first pick of everything.

If I get food down to the pistols hole it floats away before he comes out. But I have seen him come out and scavenge somedays. I never know what hes up to besides making big piles of sand everywhere.

Trochus snails are stronger than those lil cerith a and the shrimp can't bother them in my experience.

Although they do pop frags off of rocks. But agreed - and they do a good job cleaning up. But they don't stir the sand bed like ceriths do and can't get into the tiny crevices.

HarryPotter

The peppermint always comes out when I drop in food. I try my best to use a syringe to force food down his way, but my asshole clowns seems to get their first pick of everything.

If I get food down to the pistols hole it floats away before he comes out. But I have seen him come out and scavenge somedays. I never know what hes up to besides making big piles of sand everywhere.

Hey if you're ever in South Miami, I'll trade you some random coral frags for a handful of snails :)

I will see what I have left in a few days, if not much I am already planning to pick up some Trochus from the lfs.

Yep, I guess Im in the hands-in club

HarryPotter

Although they do pop frags off of rocks. But agreed - and they do a good job cleaning up. But they don't stir the sand bed like ceriths do and can't get into the tiny crevices.

Hmm mine are mostly on the glass or sand, not really rocks. My frags are glued though :)

Hmm mine are mostly on the glass or sand, not really rocks. My frags are glued though :)

Mine are glued too... and they pop them off. frustrating! Mine don't spend any time on the sand or glass really... mostly the rocks. Banded trochus?

Hey if you're ever in South Miami, I'll trade you some random coral frags for a handful of snails :)

That will be cool if I ever make it down that far. I used to work off biscayne blvd, quit and never went back to Miami

HarryPotter

Mine are glued too... and they pop them off. frustrating! Mine don't spend any time on the sand or glass really... mostly the rocks. Banded trochus?

No idea what type! They keep the glass mostly clean, although I have Coraline that I need to take care of soon

That will be cool if I ever make it down that far. I used to work off biscayne blvd, quit and never went back to Miami

Yeah I don't have anything fancy on the racks, but a few Caps, Zoas, etc.

No idea what type! They keep the glass mostly clean, although I have Coraline that I need to take care of soon

Yeah I don't have anything fancy on the racks, but a few Caps, Zoas, etc.

More than what I got lol, but I really dont plan to add any coral until I get my water stable and these algea blooms gone.

Speaking of algea blooms, the lfs sold me a bag of seachem phosnet gfo, said to put it in my media basket and it should absorb the silicates. Is that good enough or should I shove the bag into my media reactor that Im still not using?

HarryPotter

More than what I got lol, but I really dont plan to add any coral until I get my water stable and these algea blooms gone.

Speaking of algea blooms, the lfs sold me a bag of seachem phosnet gfo, said to put it in my media basket and it should absorb the silicates. Is that good enough or should I shove the bag into my media reactor that Im still not using?

I've never had a bacteria bloom, can't help here. There are a couple great threads about them if you google a bit.

From what I've seen here on NR, water changes just fuel the bacteria. Ways to get rid of them (I believe) are UV, introducing competing bacteria, or figuring out what is causing your high nutrients.

Turn the lights off. Ceriths will burrow. Most the time they come out at night... so you should be ok. It'll subside, don't worry. It should help the algae bloom, and it's normal for a newly cycled tank. They will subside, give it time.

Turn the lights off. Ceriths will burrow. Most the time they come out at night... so you should be ok. It'll subside, don't worry. It should help the algae bloom, and it's normal for a newly cycled tank. They will subside, give it time.

Today my rocks look a little cleaner, I can tell where the snails have been on them, so they are working. A bunch of them now is piled at the top right corner next to the overflow. My pistol is still grabbing some, the shrimp has calmed down. One of my hermits though, the blue knuckle one had a big cerith and was pulling the snail out of its shell and eating it. Oh well, nature at its best I guess. Hopefully some of the cuc is smart enough to stay away, they must be the group up in the corner.

Water is still cloudy, my filter floss is turning brown within a day. Should I change it every day until the algea clears up?

Like I said the other day my lfs sold me a bag of seachem phosnet gfo, its a small portion bag for 50 gallons. Should I just leave it in the bag in my media basket? Or should I put the bag into my reactor? Whichever way is the best I guess.

Speaking of media baskets, I noticed my right one has the water level below the floss, and the left one the water level is at the top of the floss. Shouldnt they be equal?

HarryPotter

Today my rocks look a little cleaner, I can tell where the snails have been on them, so they are working. A bunch of them now is piled at the top right corner next to the overflow. My pistol is still grabbing some, the shrimp has calmed down. One of my hermits though, the blue knuckle one had a big cerith and was pulling the snail out of its shell and eating it. Oh well, nature at its best I guess. Hopefully some of the cuc is smart enough to stay away, they must be the group up in the corner.

Water is still cloudy, my filter floss is turning brown within a day. Should I change it every day until the algea clears up?

Like I said the other day my lfs sold me a bag of seachem phosnet gfo, its a small portion bag for 50 gallons. Should I just leave it in the bag in my media basket? Or should I put the bag into my reactor? Whichever way is the best I guess.

Speaking of media baskets, I noticed my right one has the water level below the floss, and the left one the water level is at the top of the floss. Shouldnt they be equal?

Yes, should be equal. One of your pumps is broken?

Yes, should be equal. One of your pumps is broken?

No. They are both pumping the same from what I can see. Could it be that my skimmer is on the right side also and is pulling more water down that side?

Archived