Coral Vue Hydros

NanoGeek's JBJ RL 45!

NanoGeek

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I could put one on the back wall to hide the wire some. My rocks would be in the way to have two back there. Would that be enough flow? Or do they work better on the sides?

I am finding the rw-4s with black or blue knobs on the controllers, have you heard of any differences between the two? Is one updated?

If you look at my thread, I have mine on the back rightside wall... and the mp10 just blowins behind the rocks. I'm not sure on the models, but mine is all black and its worked for over a year now..

I seen your thread, thats what gave me the idea to put one back there. Im pretty sure I have enough room in front of my skimmer to fit the magnet. I will figure something out. Will probably go ahead and order 2 of them.

On a side note, I went to the beach today, swam out about 75 yards, went down about 15 ft and collected a bottle of seawater. Im kind of curious to test it and see what the parameters are

NIce, you won't regret buying two. Nice! Yea me too, post results i'd like to see them

I ordered 2 rw-4s. I had a coupon on ebay I had to use by today anyways and the seller matched amazon price, so it turned out fairly cheap.

For the seawater I collected at the beach, the parameters were perfect. The salinity was a little high at 37ppt, but ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were all 0. PH was 8.2. I am assuming the salinity was high because I was so close to the coast. Next time I go diving I will get a bottle of water from a reef at 60ft or so.

I ordered 2 rw-4s. I had a coupon on ebay I had to use by today anyways and the seller matched amazon price, so it turned out fairly cheap.

For the seawater I collected at the beach, the parameters were perfect. The salinity was a little high at 37ppt, but ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were all 0. PH was 8.2. I am assuming the salinity was high because I was so close to the coast. Next time I go diving I will get a bottle of water from a reef at 60ft or so.

Where about are you where you can collect sea water?

Where about are you where you can collect sea water?

I live about 10 minutes from the beach in Boca Raton Fl. Deerfield beach is usually where we take the kids on weekends.

Sounds great.

Wish I could collect my own sea water.

I have thought about using it for water changes, but from what I have read its better to not get water from the beach as its too close to the shore and could be contaminated. And the thought of having to haul 5 gallon buckets all the way across the beach to the car is unappealing lol. I would just rather pay 2.50 for 5 gallons from the lfs.

Yea I wouldn't use the beach water as your source, but I don't really have any reasoning behind it other than I just trust my own water/salt. It's possible upwelling was happening bringing rich dense water up to the shore. You'll enjoy the rw-4s

Thanks, I'm very excited for the powerheads to get here! I'm noticing a problem with my cadlights skimmer. It happened once when I turned off the power on my power strip, when I turned the power back on the skimmer didnt work and I gave it a little shake and it started pumping again. I really didnt pay any attention then, but today we had a storm and the power flickered in my house. The skimmer quit working again. Again I gave it a little shake and it started working again. Any thoughts on this? I will probably email cadlights and ask them since its happened twice now.

My parameters dropped back down to 0 again today for ammonia and nitrite, nitrate dropped to 20. I think I will do a 10 percent water change today, and maybe add a fish or 2 next weekend. Fingers crossed...

Maybe there's some air stuck in the pump? or something blocking the propeller. I've had this happen to many pumps and just need to wiggle around a bit and get that air out of there. If it's not that, then definitely contact cadlights... Yup, i'd say your tank is cycled. Introduce fish slowly and check parameters...

Maybe there's some air stuck in the pump? or something blocking the propeller. I've had this happen to many pumps and just need to wiggle around a bit and get that air out of there. If it's not that, then definitely contact cadlights... Yup, i'd say your tank is cycled. Introduce fish slowly and check parameters...

Whenever you had to wiggle your pump, coukd you hear it trying to pump or was it silent like it wasn't moving at all? Mine is completely silent, then when I wiggle it it kicks on and I can hear/feel it. I did a 10 percent water change today and it came back on by itself when I turned the power back on. Maybe it was just air, I will keep an eye on it.

I am going to try to pick up a couple clowns at some point this week.

It would be silent but if I put my ear close under water it does have a slight buzz. But then again those were return pumps which were stronger than my skimmer pump. Even when my skimmer pump is on, it's damn near silent lol..

Most likely air build up...

Its been a couple days, but my tank was processing my ammonia dosing in 24 hours, so I went ahead and got 2 small clowns and a couple hermit crabs. No pics of the clowns yet because they wont stay still....but they eat well and stay active.

I did find a couple small pieces of live rock covered in coralline, very small I think they both weighed 1.2lb together. I didnt want to add them to the display tank because none of my rock has coralline and they would just stand out too much, maybe I should I dont know. So for now I just put them on the InTank fuge basket I got and dropped it in the back. Will the coralline die back there? I have read that some people scrape it off and spread it throughout the tank so it will start growing. The guy at my lfs mentioned this also. Should I do this or just put the rock in the tank?

Still havent received my powerheads yet, I guess the seller used some type of shipping with fedex that ends with usps delivering. He's one state away, and looks like it could take until next week according to fedex.

Nice! Well, since you don't like adding the rock to the main display you can scrape it off. Also, within time and proper consistent parameters, coraline will just grow. The coralline will not die back there. It's all up to you on what you want to do. If it was me i'd just leave it in the fuge. That shipping idea sounds pretty retarded. But, as long as you have a tracking number you're solid.

20150701_194626.jpg

20150701_194850.jpg

It only took about 25 tries to get a picture of them both. They wont be still and pose lol.

Yea I guess main reason for not adding the rock is I feel like it will change my scape also. Maybe in a couple days I can break it up into small pieces, golfball size or smaller and just put them in some of the cracks and crevices so my scape wont change. Those powerheads should give plenty enough flow to seed the rest of the rock.

Ive been scouting several close by fish stores to browse. One had a beauty of a green apple scoly, does that sound right? I think thats what they called it, but man it was expensive lol. Maybe one day....

The lfs I went to in Houston when I had my 65 gallon always had immaculate tanks, fish and livestock. Havent found a store here yet in FL that compares, they all seem like their upkeep isnt that great. Its good, just not great. Their fish and livestock all seem to be healthy, but it seems they would sell more with cleaner tanks.

Oh, and yea the shipping is retarded, the package is less than 1 hour away, called fedex and they said I probably wont get it until Monday

Nice! They will calm down once they get used to the tank. Mine never leave their torch unless i'm feeding lol. They're always swimming in it and very protective over it. Yea you can place them anywhere, or just scrape the coralline into the refugium. Scoly's are sweet! Maybe get a few start corals before you dig deep into your pockets just to test the waters. How are the clowns doing today?

Clowns are fine today. They do like to stay on the right side of the tank unless myself or the kids get close by then they will follow us. Called around today and found a pistol and a striped goby. I put them in and it was love at first sight. The pistol is already cleaning and building a burrow while the goby watches out. I cant believe they found each other so fast!

Water parameters are still 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and around 10 for nitrate but I will do a water change this weekend. I picked up another small piece of live rock covered in coralline, so I broke it up into small pieces and scattered it around my rockwork so my scape didnt change any.

Most surprising thing though was my powerheads being on my doorstep when I got home! Fedex tracking still says monday..... I installed both on the back wall, they are working great. As of now I still haven't had time to read through the instructions and figure out how I want them running. For now they are both set on mode A, the knob turned all the way to the slowest and about 3 bars lit up for fan speed.

20150702_191855.jpg

How do you make your pictures look so good wretched? Did you say you change the exposure or something on your note 4? I have the same phone, but I cant figure it out. Photography skills are lacking here lol

Everything is good, parameters still in check. I have been researching ro/di units. Originally was going to get a RO buddie, but found a holiday special at spectrapure, so I ordered one of their 90 gpd refurb units. Will it be ok to mount the unit on the wall outdoors next to my garden hose or should I put it under a sink?

Only other issue I am having right now is my clowns eat all the food I put in before anybody else has a chance to get anything. The goby waits until something goes towards him on the bottom, but that only happens if the clowns miss something. Any ideas on how to get food to the bottom of the tank for my goby? Maybe a long syringe?

HarryPotter

Everything is good, parameters still in check. I have been researching ro/di units. Originally was going to get a RO buddie, but found a holiday special at spectrapure, so I ordered one of their 90 gpd refurb units. Will it be ok to mount the unit on the wall outdoors next to my garden hose or should I put it under a sink?

Only other issue I am having right now is my clowns eat all the food I put in before anybody else has a chance to get anything. The goby waits until something goes towards him on the bottom, but that only happens if the clowns miss something. Any ideas on how to get food to the bottom of the tank for my goby? Maybe a long syringe?

Don't mount the spectra pure outdoors, use the sink.

You NEED Julien's thing. Google it! It's a long feeding device/syringe that can do anything from spot feed coral to blast detritus off rocks.

What power heads are those? Also, watch out for stocking fish too quickly.

Don't mount the spectra pure outdoors, use the sink.

You NEED Julien's thing. Google it! It's a long feeding device/syringe that can do anything from spot feed coral to blast detritus off rocks.

What power heads are those? Also, watch out for stocking fish too quickly.

Ok then sink it is, I can mount it under my spare bathroom sink and be done with it. I googled juliens thing and your right thats exactly what I need, so that's next on the order list. Thanks!

The powerheads are jebao rw-4s. I had some ebay bucks that was about to expire, and a seller kindly lowered his price to match amazon, so I ended up with 2 for 1 pretty much. Kind of debating though if they would be better on the sides? Or if they are fine on the back, obviously for now since I dont have anything that requires alot of waterflow the back is ok.

I have been monitoring everyday for any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes since adding the fish for a few days now and nothing so far. Not really looking for any more fish as of now. I know the wife wants another in there, she kept pointing at all the fish at the lfs that will eventually get too big and I kept telling her no lol. I'm trying to gain her interest in corals instead of fish, but I dont plan to even add 1 coral for at least a few more weeks until the tank gets a little more time.

What power supply did you say you had for power outages in your thread harry? I remember you mentioning it when your power went out, and now that peak hurricane season is coming up on us, I need to prepare for that also.

HarryPotter

Ok then sink it is, I can mount it under my spare bathroom sink and be done with it. I googled juliens thing and your right thats exactly what I need, so that's next on the order list. Thanks!

The powerheads are jebao rw-4s. I had some ebay bucks that was about to expire, and a seller kindly lowered his price to match amazon, so I ended up with 2 for 1 pretty much. Kind of debating though if they would be better on the sides? Or if they are fine on the back, obviously for now since I dont have anything that requires alot of waterflow the back is ok.

I have been monitoring everyday for any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes since adding the fish for a few days now and nothing so far. Not really looking for any more fish as of now. I know the wife wants another in there, she kept pointing at all the fish at the lfs that will eventually get too big and I kept telling her no lol. I'm trying to gain her interest in corals instead of fish, but I dont plan to even add 1 coral for at least a few more weeks until the tank gets a little more time.

What power supply did you say you had for power outages in your thread harry? I remember you mentioning it when your power went out, and now that peak hurricane season is coming up on us, I need to prepare for that also.

Nice deal on the RW-4s! Placement depends on how you like the flow- but personally I believe that with the returns coming from the back, the powerhead a might be better on the sides for erratic flow.

It's funny- I find corals so much easier than fish! I had corals in my tank almost immediately since they don't prodice any significant waste, unlike fish.

Yes, I have an Ecotech Battery Backup that can last me 72 hours (36 with the MP40). However that only works with Vortech pumps, so your Jebao ones would be incompatible.

Archived