Pod Your Reef

Orangutran

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.... did you ever do a 10 day complete black out for the dinos? I had dinos in the 29biocube and the only thing that worked was a 10 day complete blackout. Turbo snail and urchin starved, but corals and fish survived.

Sorry for you losses.

22 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.... did you ever do a 10 day complete black out for the dinos? I had dinos in the 29biocube and the only thing that worked was a 10 day complete blackout. Turbo snail and urchin starved, but corals and fish survived.

Sorry for you losses.

Hey thanks for the tip. I may have done a 6 day blackout at some point. But I'll take it to 10 if need be. I bet your snails and urchin died from the dino toxins, and not from starving. 

Yeah, losing my setosa hurt, I grew it from a little nub, and it actually crossed my mind to sell it because it was getting too big for my tank, which would have funded a tank upgrade! 

• 1 month later...

TANK UPDATE (last 2 months)

DINOS - Dinos wiped out all my sps and lps. Only thing left are zoas and one ric, plus a couple of btas for the clowns. 

ALGAE - I got rid of the dinos by running my tank dirty and UV, then cyano, diatom, and bryopsis took over with all the extra nutrients

HEATER MALFUNCTION - Then, my tank got cooked by my heater! Supposedly there is a defect in the Neo-therm 150w, where the setting would change to 94˚, and you can't lower it! I found out when I stuck my hand in the water and it was like a hot tub! That incident killed my beloved potter's angel. 😞 My daughter and I were very sad. Cobalt did send me a replacement right away (3 yr warranty), recognizing the defective batch. So, if you have one of these heaters with a code "22/15" on the wire, almost 3 years old, either put it on a controller or get a new heater. 

PINK STREAK WRASSE - All of a sudden my PSW was swimming sideways on the sand dragging its tail. I thought he was a goner, but he's gotten better the last few days. Not sure if it's old age, or illness. Anyone know how long they live? I've had mine for 2 years 8 months only. 

LOOKING AHEAD - Will keep battling the algae, and wait for my tank to stabilize before adding anything else. Would love to add more corals again, and some new fish!! 

Thanks for reading!

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

TANK UPDATE (last 2 months)

DINOS - Dinos wiped out all my sps and lps. Only thing left are zoas and one ric, plus a couple of btas for the clowns. 

ALGAE - I got rid of the dinos by running my tank dirty and UV, then cyano, diatom, and bryopsis took over with all the extra nutrients

HEATER MALFUNCTION - Then, my tank got cooked by my heater! Supposedly there is a defect in the Neo-therm 150w, where the setting would change to 94˚, and you can't lower it! I found out when I stuck my hand in the water and it was like a hot tub! That incident killed my beloved potter's angel. 😞 My daughter and I were very sad. Cobalt did send me a replacement right away (3 yr warranty), recognizing the defective batch. So, if you have one of these heaters with a code "22/15" on the wire, almost 3 years old, either put it on a controller or get a new heater. 

PINK STREAK WRASSE - All of a sudden my PSW was swimming sideways on the sand dragging its tail. I thought he was a goner, but he's gotten better the last few days. Not sure if it's old age, or illness. Anyone know how long they live? I've had mine for 2 years 8 months only. 

LOOKING AHEAD - Will keep battling the algae, and wait for my tank to stabilize before adding anything else. Would love to add more corals again, and some new fish!! 

Thanks for reading!

Man, what a rough ride!  I wouldn't have blamed you at all if you'd thrown in the towel.  Hope things start looking up soon!

• Thanks 1

O man, it seems like your tank couldn't catch a break there for a while!  I have been doing aquariums long enough however to know if you stay the course it will eventually straighten out.  Hang in there.

Choosing new coral and fish will help you regain your enthusiasm for the tank.

• Like 1

Sorry for all the loss and frustration. I probably would have given up but very glad to see you are tougher than me! Your tank was very beautiful and you certainly have the skill to get it there again.

• Thanks 1

Holy cow, what a plate full of misery! Chin up and charge forth! 

So your wrasse.....is he really dragging  like deaths door....? My six line is a freak. When he sees me, he used to twitch from side to side right on the glass. Now, he swims on his side pointed towards me nose up twitching then does a sideways backflip. He always flares his top fin spikes at me. Either he loves me or really hates me.

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Sounds rough but I like that you're looking ahead!

Congrats on getting rid of the dino outbreak and good luck reducing the algae.

Luckily the bryopsis is on the back wall only, so I scrape it off as it grows. The only thing left is the cyano, I'm trying to stay away from chemiclean, so just doing as many water changes / blackouts as possible. I've used chemiclean twice before, and both times it fuelled dinos.

21 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Man, what a rough ride!  I wouldn't have blamed you at all if you'd thrown in the towel.  Hope things start looking up soon!

Thanks! Not throwing in the towel yet, all the awesome tanks on N-R keeps me motivated. 🙂 

20 hours ago, vlangel said:

O man, it seems like your tank couldn't catch a break there for a while!  I have been doing aquariums long enough however to know if you stay the course it will eventually straighten out.  Hang in there.

Choosing new coral and fish will help you regain your enthusiasm for the tank.

I'm always cruising LFS, and it's very hard not to pick up any livestock! Must resist...

20 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Sorry for all the loss and frustration. I probably would have given up but very glad to see you are tougher than me! Your tank was very beautiful and you certainly have the skill to get it there again.

Appreciate your kind words, especially from a pro like you! 😄 Learning a lot from this set back. 

18 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

Holy cow, what a plate full of misery! Chin up and charge forth! 

So your wrasse.....is he really dragging  like deaths door....? My six line is a freak. When he sees me, he used to twitch from side to side right on the glass. Now, he swims on his side pointed towards me nose up twitching then does a sideways backflip. He always flares his top fin spikes at me. Either he loves me or really hates me.

He definitely loves you! I think he's courting you! 😉 

• Like 2
A Little Blue

Love your optimistic stand, refusal to give up and possibly using these experiences to build something better. You have been through a lot. Some people are ready to throw a towel when one of their hermits starts walking funny. 

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/29/2018 at 4:38 PM, A Little Blue said:

Love your optimistic stand, refusal to give up and possibly using these experiences to build something better. You have been through a lot. Some people are ready to throw a towel when one of their hermits starts walking funny. 

You give me too much credit! lol because I'm now thinking of pressing the reboot button...

The algae (cyano and bubble and bryopsis and diatom) is not getting better, since I don't want to lower my nutrients too much or else dinos will make a comeback. So against my better judgement, I used chemiclean (again!) to battle the cyano, but now I think I see a bit of dinos (without the cyano to compete with). It's a never ending cycle... How do I start over, but save the corals I have on my rocks? Is that possible? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/31/2019 at 2:10 PM, Justind823 said:

How are things looking this year?!

Wow it's been 3 years since my last update!? Time flies during a pandemic! 

My tank was in a bad place back in 2018, but lucky I kept going. Pretty sure I had dinos again, and all my corals died. But once I started to work from home because of covid, I had time to turn my tank around!  

Dec 2018:

MVIMG_20181204_212613.thumb.jpg.f6e80baf8f05b18c581f8c6c80f123ca.jpg

Dec 2021:

20211130_215006.thumb.jpg.7328dd69a49c15465ab92e0c790208a8.jpg

Yeah I haven't scraped the back wall in years, or sides because my tank is only viewable from the front! And I'm lazy! It's not the prettiest tank, but I'm as addicted as ever to reefing again! So... I ordered a custom tank that I picked up yesterday! 🙂 It's time to retire this one, which has been up six and a half years. It was a good run, lots of ups and downs, and learned a ton!

The tank transfer won't happen for a couple of months at least, but it'll have a new thread soon! And I promise I'll scrape the back wall on the new tank. 😉 

• Like 1