Coral Vue Hydros

NanoGeek's JBJ RL 45!

NanoGeek

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't heard from you in a while sir, how's it going?

Yea its been a while. Im still around though, just haven't been posting. I ended up a while back getting a black clown and another goby. They are over eaters and act hungry all the time. They just stare at me anytime I am close to the tank until I drop some food in lol.

I havent really got any new corals though until I figure out what to do with my hermits. They have successfully eaten my torch, monti, and all of my zoas. And I feed them too. Usually dried seaweed which they seem to like. I still have a small toadstool, couple mushrooms, and a small scoli which the crabs dont seem to touch so they are all doing great.

Other than that I lost my job so I have been too broke to do anything else with the tank. Just been doing small water changes here and there, my skimmer really started working good. I need to do a water change this weekend. Thats about it. How is things out your way?

Yea its been a while. Im still around though, just haven't been posting. I ended up a while back getting a black clown and another goby. They are over eaters and act hungry all the time. They just stare at me anytime I am close to the tank until I drop some food in lol.

I havent really got any new corals though until I figure out what to do with my hermits. They have successfully eaten my torch, monti, and all of my zoas. And I feed them too. Usually dried seaweed which they seem to like. I still have a small toadstool, couple mushrooms, and a small scoli which the crabs dont seem to touch so they are all doing great.

Other than that I lost my job so I have been too broke to do anything else with the tank. Just been doing small water changes here and there, my skimmer really started working good. I need to do a water change this weekend. Thats about it. How is things out your way?

First off, toss them hermits. Find a new home whatever, that sucks! Hey I never buy new coral really, lets just let what you got grow! Post up a fts!

• 4 weeks later...

First off, toss them hermits. Find a new home whatever, that sucks! Hey I never buy new coral really, lets just let what you got grow! Post up a fts!

These hermits have to go! Now they are making my scoly their dinner so its not looking too hot now. I just feel bad about tossing them, but they are costing me alot of money. I haven't been to any lfs in a while, just started a new job a few weeks back, been working several hours extra everyday, so the tank is kindof on hold until everything else gets caught up.

Its staying pretty good though, my toadstool has doubled in size along with a shroom I have and a riccordia. Fish seem happy too, they are alot of fun to watch and showing a ton of character. The wife really wants me to add a couple more in there for some color. Soon maybe! Heres a few pics, nothing really has changed since my last pics though. Skimmer is working good though!

20151026_195630.jpg

20151026_195642.jpg

20151026_195743.jpg

20151026_195501.jpg

20151026_200214.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am having a nitrate problem. Seems like it has been in the 20-30ppm range for a couple months. I still do my regular 10% water change weekly with a 20% monthly. I dont think I overfeed, maybe I do. Usually its a small chunk of a frozen cube of brine shrimp mixed in with a little bit of oyster feast for the corals. A frozen cube will last me 4 or 5 days. Maybe too much oyster feast for the corals I do have?

I have a bag of biopellets I have never used, and a reactor I never use, but with the minimax reactor there is no way to plumb it inline with a skimmer, or put it in a chamber before the skimmer for that matter. So for that reason I have been hesitant to use the biopellets. My other media is chemipure blue, purigen and filter floss. Thats it. My water is always crystal clear. No algea except some diatoms on the back wall, I just let it stay there so its all in one spot.

On a positive note I am finally starting to see some purple coralline start to show up on my rocks!

Love that ricordia

Thanks! I am hoping its getting ready to split. Its doubled in size since I got it. I wish I felt comfortable taking it off the plug I would just attach it to the rock its on. Cant wait to some more in different colors!

Archived